News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Traumatic stress changes brains of boys, girls differently

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 12, 2016, 06:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I came across this article which I thought I'd share. 

Women are more likely than men to develop PTSD, but insight into how traumatic stress affects still immature brains is possibly relevant for developing therapies with better outcomes for young people. 

QuoteTraumatic stress affects the brains of adolescent boys and girls differently, according to a new brain-scanning study. Among youth with post-traumatic stress disorder, the study found structural differences between the sexes in the anterior circular sulcus of the insula, a brain region that detects cues from the body and processes emotions and empathy. The insula helps to integrate one's feelings, actions and several other brain functions.

Traumatic stress changes brains of boys, girls differently (ScienceDirect)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on November 12, 2016, 06:59:33 PM
Venus and Mars, Silver.Venus and Mars.

Yeah, I think so too. Some people argue that there are no significant differences between males and females but there seem to be differences in the way men and women process some types as information, such as emotion.

I'm studying fear memory generalisation in adolescent males and females for my end of course project and there are differences between the sexes, possibly tied to difference in estrogen levels and estrogen receptor density in certain areas of the brain. Pathological memory is a component of PTSD.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey