News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Humanized mice

Started by Old Seer, June 23, 2020, 05:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

There was a county here in Georgia, about forty years ago I guess, where the sheriff told a black man that he shouldn't be in the county after dark. I'm trying to remember which county that was.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

norman, oklahoma was a sundown city until 1967, i think, seven years before i came back to america to go to college there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundown_town#:~:text=Sundown%20towns%2C%20also%20known%20as,laws%2C%20intimidation%2C%20and%20violence.

if you were black you had to be out of city limits by sundown.   the towns in oklahoma and texas where i lived still have white town and nigger town to separate the people by race.

my sister was a teacher at university of tennessee in chaatanooga, theatrical department. she lived in a place called signal mountain. she often had people from the university up to her house, but the black people didn't like to go there after dark in case they had car trouble. this was her next door neighbor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_De_La_Beckwith

i may have mentioned this, but when i lived in midland texas (home of george h bush) the back alleys in white town were paved, but the residential cross streets in nigger town were still dirt. at 5this time midland had more millionaires per capita than any other city in the us.

not meaning to offend anybody by calling the neighborhoods by their names. until they go away i don't think there's any place to be trying to sugarcoat what they are and how theyre maintained.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

not just the south. my fathers family was from new england, and i grew up pwimming at this beach in madison in the summers

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/connecticuts-beaches-were-largely-limits-african-americans-through-1970s-180969494/

Magdalena

Am I the only one who feels the horrible history of how whites have treated African Americans throughout its history should be discussed under social issues and causes and not under the title, Humanized mice, in the science section? There is nothing scientific about that shit.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

It's unfortunate but, humans have had a horrible history of treating other humans deplorably. This is just the latest rendition. This awful, disgusting moment in human history being experienced right now. Humans are just not good creatures.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: No one on June 24, 2020, 07:50:23 PM
It's unfortunate but, humans have had a horrible history of treating other humans deplorably. This is just the latest rendition. This awful, disgusting moment in human history being experienced right now. Humans are just not good creatures.

Humans are vicious creatures. How do you think we survived to get here, anyway!? I grew up being told to be nice. I got walked all over, my entire life (with a couple of exceptions).

No one

There is quite a difference between killing to survive, and killing because of prejudiced ignorance.

Icarus

Mags is right about the section choice.  I agree that we "honkies" have a shameful past for our treatment of people of color. We still have some room for improvement one would imagine.

I began to contemplate the savage treatment of black people in 1948...or maybe it was 49.  I was in the National Guard in Tampa. My unit, the 116th field artillery had just returned from summer training in Fort Jackson S.C.  We had just gotten home and were almost immediately ordered to return to the armory.

A small citrus growing town, Groveland, about 75 miles from Tampa had gone berserk. The Guard was called into service to quell the threats to the entire negro population of the town. A young white girl had claimed that she was raped by four black men.  The white people went nuts and had taken up arms with an unbridled aim to wipe out the entire black population.

The near disaster was diverted because the Guard was also armed. We had to camp out for about a week before the madness had simmered down a bit.  The long and short of the story was that the girl was lying.  It had not been the black guys who raped her.  It had been her white boyfriend who persuaded her to have sex with him.  In those days a small town girl losing her virginity before marriage was considered an unthinkable sin.  She had to make up some kind of tale to cover her loss of eligibility.

No black people were murdered but the town remained angry for a long time after that event.  The falsely accused young black guys have all died since that time.  Only recently has the Governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, issued a full posthumous pardon for the "Groveland four".

That was an event that opened my eyes about the incivility and downright abuse heaped upon anyone who was black.  I pondered that situation and became much more conscious of the uninhibited hate that the white people had for the blacks. The damned citrus farmers of that region seemed unable or unwilling to realize that they would be out of business without the negros who tended their groves and did the harvesting.   We still have some of that irrationality going on in our agricultural industry today.  Most of the harvesters are Hispanics who are treated shabbily.  All this makes me know that some of those disadvantaged people are the ones that make it possible for me to have the veggies that I like so much.  The FFA (Future Farmers of America) have a saying: No farmers, no food.

Incidentally, While Florida is mostly known for its tourist industry,  It is one of the largest producers of agricultural products in the nation.   

billy rubin

two of them were shot by the sheriff and his deputy while in custody. one died.

Randy

Reversing the theme here a little, and I know this isn't about mice anymore. Have there been any newsworthy (not necessarily in the news but should have been) killings of white by black? I am having a hard time contemplating that prejudice is all one sided. Malcom X in his early days was prejudice.

I've heard about rap music where there were talk about cop killings. I've never heard the songs myself, I can barely make out what they are saying. I'd need the lyric sheets.

It's just a thought and doesn't change the fact that what we've been seeing in the news is downright wrong and those cops need justice handed to them harshly.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tom62

Last thing I heard was that chess, math, milk and using fancy words are now considered racist as well.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

Quote from: Tom62 on June 26, 2020, 05:19:04 AM
Last thing I heard was that chess, math, milk and using fancy words are now considered racist as well.
Where?
And what does that have to do with Humanized mice?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

Here is an example of six white cops killing a white man with bipolar disorder.
I'm curious to see if any protests break out. It's an interesting read. Still nothing to do with mice but is kind of on topic as of late.

Tom62

Quote from: Magdalena on June 26, 2020, 06:42:32 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on June 26, 2020, 05:19:04 AM
Where?
And what does that have to do with Humanized mice?

Everything, because mice can be racists as well  :snicker1:
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Old Seer

From what I understand of it, from Psycho types that I know. Everyone is racist, and it's part of ones natural psychological makeup. Its in the category of self protection and defense system. We are naturally suspicious and curious when differences in others not of one's own race are observed. As the saying is, birds of a feather flock together, and some are more racist then others. A person should become aware when it's mentally present, determine if there is a danger and if not over-ride the condition - with most that takes place automatically.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.