News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Air brakes? Tie into the lines and pump them up.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

no if they were air brakes i would have just backed the shoes off and been done. theyre these weird lucas meritor hydraulic things that run the shoes in and out on a mechanical screw or somethin rather than just spring brakes like an ordinary air system. ive been kicking myslef for not buying the F800 i had a chance at that had air brakes and a big block chevy instead of thjis weird 370 ford propane motor. but i thought it was too much money. lomng ago now

but the problem is solved. i bitched to my boss friday and he said, just a minute . . .

came back and told me, my neighbor will let me use his skid steer for $350.

i said lets do it

he came by today and this little skid steer to my abiding amazement picked the back end of this 10,000 pound truck up in the air and we pushed it 2000 feet down the road to my hayfield, with me forcing the steering of the dead stick truck the whole way.

then he pushed it too far and its partly blocking the door to my shop but i said

GOOD ENUFF

and will not complain

especially because he also picked up my outhouse and set it down on top of the new hole too. havent been able to remodel the bathroom for three years because the forklift mast wont go up and the outhouse is on a concrete slab. weve been using five gallon buckets the whole time.

but its repositioned on th enew hole thats been waiting since the coal company dug us a new well.

and my life is more simple than it was when i woke p.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

and anyway im fed up with the propane motor. im going to take off the propane carburetter and demand valve and just bolt on a 600 cfm four barrel holley, then buy a tank with an electric fuel pump and run the pig on gasoline. its a good truck-- 20 foot flat bed and a beehive loader that i paid $8000 to rebuild and dont need anymore.

but if youre running a farm, a flatbed truck is a good thing to have, and for the price of a carburetor and a fuel tank i can get this thing moving again. it holds 120 beehives but i dont think ill be running a whole lot of bees from here on,.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

and its racing season again!

two and maybevthree kids are going to run the little ninja up to 110 mph

and im looking for 140 on the 1965 triumph

billy rubin

well, we're headed to th efar north of america in a month.

im racing the 1965 triumph, currently the fastest machine of its kind that has ever been, at 135 mph.

not that im bragging.

and the kids are racing the little 250 ninja, also a record holder at 109 mph.

im going to experiment with oxygenated fuel. its legal in my class, and may give me another three or four mph. if it does, i may break the 139.266 record, which is the fastest triumph 650 ever. that will be a significant record for this machine.

the kids are running a mchine that they hold records in at around 109 mph. but they bang on the rev limiter if theres a tailwind, and i have two smaller rear sprockets to let them overcome that definiciency, if possible.

30 days to prep everything. the triumph needs me to change wheels, and the ninja needs a front tire swap, as the currnt brand new pirelli is not as brand new as it needs to be to prevent a front wheel speed wobble.

i tossed myself into the air years ago at 115 mph on a front wheel speed wobble on my commuter, and i wont subject my kids to the same thing. so the new tire is a requirement.

onwards and upwards.

billy rubin

the number two daughter, me, and the number two son

everybody has records in different classes.

this year the daughter is busy with work, but the number three son is going to race for the first time.

ive run out of children, after him.

time for a life re-assessment, i guess.

jumbojak

I wish I could take photos at work for you guys. The car collection is impressive. We have a pump for leaded gasoline to keep everything authentic.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

what kind of place do you work at now?

can you sneak photos out at all?

jumbojak

It's a rich man's vacation property. He keeps part of his car collection here.

billy rubin

ah

i understand the no photography thing

Asmodean

I'm contemplating an end to the recession and then, sell some stock without loss to then upgrade to The Deutschmann 3.0 (A Opel Insignia 2018 or newer. Want one of those. All long and comfortable and motorway-cruiser-like)

If I were a sensible Asmo, I'd just wait a few years and get that midlife crisis convertible, buuut... Wants that Insignia. Soon.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Anne D.

Quote from: billy rubin on June 09, 2022, 08:09:56 PM

the number two daughter, me, and the number two son

everybody has records in different classes.

this year the daughter is busy with work, but the number three son is going to race for the first time.

ive run out of children, after him.

time for a life re-assessment, i guess.

Very cool pic!

billy rubin

races in a month.

i need fuel, and the price has gone WAY up.

ive been running VP C12 leaded gasoline. it has an octane rating of 112, which works with my machine's 1930s-era cylinder head. used to be US$60 for five gallons, which worked out okay for my motorcycle that gets about 8 mpg.

american gallons.

but im going to experiment with oxygenated fuel. the VP fuel guy recommended two blends, but tbeir octane ratings are only 93 and 101. i am very leery of detonating my motor on that stuff but i called the fuel guy in maine to see about availabolity. doesnt matter about the low octane because he doesnt have any.

what he does have is Q16, an oxygenated fuel he runs in his 130 mph snowmobile.

tbeyre insane up tbere. 130 mph in a snowmobile is bat shit crazy.

anyway, its $153 per can, so im buying only four. my neighbour wants me to pickup some C12 for him too so thats the same price as well.

$25 per US gallon is pretty hot shit gasoline.

ive ordered three sizes up larger carburetor jets to make sure i can jet the mixture correctly but im calling back for three more

amd now my NGK B9ES spark plugs have been doscontinued. ill have to count what i have

Icarus

Oxygenated fuel has the potential for destroying your engine.  The deal goes like this......you need enough oxygen in the fuel mixture to affect a rapid and complete burn.More oxy will burn more fuel and prduce a hotter piston charge.  Stoichiometric ratios for fuel air is at about 14.7 pounds of atmospheric air to one pound of gasoline. That will give you enough oxygen content in the air to burn the fuel completely. 

We can carburate or inject any amount of fuel that we desire.  We cannot inject more atmospheric air than the inlet system is capable of passing through the inlet passages and past the inlet valves. So it is tempting to mess with the fuel chemistry in order to get more oxygen into the combustion chamber. .............I warn you that excess oxy in the charge mixture will cook your engine in a New York Instant.   Billy, you have been around long enough to know what happens when you lean down the mixture in a two stroke engine. So beware of trick fuels. The idea is right, inject more oxygen, but the possible outcome as in a wasted engine, is to be carefully assessed.   

Anne D.

Looking for advice and guidance from folks much more knowledgeable than I am.

Though my dad was a mechanic (and seemed to think his knowledge would somehow pass down to his daughters through osmosis), I am not at all all a petrol head. But I do dearly love my 2003 subaru impreza wrx. She has been much better to me than I've been to her. She is still running fairly strong, though I've had to put, on avg., about 800 US dollars into her yearly for the last maybe 8 years. But she's showing her age, and various small things keep going wrong that I'm not willing to put in $ for to fix (e.g., keyless entry hasn't  worked for years--not a battery issue; lock to the hatchback trunk is broken so I just don't ever keep valuables in the car; AC seems to go out every summer; disturbing noises from under the car lately that I've been ignoring as work has been busy). I think about getting a "new" subaru, but have a visceral dislike of computerized cars, so if I were  to get a "new" car, I'd want a subaru from before the computers went in. I know "computerized" means a variety of things, but I'm meaning to convey when the dash panel became like a computer desktop. And I'd want a manual transmission. But when I price these, they're 22K and up US dollars. I could take on a car note, somewhat comfortably, but am trying to weigh whether it's worth it. If you were me, would you just keep on trucking with the 2003 car or get a, say, 2015 or 2016 model, or do something else? I know this is very subjective, but would appreciate others' thoughts. Thanks in advance.