News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Random Questions

Started by Court, August 01, 2006, 07:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

Squid, do you really think that most Christians are militaristic and violent?

I know that there are so-called Christian millitia in the middle east.  I don't agree with them.  He who lives by the sword will die by the sword.  And are there not an equal number of non-believers who are violent in the domestic setting?

I believe that true Christian belief prohibits violence, for any reason(except maybe in defence of family and loved ones).  As I said before, I was a proficient martial artist, which unfortunately I abused, for God knows what reason.  Please don't use Christianity as the scapegoat for all the violence and evil in the world today.  We are not all like that.  Some of us have learned to care for people, you know.

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"Squid, do you really think that most Christians are militaristic and violent?

how did you get that from:

Quote from: "squid"When I worked in a domestic violence program we had an intervention group for batterers. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how many came through there using the bible as justification for their actions.

Asmodean Prime

laetus, I was wondering why you take the time to be an administrator on a forum such as this, or any other, for that matter?

I mean, is there any financial, or other, reward?

i ask genuinely, because I don't know.  I'm not so computer savvy.  Ok, that is not strictly true.  When I did my computer courses at college, it was before the advent of the internet.  I gained the status of 'advanced craft, supervisor and technician'

email was just a one-line, text only thing at that point, and the internet was still the domain of the military.

But what motivates you, if anything, to do this?

Just curious, that's all.

Whitney

No financial gain...it actually costs me money (and time) each month to host and run the site.

This website originally started mainly as just a website (originally www.laetusatheos.com) but I decided to attach a forum to it in case anyone wanted to comment on the content of the site.  The forum ended up getting enough members that I decided it was worth hosting somewhere a little more solid than a free forum host.  Grabbed this domain, then went through a few design changes and eventually got it to what it is now...mainly a forum rather than a website that connects to a forum.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "onlyme"Mommasquid, are you really a German?

I am a third generation American (my grandparents were all born here).

Squid

Quote from: "onlyme"Squid, do you really think that most Christians are militaristic and violent?

I know that there are so-called Christian millitia in the middle east.  I don't agree with them.  He who lives by the sword will die by the sword.  And are there not an equal number of non-believers who are violent in the domestic setting?

That's not what I said.  I stated an observation from the program I worked in that many of the people there (99% men - there were a couple of women while I worked there), not all, used the bible to justify their actions.  That's it.

Quote from: "onlyme"I believe that true Christian belief prohibits violence, for any reason(except maybe in defence of family and loved ones).

...but Angus likes sugar with his porridge...

Quote from: "onlyme"As I said before, I was a proficient martial artist, which unfortunately I abused, for God knows what reason.  Please don't use Christianity as the scapegoat for all the violence and evil in the world today.  We are not all like that.  Some of us have learned to care for people, you know.

I didn't use it as a scapegoat for all the violence and evil in the world - please don't put words in my mouth.

Asmodean Prime

ok, sorry squid, i won't put words in your mouth

But how come you specify that so many use the bible to justify their actions?  You could equally read the news reports of mass murderers, for example, who say that 'satan' made me do it.

As regards your other post, saying uh, what did I do?  wait a minute, I'll get back to you.  It's only a joke, by the way.

Asmodean Prime

squid, yeah, I remember now, it was something to do with that little penguin thingy you have in your signature, and I asked how you can display my browser type and ISP.  You said it was part of the evil atheist conspiracy.

Just a joke, bro.

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"But how come you specify that so many use the bible to justify their actions?  You could equally read the news reports of mass murderers, for example, who say that 'satan' made me do it.

If you paid attention to context then you'd know why he mentioned the bible specifically.

Big Mac

Quote from: "laetusatheos"No financial gain...it actually costs me money (and time) each month to host and run the site.

Is there anything we can do to help alleviate the costs? Clicking on the links help any?
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Jassman

I would be willing to donate through paypal or something. I couldn't donate much, but if even a small amount would help... count me in.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Jassman

Quote from: "onlyme"Jassman:  since you asked, I will answer, and I will answer honestly.  I think that we will all have to give an account to God eventually, even for 'every idle word' we speak.   Now, also, as I've said before, I admit that, for my part, it is easier to control the tongue than it is to control other aspects of my life.  Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better - that I've at least done something - while being guilty of more serious things.  

At least, as far as the things I CAN control, I will at least make an effort.  Also, as I said in an earlier post, from my experience, those who swear either do it to look 'hard', or to 'fit in with the crowd', which is not a sign of strength in my view, but weakness, if you have to 'conform' to those around you.

Does that go some way to clarifying my position?

onlyme, if you go back and read the specific questions I asked, you will realize that you never really answered any of them... If you have the time, I'd appreciate if you'd answer the questions more specifically rather than just giving a general answer. If not, I can gather at least a little bit of what your perspective involves from the above.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Whitney

big mac, jassman, thank you for wanting to help out.  Clicking on ads on the header or, if you happen to be ordering through Amazon anyway, using the amazon banner on the home page attaches my associate ID to the order for a referral percentage...doing things like that should be enough to help cover hosting.

Squid

Quote from: "onlyme"ok, sorry squid, i won't put words in your mouth

But how come you specify that so many use the bible to justify their actions?  You could equally read the news reports of mass murderers, for example, who say that 'satan' made me do it.

As regards your other post, saying uh, what did I do?  wait a minute, I'll get back to you.  It's only a joke, by the way.

That's not what I was talking about.  These guys used the bible as justification to beat their wives.  My statement never went past that.  I never said people use the bible to commit mass genocide and so forth.

I stated an observation from my own experience.  That observation was (I'll post it very specifically for you):

1) The organization I worked for had intervention groups for men who beat their wives or girlfriends.

2) Out of the entire group, there were many who utilized the bible as justification for beating their wives.

3) My statement was in response to a commment Court posted which stated:

Quote from: "Court"The Bible: a transcendent guide to marriage and parenting. Want to fuck up your kids and beat your wife? Find justification here!

That's it.  I made no claims, insinuations, allusions, hints or otherwise past what I exactly stated.  You are seeing something in my post that isn't there.

Asmodean Prime

laetus, maybe you can answer this:

the logo that is displayed top-left of the home page, which looks like something along the lines of the hell's angels' winged logo, is it the eye of horus?  Or something completely different?