News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Here comes bloody nose season!

Started by Akwo, November 26, 2008, 05:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akwo

I don't know about you guys, but Winter brings bloody noses for me every year. My skin is really sensitive to dryness, so it cracks up easily. Luckily I use chap stick for my lips, and lotion for my hands, but I just wish there was something to stop bloody noses.

curiosityandthecat

No bloody noses for me (at least, not since I quit doing all that blow  :eek: ), but I do have psoriasis, which can flare up pretty bad during winter, especially with the hot showers and warm, dry air inside. That reminds me: I need to put my humidifier in the living room.
-Curio

rlrose328

I've had three nosebleeds so far in the past 2 weeks, one of them while I was out to lunch with the kid over the weekend.  I hate that!  It was a sneeze and a light blow and WHAM, all over the place.  Ugh.  Glad to know it's not just me.

It gets even worse if I get a cold and have to blow more frequently.

Keep the tissue handy!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Wechtlein Uns

That must blow. I feel sorry for you. Not too sorry. You can take care of yourself.
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

Akwo

Will

I've got a trick that's worked wonders for me: the humidifier. Start up a humidifier about an hour before bed and run it until you wake up. I've been using one since I was maybe 15 and it's helped to eradicate my dry nose issues.

During the day, bundle up. Wrap a scarf around your face (made from natural fibers). The moisture from your breath remains in the scarf for your next breath and helps keep things relatively hydrated.

And please, don't forget to drink at least 100 oz. of water a day. More if you're exercising (and one should exercise daily).
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Wraitchel

As a mom, I learned a neat trick that is simpler than firing up a humidifier every night (and healthier...high humidity encourages the growth of dust mites, mold, and other biological ickies in the home). I put a bit of Vaseline on a Q-tip and rub it around just barely inside little nostrils, very gently. It softens and protects the skin and eradicates the problem.

ONZero

Try a little petroleum jelly as recommended in the last post.  Don't use anything medicated as that tends to irritate and cause more sneezing.  If your beak gets really dry and sore, try drying out a few baby wipes and useing them for tissues.  They seem to help with very dry and chapped noses.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Akwo"but I just wish there was something to stop bloody noses.

If that doesn't work, try ear plugs.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Akwo

I use cotton balls, just plug one in the nostril that's bleeding and it stops it completely. Also, I have been considering getting a humidifier, but wasn't sure if it'd work. I'll make sure to get one, or try the petroleum jelly.

Asmodean

I've also heard the doctors can do something to your nose that is more of a permanent fix, but not sure what it is... For my bloody noses, balls of toilet paper do the trick...  :unsure:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.