News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Sphincter control moments!

Started by Tank, January 08, 2024, 11:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I would not have liked to have been a passenger on the Alaska Airlines flight were a panel blew out! Apparently the part was found in a back garden so all the bits of the jigsaw are available for the FAA to examine.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Heh... I watch Mentour Pilot's channel. Swedish, but highly recommended. :smilenod:

https://www.youtube.com/@MentourPilot

I especially approve of that one landing of a plane with no - no - hydraulics by differential throttle control. Bloody well done and certainly a sphinctery moment for the pilots involved.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

that alaska plane panrl seems to have been an entire emergency exit door assembly

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on January 08, 2024, 03:45:31 PMthat alaska plane panrl seems to have been an entire emergency exit door assembly

It does. And this morning the BBC reported that other Alaska Airlines 737s had loose bolts on the same panels in other aircraft. I don't know if other airlines have reported issues on their planes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

actually i read now that it was a blanking panel covering a hole where an emergency door could be installed if ordered.

at 16000 feet the atmospheric pressure is about 500 millibars.

so tbe door was holding back one atmosphere of pressure. nothing was sucked out except some cell phonez, apparently.

what if it had blown out at 30000 feet? how many seat rows would have gone out?

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

The Magic Pudding..

I'm finding it so hard to give a fuck
All those  entitled travelling the world
I spent a December week in New York
Did that last year, Hawaii Yule for me
Why don't you all just fall into the sea
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

Eh... If someone wants to go galavanting around the world, then why ever not? I highly doubt that that is the majority of commercial fliers, however, based on admittedly-subjective observation that whenever I happen to be at an airport, the rest of my fellow passengers are largely going to work, just like me.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

Icarus

Boeing stock price is in the toilet at this time. They are in a heap of trouble and rightly so. A curious  sidelight is that a long term Boeing quality control man, who was a whistleblower, is now mysteriously dead.

When manufacturing corporation stock holders and corporate officers succumb to greed, shit happens. That is true for many products from airplanes to condoms.

Asmodean

The abovementioned Mentour Pilot actually did a video on that door situation. Does look like a QC failure since the incident would have been prevented by reinstalling the retainer bolts they took out.

I think it's not so much a downside of greed directly as it is one of cutting corners due to greed - or even just to legitimately save money. There are ways to do that - and there are ways not to.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

The CEO and other high ranking officers at large corporations, such as Boeing,have stock holders to satisfy. Their compensation is influenced by the profitability of their company.

Too many CEOs who are paid $8 mil per year, are cursed with a greed factor that makes them want 10 mil per year. Gotta produce more for lower cost of production....Executive types with advanced business management degrees do not work on the production floor.  They have no idea about the hows and whys and limitations of production. Cutting corners and pressuring the labor force, can improve profit margins for a limited period of time. Sure as God made little green apples, the shit will hit the fan eventually.

How come I know about such stuff?  During my working career I was plant manager at three different manufacturing facilities. At one of those facilities I was pressured to have my people produce more for less cost. In fact my people were producing more units and better quality results for the same overall cost than our competitors....But the god damned executives demanded more. Greed is one of the seven deadly sins. 

Asmodean

That does certainly happen. One sees it from the investor side as well. Personally, I try to avoid "bigger fool investment," which is buy, then sell everything near a peak, the run-up to which damages the company, but there are fortunes out there made this way.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.