News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Should France go to war?

Started by Crow, November 14, 2015, 03:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

With the recent events that happened in Paris the obvious gut reaction is war but is this the wisest decision. For me I think it is the worst thing they could do, in the conventional sense of war any way.

The strikes the French Government had been doing are successful and ISIS can't do anything about it and what we saw yesterday was their retaliation. From this alone we know France already has the upper hand and really all they need to do is increase what they have been doing whilst focusing on local targets to prevent attacks like last night. What's more ISIS have been pining for ground troops as they see it as the beginning of the end of days which they are wanting to bring on as fast as they possibly can, by going to war and bring troops into the various regions they are located France would be giving them exactly what they want.
Retired member.

No one

Viruses like isis should be eradicated by any means necessary! Teach these agents of terror, what terror truly is!
For every one they kill, slaughter thousands of them! Show absolutely no mercy!

OldGit

There are an estimated five to six million moslems living in France , most of them in a few major cities.  These have repeatedly shown their ability to do enormous damage.  In taking on Islam, France would have to fight a huge civil war internally.  It would probably be unwise not to assume that there are already large groups prepared for this.

Crow

Quote from: No one on November 14, 2015, 06:01:59 PM
Viruses like isis should be eradicated by any means necessary! Teach these agents of terror, what terror truly is!

If France (any country for that matter) are to stay within the guides of the United Nations they can't do that. The other option is long and drawn out war that ends up effecting more civilians than those they are trying to fight which in turn creates more opponents to fight. ISIS themselves were spawned due to this sort of situation. Even though ISIS have a clear hierarchy that can be targeted they still use guerilla tactics to prevent the sophisticated armies being able to easily take them out, knowing full well that nations also have their hands tied behind their back when fighting due to war laws.

Quote from: OldGit on November 14, 2015, 06:16:15 PM
There are an estimated five to six million moslems living in France , most of them in a few major cities.  These have repeatedly shown their ability to do enormous damage.  In taking on Islam, France would have to fight a huge civil war internally.  It would probably be unwise not to assume that there are already large groups prepared for this.

Good point especially when they have places like La Courneuve that have recently been religiously violent. Then you had the attacks last December that were independent but religiously motivated.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

War was already declared when France decided launch airstrikes against ISIS in Syria. 

I don't know what to think, as of yet. I'm leaning towards thinking that all out war against ISIS is not ideal, and it seems to me that people who are too quick advocate for it have nothing to loose personally. I don't myself, it's just an opinion. 

Some sort of action is required, passivity is not the answer, but I tend to think that backstage actions would be more effective in the long run, lead to less loss of life and are more economically viable.

And of course, absolutely no religious connotations should be given to WWIII, and I don't just think that because I'm an atheist. That just feeds into their propaganda and will actually only help them recruit more jihadis.  Some Christians here have already flared up with calls for a new crusade against the Islamic world. People are afraid. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Lily-livered, yellow bellied, gutless cowards such as isis prey on the decency of good men. It is high time to fight fire with massive amounts of "DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN" ordnance! Hit those worthless peices of **** so hard, that their grandchildren's grandchildren think twice about any kind of retaliation.

viocjit

I'd like to say to anybody who write ISIS own outdated data because ISIS is now IS for Islamic State or الدولة الإسلامية in Arabic transcripted as ad-dawla al-islāmiyya accorded to DIN 31635 standard.

Sources :
1.The Independent (An article in this mainstream British newspaper about the name of this organisation)  : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-vs-islamic-state-vs-isil-vs-daesh-what-do-the-different-names-mean-9750629.html
2.Wikipedia (The well-known online encyclopaedia) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant#As_Islamic_State.2C_2014.E2.80.93present

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: viocjit on November 15, 2015, 01:22:19 AM
I'd like to say to anybody who write ISIS own outdated data because ISIS is now IS for Islamic State or الدولة الإسلامية in Arabic transcripted as ad-dawla al-islāmiyya accorded to DIN 31635 standard.

Sources :
1.The Independent (An article in this mainstream British newspaper about the name of this organisation)  : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-vs-islamic-state-vs-isil-vs-daesh-what-do-the-different-names-mean-9750629.html
2.Wikipedia (The well-known online encyclopaedia) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant#As_Islamic_State.2C_2014.E2.80.93present

I think I'll call them 'Daesh' from now on.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on November 15, 2015, 01:20:48 AM
Lily-livered, yellow bellied, gutless cowards such as isis prey on the decency of good men. It is high time to fight fire with massive amounts of "DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN" ordnance! Hit those worthless peices of **** so hard, that their grandchildren's grandchildren think twice about any kind of retaliation.

Sometimes I catch myself wishing there was a vengeful god who would deal with these vermin after they blow themselves up. ::)

Claireliontamer

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 14, 2015, 11:34:50 PM
War was already declared when France decided launch airstrikes against ISIS in Syria. 

Yes this.  France are already at war. 

Tank

Quote from: No one on November 14, 2015, 06:01:59 PM
This response reminds me of a brilliant episode of Babelon 5. The docking crews were going to go on strike for better conditions. The 'company rep' wanted the union crushed. To do this he wanted the commander to invoke 'special powers' allowing the striking workers to be imprisoned and evicted. But in actuality the 'special powers' gave the commander total discretion in his actions to solve the problem. In the past commanders had always taken the punitive route. So the commander asked what funds would be made available to him. The 'company man' said 'write your own check'. So the commander did just that and gave the docking crews their raise; thus solving the problem.

You wrote "Viruses like isis should be eradicated by any means necessary!" But then go on to advocate the course of action ISIS want and that will just breed more of their kind.

Can you imagine how different the Middle East would be if every penny/cent spent on arms and warfare had been spent on aid and education? Go on think about it. We'll never fight our way out of this shit because fighting begats fighting. If we want to destroy ISIS for good we have to kill its ideological roots and we won't do that by killing those who want death.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Another thought: this is probably the way many Muslims think about Westerners when one of their own gets killed, in many cases as collateral damage.   

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 15, 2015, 12:59:10 PM

Another thought: this is probably the way many Muslims think about Westerners when one of their own gets killed, in many cases as collateral damage.

Quite so. Once the blood starts flowing then there is little incentive on either side to stop it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.