News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Should France go to war?

Started by Crow, November 14, 2015, 03:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brave Patato

I think the ISIS' deeds go deeper than revenge. It's about undermining democratic principles and human rights. If we want to win this battle, we have to stand together and don't let fear tear us apart.
But, of course, I know that solidarity alone won't defeat them. So, while I'm usually not pro-war, but in the case of terrorists there's no diplomatic alternative. We'll have to fight. Not just France, but every country. The next point is that drones are not precise enough to kill the targets radically. Increasing numbers of civilists are killed in these attacks, what spreads mistrust among local people. I assume, at some point they'd rather cooperate with the ISIS than being killed without being guilty of anything.
We should send troops to these regions. Even if this wouldn't prevent all civic victims, it'd miniimize them and destroy their bases radically.
"An atheist doesn't have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that there can't be a god. He only has to be someone who believes that the evidence on the God question is at a similar level to the evidence on the werewolf question."

Guardian85

I disagree with the notion that regular troops should be sent into the region. That was tried in the past and did not work. Likewise bombing campaigns may not work as intended either as the collateral damage will just make more people in the region anti-western.

I think the best approach here would be targeted actions with special forces raids on the leadership of IS. Take out or capture as many military, political and clerical leadership figures as possible in the shortest amount of time possible. When they have all been replaced, do it again. After enough leaders are taken down or taken in no one is going to want to be boss anymore.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on November 14, 2015, 06:01:59 PM
Viruses like isis should be eradicated by any means necessary! Teach these agents of terror, what terror truly is!
For every one they kill, slaughter thousands of them! Show absolutely no mercy
-1 for me.
-1000 for you.
-1 for me.
-1000 for you.
:headscratch:

Quote from: No one on November 15, 2015, 01:20:48 AM
Lily-livered, yellow bellied, gutless cowards such as isis prey on the decency of good men. It is high time to fight fire with massive amounts of "DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN" ordnance! Hit those worthless peices of **** so hard, that their grandchildren's grandchildren think twice about any kind of retaliation.
I can feel your anger, No one, but I don't know if the "Ripley approach" is the best one:
QuoteI say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
— Ripley, Aliens

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

These are good ideas:
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 14, 2015, 11:34:50 PM
Some sort of action is required, passivity is not the answer, but I tend to think that backstage actions would be more effective in the long run, lead to less loss of life and are more economically viable.
Quote from: Tank on November 15, 2015, 10:32:15 AM
If we want to destroy ISIS for good we have to kill its ideological roots and we won't do that by killing those who want death.
Quote from: Brave Patato on November 15, 2015, 08:54:42 PM
We should send troops to these regions. Even if this wouldn't prevent all civic victims, it'd miniimize them and destroy their bases radically.

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 15, 2015, 11:26:06 PM
I think the best approach here would be targeted actions with special forces raids on the leadership of IS.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

We could do a Ripley and tell them if they don't stop it, we'll nuke Mecca.  Begin by nuking a few lesser holy places to show we mean business.

Crow

Quote from: OldGit on November 16, 2015, 09:32:41 AM
We could do a Ripley and tell them if they don't stop it, we'll nuke Mecca.  Begin by nuking a few lesser holy places to show we mean business.

Hahaha you would start WW3 with that one. Are you getting a bit nostalgic for the old days?
Retired member.

OldGit

No one

It appears that I am in the minority here, but that is ok. Let me be clear, I am not here to tell anyone they are wrong, or belittle their opinion. However, to me, this is the mindset they prey on. That we are not strong enough, we are cowards and do not have the resolve to weather their storm. These gutless turds only understand one language, violence. They must be taught, that not only are we fluent in the language, but we have a much, much deeper understanding of it then they ever will. If  they want to step on the field with the big boys, they have no right to cry about how hard they get hit.

