News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

20 days till Christmas!

Started by xSilverPhinx, December 05, 2017, 09:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2017, 12:50:20 AM
You guys do not have Santa-friendly homes. :sad sigh:

:P
:snicker:

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 21, 2017, 12:43:11 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 20, 2017, 11:07:56 PM
Oh! This reminds me...
It's time!!!
MONOLOGUE: JOHN MALKOVICH READS 'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/twas-the-night-monologue/n12380?snl=1

:lol:

If Santa wants to get into my apt, he'll have to climb up the fire escape and then break down two doors.  Plenty of time to load up ol' Betsy.
:grin: ..."Because in the state of California there's a home invasion law, where it's actually legal to shoot someone just for entering your residence."  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on December 21, 2017, 07:20:22 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2017, 12:50:20 AM
You guys do not have Santa-friendly homes. :sad sigh:

:P
:snicker:

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 21, 2017, 12:43:11 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 20, 2017, 11:07:56 PM
Oh! This reminds me...
It's time!!!
MONOLOGUE: JOHN MALKOVICH READS 'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/twas-the-night-monologue/n12380?snl=1

:lol:

If Santa wants to get into my apt, he'll have to climb up the fire escape and then break down two doors.  Plenty of time to load up ol' Betsy.
:grin: ..."Because in the state of California there's a home invasion law, where it's actually legal to shoot someone just for entering your residence."  ;D

And thanks to John Malkovich, I now know that.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

This reminds me of the unrelated story of a burglar in Brazil who broke into a house, got attacked and bitten by the family dog and sued the family for damages.  ::)

He didn't win though. Our justice system would be more of a joke than it already is if he had.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2017, 12:07:47 PM
This reminds me of the unrelated story of a burglar in Brazil who broke into a house, got attacked and bitten by the family dog and sued the family for damages.  ::)

He didn't win though. Our justice system would be more of a joke than it already is if he had.

A burgular in Britain tried to sue the police for causing the loss of his property. He lost an expensive trainer in the struggle on his arrest.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on December 21, 2017, 12:34:20 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2017, 12:07:47 PM

A burgular in Britain tried to sue the police for causing the loss of his property. He lost an expensive trainer in the struggle on his arrest.

All the ridiculousness of the world... :tellmemore:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 18, 2017, 12:47:30 AM
Kahlua is an interesting name, but did you name him after a coffee-flavoured liqueur? :notsure:

(I googled it. :P )

Yes he was named after the liquor, when he was a little puppy he was much darker, sort of a reddish-brown, same colour as the liquor...I didn't name him, he's my neighbors dog, but he's also my best friend. We are dog sitting him for a couple weeks.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 21, 2017, 01:15:18 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 18, 2017, 12:47:30 AM
Kahlua is an interesting name, but did you name him after a coffee-flavoured liqueur? :notsure:

(I googled it. :P )

Yes he was named after the liquor, when he was a little puppy he was much darker, sort of a reddish-brown, same colour as the liquor...I didn't name him, he's my neighbors dog, but he's also my best friend. We are dog sitting him for a couple weeks.

Lucky dog, getting pampered by two families!  ;D

xSilverPhinx

I was thinking, maybe that's why Santa wears red, to hide signs of blood if he gets shot, much like Deadpool.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2017, 10:21:56 PM
I was thinking, maybe that's why Santa wears red, to hide signs of blood if he gets shot, much like Deadpool.

Maybe, in some weird, alternate reality, Santa is Deadpool gone to seed.
Sandy

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 21, 2017, 10:36:19 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2017, 10:21:56 PM

Maybe, in some weird, alternate reality, Santa is Deadpool gone to seed.

:lol: Maybe.

Sandra Craft

Semi-serious question:  am I really the only person on Earth who loves fruitcake?  I haven't been able to find any in the stores for years, and when I ask people look at me as if I'm crazy to want it.  At this point I'll have to start making my own.
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 22, 2017, 12:51:43 AM
Semi-serious question:  am I really the only person on Earth who loves fruitcake?  I haven't been able to find any in the stores for years, and when I ask people look at me as if I'm crazy to want it.  At this point I'll have to start making my own.

I like semi-like fruitcake.  :computerwave:

The last time I saw a fruitcake at the store was many years ago at a, Super A Foods Store, in the LA area. I don't even know if they have those stores anymore.  :notsure:

Try to find one and call them.  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on December 22, 2017, 06:29:05 AM

The last time I saw a fruitcake at the store was many years ago at a, Super A Foods Store, in the LA area. I don't even know if they have those stores anymore.  :notsure:

Try to find one and call them.  :)

I dimly remember Super A, haven't seen one in years.  Will look tho, I'm becoming desperate.
Sandy

hermes2015

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 22, 2017, 12:51:43 AM

If you do want to make your own, it is worth the effort. I know and love Fanny Cradock's white fruit cake that we used to make. I could only find this non-metric recipe:

Fannys Famous White Christmas Cake

7 oz sifted self raising flour
31/2 oz cornflour
9 1/2 oz floured, rough cut glacé cherries
8 oz rough cut glacé pineapple
7 1/2 oz unsalted butter
8 oz sifted icing sugar
4 eggs
4 oz mixed diced peel
8 oz sultanas
2 oz roughly chopped walnuts or hazelnuts
2 oz diced angelica
2 fl oz brandy
Grated rind and juice of an orange
1 teaspoon each of orange flower water and rose water

Sift the flour and cornflour together, set aside. In another bowl, mix the cherries, pineapple, peel, sultanas, nuts and angelica. In a third bowl, mix brandy, flower waters and orange juice. Add the eggs and whip thoroughly. Cream the butter until very soft. Gradually whip in the sugar and orange rind. With your hands, take a handful of flour and mixed fruits with a little liquid and beat up by hand. Keep adding until all mixed. Turn into prepared tin, sit in a base of brown papers and bake for one hour at Gas Mark 3, then turn down the heat to Gas Mark 2 1/2 for a further 20 minutes. Test with a skewer or listen for singing. If required bake for another 20 minutes at reduced heat of Gas Mark 2. Cover with almond paste when cold, ice with fondant.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Thank you, Hermes.  It seems I must make my own fruit cake since after an hour of online searches the only place I could find selling any was Walmart.  I despise Walmart.
Sandy