News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Looks like a great time was had by all!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

we have manyfewer kittens.

i suspect the raccoons

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

well, the raccoons are very happy.

they eat my chickens, so kittens are fairgame too

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

nah, we re only down 8 or 9 kittens after all.  i counted 19 cats on the porch this morning, not to include three or four toms who i havent seen in a long time. but they come back , generally with more scars

good thing we re not feeding elephants

billy rubin

https://www.facebook.com/100009160652437/videos/2668650370116959/?t=8

heavens life is too short

i would love to do this. ive ridden monkey once in my life, briefly, on the chair of an old 650 yamaha up in maine. but the techniquiqe of hanging off the side of th emachine as far out as you can, to keep it from rolling over on the turns is superbly exhilerating.

if i were 50 years younger, i would be a sidecar monkey studying evolutionary ecology of endoparasites in the great barrier reef.

or maybe not

Icarus

There is a certain element of Brit behaviour that is subject to question. They do seem to like the side hack sport.

billy rubin

Bad Penny II

I'm going to put this grump in this thread, although it should be in the grump thread.

Double lines in the middle of the road, they mean don't cross.
OK, if you can see no one is coming, why not borrow a bit.
People Vehicles can see other vehicles coming but they think it's OK to travel on the lines or a bit over... is this a question of morality or ethics?  The vehicles tradespeople use, probosably called pickups in USA, they seem to do it a lot.  I don't seem to be using all of my road?  But the fkn trumps can't conceive of the poetic line I was going to take through that curve, now curtailed by the stupid trumps.  I'd make them dead if I could be sure it wouldn't be traceable.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Icarus

Not too sure about BPs above post.  Sidehacks are one thing and dispensing with Trumps quite another..............Is the word trump an Aussie expression that i do not fully understand?......Quite likely, but I continue below with a line of thought that is more familiar.   It is about Trumpers.

Not using other parts of the road and also dispensing with trumps bring to mind some other options.  In Florida, we have wicked little palm trees called Robelini palms.  They sprout the most vicious of thorns. About 4 inches or 10m cm long and painfully hard and sharp. Those thorns could be tipped with curare or other poison.  When propelled by a reasonably silent instrument, say a slingshot, they could dispatch numerous trumpers, anti vaxers, and 'Stop the steal" lunatics...............

Sorry bout the distraction.  Back to side cars........... uhmmm,  I mean chairs. 

billy rubin

dammit

im only home on weekends driving flatbed.

here i am on first day with winter closing in and i want to ride my motorcycle.

and its been raining all day.

billy rubin

i was listening to this interesting woman and was struck by what she said about her dialog being turned off while she was balancing stones.

this is exactly what happens to me when i race. all my waking time, every day, im thinking, talking to myself, speaking, listening and interpreting and storing and retrieving things in my head. nonstop busyness.

except when i ride a motorcycle, and most especially when i race.

when i leave the start line on a top speed run, all the inner chatter stops, the voice goes away, and it becomes dead quiet. the faster i go, the quieter it becomes. at 130 miles per hour the exhaust is roaring, the machine is bouncing, the vibration is so intense my vision is blurring, my helmet is slamming into the forks, but its completely silent in my head until i pass through the lights and let off on the throttle. id like to do this more often, but life gets in the way

im curious as to what artists are doing in their heads when they create something. not necessarily in the planning or technical preparation, maybe, but in the actual act of sculpting or woodworking or painting or playing a musical instrument.

what is happening in your head when you do this?

Tank

It's making things that absorbs me.

billy rubin

well i bought em. havent seen em yet, these are pictures he sent me

these ancient instruments are a pair of the rare and sought after AMAL GP2 carburetors, marketed first in 1962 and mostly obsolete by 1967. racing only- no idle adjustment, complicated to adjyst, parts extrememly expensive and sometimes unobtainable. both then and now.

these were the carbs fitted to the 1966 BSA spitfire mk2, the superbike of its day at 125 mph, supposedly.
the were on the last of the goldstars as well.

hard to find and as arcane a device as they come. but even though these are the small ones, at 1-5/32 inches acrossthe venturi, their smoothbore design makes them flow vast amounts of air. are they better than the 35mm keihin flat slides im running now? i dont know. im not sure i have wrung it all out of what i have yet.

this setup comes straight off a BSA spitfire-- it was an early takeoff around 1966, and set aside. the guy i bought em from had em hanging on the wall for the last 30 years. and they come with an extra body and two extra pairs of slides. hopefully the slides are different cutaways, because GP2s are tuned with the slide, and theyre 75 pounds apiece now.

but theyre a fascinating mechanism, and carburetters have always fascinated me anyway.