News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Happy Friday the 13th

Started by crocofish, June 13, 2008, 07:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crocofish

Saw a great quote today.  When a lady was asked by a newspaper whether she was worried about something bad happening on Friday the 13th, she answered...

"Oh no, I have God watching over me, I don't have to worry. I don't believe in superstitions."
  :hmm:
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

myleviathan

Ha! Good catch. That should go in the favorite fundy quote thread. It's so funny that people don't understand that there's no difference between faith and superstition.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

susangail

Ha ha! That's great.

I love today. It's funny to see how freaked out people get.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Tom62

Today is a great day! I managed to solve some serious bugs in a computer-program at work, won two games of chess on the internet and the Dutch soccer-team is now leading with 1-0 against France in the European Championship.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

joeactor

... particularly ironic since the superstition may be rooted in Christianity (13 at the last supper, Friday crucified)

Today's great for me as well.  Booked some new work for the upcoming weeks!

Hope everyone's doing great out there,
JoeActor

Will

Today was my lucky day. I scored digits and I'll be having dinner at a very, very nice restaurant in San Francisco this weekend with a very interesting brunette paralegal. I won't be thanking god, but rather a college education, consistent diet and exercise, and experience with members of the opposite sex. Sorry, god.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

MommaSquid

Today was not Tim Russert's lucky day...  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25145431/?GT1=43001

My day is humming along just fine.  Let's hope it stays that way. ;)

crocofish

Quote from: "MommaSquid"Today was not Tim Russert's lucky day.
Heard that bad news a couple hours ago.  Very unexpected and very sad.  I got a little choked up. I watched him almost every Sunday on Meet the Press.  He looked like he really enjoyed his work.  He was recording the voiceovers for his show this coming Sunday when he had the heart attack.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

myleviathan

It's Friday the 13th and I do NOT have tuberculosis. Hooray!
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "myleviathan"It's Friday the 13th and I do NOT have tuberculosis. Hooray!

Always a good sign. That gets me thinking... do you guys know any Atheists that believe in superstition (besides their gods.)? I can't say that I do...

Keep it mellow guys.

nikkixsugar
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Lexxvs

Quote from: "nikkixsugar"
Quote from: "myleviathan"It's Friday the 13th and I do NOT have tuberculosis. Hooray!

Always a good sign. That gets me thinking... do you guys know any Atheists that believe in superstition (besides their gods.)? I can't say that I do...

Keep it mellow guys.

nikkixsugar

Yes, I found a couple of guys in a (Spanish speaking) forum trying hard to make a case in favor of paranormal issues like telekinesis and so on. (So on means anything superstition with more elegant names and bogus scientific disguises).
They were as furious as conservative Christians and as easy to boil with rage as them too. I don’t know if I can call such people atheist, but atheist places are certainly a candy they are tempted to reach and spill their “alternative” ideas.
By the way, in my country â€"Argentina- the day for the 13 superstition was changed from Friday â€"dedicated to the (not) virgin Mary- to Tuesday (so Tuesday 13 is the feared day here). Not many seems to know that. Tuesday was chosen apparently cause in all romance languages the day keeps its relation with the ancient roman god of war, Mars. (Martes in Spanish).

McQ

My flights from Prague to Frankfort to Philadelphia didn't crash. However, the champagne did spill a bit when my wife knocked it over trying to adjust her viewing monitor during one of the on-demand movies she was watching. Real bummer, that.  :D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

tacoma_kyle

Ah damn, I didnt realize it was. I went out with my neighbor and drink a few pitchers over pool.

Then got a cab home.

It was sweet.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Steve Reason

Quote from: "nikkixsugar"

Keep it mellow guys.

nikkixsugar

Well I wouldn't say I believe in any, but I do have my idiosyncrasies.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/