News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Religulous- the movie

Started by Smarmy Of One, June 07, 2008, 11:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smarmy Of One

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/religulous/

I'm not a huge Maher fan, but this looks entertaining.

The interesting thing is that the film is receiving a very mainstream release. Distro'ed by Lionsgate and the trailer is playing on the Apple website.

Atheism at a Cineplex near you . . .

pjkeeley

Hate to be a smart alec but Bill Maher is actually a deist, so techincally atheism isn't coming to a Cineplex near me. But critical thinking is, and that's a fine start!

Also, again, hate to be the smart alec, but there is already a thread about this.  :P

Smarmy Of One

I don't really know anything about Maher. Also didn't know there was a thread on this.

Oh well.

Steve Reason

Quote from: "pjkeeley"Hate to be a smart alec but Bill Maher is actually a deist, so techincally atheism isn't coming to a Cineplex near me. But critical thinking is, and that's a fine start!

Also, again, hate to be the smart alec, but there is already a thread about this.  :P

Really? I would've bet money that he was atheist.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "Steve Reason"
Quote from: "pjkeeley"Hate to be a smart alec but Bill Maher is actually a deist, so techincally atheism isn't coming to a Cineplex near me. But critical thinking is, and that's a fine start!

Really? I would've bet money that he was atheist.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure he's an atheist. He bashes religion regularly. (which is why I love him.)
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

pjkeeley

Nope he's a deist. Nothing wrong with that though, deists have just as much reason to hate religion as us. He's mentioned his deism on a few occassions and if I had time I'd find you a link to where he's said it before, but I'm supposed to be studying for exams right now... eep.  :confused:

Will

Bill Mahar absolutely is an atheist. If you don't believe me, ask him. He calls himself a rationalist, which also happens to be my flavor of atheism.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

pjkeeley

I don't live in America so I don't get to see much Bill Maher, I have only what I've read and seen on youtube to go by. I checked the wiki article and apparently he most recently referred to himself as an apatheist. Before that it was agnostic and before that he said he believed in a god. So I guess he has been slowly morphing into an atheist.
 :banna:

Will

You know who else is an atheist?
The dancing banana!  :banna:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LARA

But.... but.... bannanas are perfectly created to fit in our hands by the one true Sky-Daddy!   :D

I'm pretty sure I've heard Maher describe himself as an atheist on his show when I used ot watch it.  He is gloriously unkind to religion at any rate.

Anyone else notice Maher's Bozo hairstyle on the toast on the Religulous website?
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Will

Quote from: "LARA"But.... but.... bannanas are perfectly created to fit in our hands by the one true Sky-Daddy!   :D
LARA wins the thread.

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "pjkeeley"Nope he's a deist. Nothing wrong with that though, deists have just as much reason to hate religion as us. He's mentioned his deism on a few occassions and if I had time I'd find you a link to where he's said it before, but I'm supposed to be studying for exams right now... eep.  :confused:

You know Voltaire was a Deist! He's my favorite.
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Will

AWESOME. Seriously, go see it. It's all my best arguments made to religious people and then a brilliant monologue at the end.

And it's really, really funny.

10/10  :pop:

McQ

I'm looking forward to this flick. Not a big Maher fan at all, but this looks good. I went to the movies today and was torn between this and "Burn After Reading". Tossed a mental coin and BAR won, so I'll have to see Maher next time.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "McQ"I'm looking forward to this flick. Not a big Maher fan at all, but this looks good. I went to the movies today and was torn between this and "Burn After Reading". Tossed a mental coin and BAR won, so I'll have to see Maher next time.

How was BAR? The lady and I want to see it, but I've heard it's pretty hit-or-miss. Wanna chuck in your review? :)
-Curio