News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Any fellow musicians here?

Started by leftyguitarjoe, June 26, 2008, 10:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I have zero musical talent but admire those that do and we appear to have a few new members who are musicians, so I bumped this thread!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

johnnyrobbo

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum yesterday. I play the guitar & wish I could sing... but I can't  :D

Cheers,

John.

Tank

My whole family wish I could sing, trouble is I can't, but that never stopped me!  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Cecilie

I've always wanted to play the drums. Problem is: don't have the money or the space for it.
The world's what you create.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Thumpalumpacus

I've been playing guitar for 30+ years.  I play blues, jazz, and hard rock/metal, and general fingerpicking, but blues is really my true love.  I play both acoustic and electric, and fool around with a slide sometimes too.  My favorite players are Albert King, Mike Bloomfield, SRV, Wes Montgomery, Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, and about 800 others.  My last paying gig was playing bass in a blues band, which ended last year when our guitarist pulled a major flake-job on us.  Right now I'm trying to get a sort of "guitar circle" thing going on here, meetups in my back yard with good barbecue, good beer, and players of all levels just sitting down and sharing licks.

My electric rig is an Epiphone SG through a Peavey Valveking 212.  My acoustic is a Takamine GS330, a decent budget guitar that sounds great, on which I'll do open-mike nights.  My bass rig is a Warwick Corvette 5str through a Peavey 200w.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Squid

Wow, not sure how I missed this the first time.  Anyhow, I've played here and there, off and on for about 15 years but only really started seriously playing about 6 years ago.  I've had a couple of wanna be bands and one actual band just did very small, local gigs.  Now I'm hoping to put together another band, it's slow going at the moment with my relocated back to my hometown but I've got a vocalist and a bassist so far.  We're trying to put together a band from the ground up since all of us had been in bands previously but lost or sold all our equipment - the only thing I kept was my software and my Washburn X16.  However, since my folks own a music store (which I did the website for, yay me) I can get some great gear pretty cheap, now I just need the cash!

Anyhow I created a Myspace for the band and I have some (very) rough demo stuff - just guitar at the moment - up to listen to.  Anyhow here it be:

http://www.myspace.com/shotgunvengeance

panflutejedi

As for me, the pan flute is my chosen weapon, but I have been playing the Native American flute even longer, since I was 7 years old. My father was Lakota (Sioux), of the Oglala fire, and came from the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota. While on duty in the army in a tank unit, he met a young German lady, one thing led to another, and 9 months later........BOING! Out jumped little Douglas. When I was 3 months old, before he left for redeployment to Vietnam (where he was KIA), he left his flute with my mother, telling her, "For my son".

I still have my father's flute, and my now 2-year-old son Lucas will receive it when he is big enough to play it, rather than using it as a chew-toy. :D
Douglas Bishop
http://www.panflutejedi.com

An Inuit hunter asked the local missionary priest: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" "No," said the priest, "not if you did not know." "Then why," asked the Inuit earnestly, "did you tell me?"  ~Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

tymygy

I've played guitar for 5 years, piano for 1, and I've actually heard of your band  :)  

The music I write is more along the lines of Slipknots album Iowa.

I also sing and scream.

P.S. YOU GUYS F*CKING ROCKK
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

Dretlin

Started drums at 7, guitar at 16, piano at 19 and started to sing about a year ago.

I want to be a composer for a living, hence when I am studying it for the next several years starting next week!

Asmodean

Quote from: "tymygy"I also sing and scream.
Oh! Yeah, I do that too at need. Using a vocoder, mostly.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

JuggernautJon

I've played guitar for 5 years. Drums for 12. I sing and write my own songs. I hate playing covers, but if I do, I add my own style to it. I mainly play guitar and sing/write songs nowa days. Strictly acoustic.  My songs are about drugs, religion, and tongue in cheek put-downs about my ex-wife. 90s music is my inspiration (especially my favorite: blind melon.) I have a few songs on youtube...but nothing worth listening to in my opinion. But I am my own biggest critic.
I come from the water

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.

tubbyman

joeactor

Quote from: "tubbyman"I write music for a living- not exactly cutting edge but it means I dont have to bag groceries  :)

Hey... cool stuff... and you get to do what you love for a job (Woo and indeed hoooo ;-)

JuggernautJon

Any tips on trying to start a music career?
I come from the water

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.