Do I wish that petty, insignificant nonsense such as color of skin, sexual orientation, patch of earth you call home, or imaginary friends wasn't a reason to kill your fellow man? Of course I do. But sadly, the human being is a deplorable, disgusting species. I agree that there are times when talking like civilized creatures can bring solutions. There are also times when out thinking those that wish to do you harm is the answer. In my opinion, this is not one of those times. isis does not want to show anyone who does not agree with their twisted little view any mercy, I for one, do not want to waste any on them!

Just so you know, I consider the kkk, neo-nazis, the bloods and crypts and any other group of mindless hate filled barbarians to be viruses too. Just like isis. They all need to be obliterated!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on November 16, 2015, 07:41:06 PM
It appears that I am in the minority here, but that is ok. Let me be clear, I am not here to tell anyone they are wrong, or belittle their opinion. However, to me, this is the mindset they prey on. That we are not strong enough, we are cowards and do not have the resolve to weather their storm. These gutless turds only understand one language, violence. They must be taught, that not only are we fluent in the language, but we have a much, much deeper understanding of it then they ever will. If  they want to step on the field with the big boys, they have no right to cry about how hard they get hit.

I get that you're angry - who isn't? - but allowing anger to dictate what one does can cloud one's judgement. As an exercise, if it were up to you, what tactical steps would you take towards dealing with this situation?

QuoteDo I wish that petty, insignificant nonsense such as color of skin, sexual orientation, patch of earth you call home, or imaginary friends wasn't a reason to kill your fellow man? Of course I do. But sadly, the human being is a deplorable, disgusting species. I agree that there are times when talking like civilized creatures can bring solutions. There are also times when out thinking those that wish to do you harm is the answer. In my opinion, this is not one of those times. isis does not want to show anyone who does not agree with their twisted little view any mercy, I for one, do not want to waste any on them!

I don't think they deserve mercy either. They've been digging their own graves for quite a while. I don't think that passivity is the answer, but overblown violence isn't either. It has to be surgical, precise and lethal without too much bloodletting. Preferably as silent as possible.

They should be economically crippled, which might involve war with sovereign countries funding them, if there are any. This has the potential to turn into a dangerous chain-reaction.

As Tank mentioned earlier, violence begets violence. Why do you think they are fighting in the first place? I'm not defending Daesh, I'm just worried about the outcomes some routes have as consequences. The fanatics are bombed to the ground, then what? Give them the martyr's death they so desperately want? How does that play into their ideological war and propaganda with which they recruit countless people?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

But I have to admit that I love OldGit's idea of nuking Mecca.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

xSPs link to; what ISIS really wants, is scary as hell.  It is a lengthy article, that if true, is the wake up call that we are failing to acknowledge.  The overview of the article would suggest that our only hope for survival is to commit genocide against the fundamental Islamists. That is a grim prospect, an unthinkable one for the western world. 

Our Pentecostal are waiting for the "rapture" in relative peace. The hard case ISIS line of reasoning is that they must kill or conquer or enslave all the apostates before the Islamists have their end times.  Mind boggling stuff.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on November 17, 2015, 12:44:51 AM
xSPs link to; what ISIS really wants, is scary as hell. 

They're scary, but not as scary as they want to make themselves out to be, I think. They're not unlike a small animal puffing itself up to make itself look bigger than they really are. Terrorism can amplify feelings of fear to achieve this by making people believe that there's one of them around every corner, that could attack at any moment. They might take responsibility for every attack that happens, even if carried out by insane lone attackers who will be seduced by their propaganda. They're a dangerous entity making use of dangerous ideology, I but I don't think they're that competent to reach their goal, especially since they depend so much on reactions to their acts of violence.

I don't know. I think that if they were strong, they probably wouldn't be using terrorism as a tactic.

Quote from: Claireliontamer on November 17, 2015, 08:33:10 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/16/isis-bombs-hostage-syria-islamic-state-paris-attacks?CMP=share_btn_tw  is an interesting read.

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on November 16, 2015, 09:32:41 AM

In an ideal world there wouldn't even be a Mecca to nuke.

Lark

Wars fought a long way from base do not seem all that successful.  The world surely does not want WW3 but something needs doing.  I suppose that is what we are discussing.