News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Xmas

Started by Lark, October 22, 2015, 05:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lark

Prbably not a new subject but I did not know where to put this. We are still 2 months away from Xmas  yet I have already found many people stressed out about it.  Some are worried about money, some about where to be on the various festive days especially 25th and others that there will be disappointments and expectations not met.  Daresay there are other bothers too.  This is the only Holiday which seems to have so many problems.  It is impossible to please everybody.  Has anyone any ideas to make this period an easier truly happy time ?

Tank

Christmas is fine for me. I leave it all to my wife. She loves it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Schedule a day for yourself (Saturday, Sunday) or with someone of completely like mind to just go out, look at the lights and decorations, listen to Christmas music, eat Christmas goodies, and just walk or drive around, and get in the spirit of the season.  No shopping, no stress, no commitments - just take it in.  I recommend doing this at least 2 weeks before the 25th, so you are in the mood when the day comes.

Crow

Let go of expectations and enjoy it for what it is, just another day in the week. You can choose to engage or not engage in the customs you wish.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Buy the presents with plenty of time to spare. Don't leave things for Xmas eve, 'cause that really stresses most people out!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

I concentrate on the parts of it that I enjoy, and can do, and just don't bother with the rest.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pasta Chick

I don't get stressing about this sort of thing. If your family is so awful you're having serious anxiety over seeing them, perhaps you're better off without them. Not that visiting in laws or whatever needs to be your preferred way to spend the day, but it shouldn't ruin the entire season for you.

Similarly, if shopping and gift giving stresses you that much, tell your family and friends you no longer wish to participate in gift giving. If they have a problem with that, see the previous paragraph.

If people around you insist on being overwhelmingly negative, be positive and don't get involved. I find if you sympathize but disagree and disengage you lose a lot of the relatability that these people are looking for. Basically cut attempted bitch-fests off with something like "I'm sorry, that sounds rough. My family's tradition differs blah blah what are your plans for lunch today?"

OldGit

Quote from: LarkHas anyone any ideas to make this period an easier truly happy time ?

Emigrate to somewhere that doesn't have Christmas.  China might do, perhaps.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on October 23, 2015, 11:51:59 AM
Quote from: LarkHas anyone any ideas to make this period an easier truly happy time ?

Nope. There are 67 million Christians in China now.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

Never celebrated it and  never will (raised secular Jewish, married to secular turk). My family has plenty of other issues, but luckily that's not one I need to deal with
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

North pole. It is located in the Artic ocean but there are no Santa's, toy-making elves, flying red-nosed reindeer or even people there so she should be safe, though a little cold. 

Ecurb Noselrub

Separate and apart from my theism, a world without Christmas would be a bleak place.  If I were to renounce my faith (not likely at this stage in my life), I would retain the good things from it, and Christmas would be in the "Top 10" of those.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 24, 2015, 01:48:49 AM
Separate and apart from my theism, a world without Christmas would be a bleak place.  If I were to renounce my faith (not likely at this stage in my life), I would retain the good things from it, and Christmas would be in the "Top 10" of those.

I agree with the sentiment that Christmas is generally a fun holiday, even with the added stresses of having to buy gifts for everyone and having to occasionally contort your face into something that resembles a happy expression when you receive a gift you don't like.

What aspects of Christmas would you retain exactly if you were no longer a believer? Its pagan roots? The more modern tradition of gift-giving? Would you make it a holiday more focused on family and friends instead of the Bible and Jesus? 

Insoluble

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 23, 2015, 05:59:47 PM

North pole. It is located in the Artic ocean but there are no Santa's, toy-making elves, flying red-nosed reindeer or even people there so she should be safe, though a little cold.

That's crap advice, the North Pole has Russians all over it,
arresting Greenpeacians and trying to justify there claims.

If you want to avoid Christmas time travel is the answer.
The international date skirts about between warm isles.
Kiribati, Samoa, Tonga or Tokelau, surely one will suit.
Find a canoe, paddle across the bay and avoid the day.
I'm happy, hope you're happy too

Lark

Thanks,  enjoying your comments.