News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What would make me believe in God?

Started by Tank, October 28, 2012, 10:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

I already believe in a god, and he's from Gallifrey.

-Curio

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: curiosityandthecat on October 28, 2012, 02:44:29 PM
I already believe in a god, and he's from Gallifrey.

Okay, this I can get behind.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Lekatt

What if science finds the God particle
They think it is possible soon.
"There are no guarantees.
From the viewpoint of fear, none are strong enough.
From the viewpoint of love, none are necessary."
                                                            Emmanuel

Recusant

Quote from: Lekatt on January 03, 2016, 10:38:26 PM

You're a bit behind the times there, Lekatt. What do you mean when you refer to "the God particle"? I'm tempted to speculate, but I'd like you to say it in your own words.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Also, the guy who identified the Higgs-Boson hates the nickname "god particle", thinks it's terribly inaccurate and misleading.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

You can call your dog God. Or your desk lamp. I would assume they exist, but would not be inclined to worship or pray to them. The CERN team can find a boson for each of the Hindu gods for all I care - fascinating as it would be, it would not turn me to Hinduism. A God-table-lamp or a God-boson is in no way a higher-dimensional alpha male, so an atheist I remain.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

As mentioned, the Higgs boson has already been detected, and if that's what you're referring to then no more 'what ifs' there. I'm still curious to know what you're getting at, though. Do you think the existence of the HB means that god is real?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Yeah, that might be hard on Christian evangelicals who already know all about God. What if the supreme being turned out to be Mithra or Poseidon, Allah, or perish the thought, FSM?   That would mess up the heads of the folks who already have their minds made up.

Magdalena

Lekatt, is that you?  :computerwave:

Are you trying to find a connection between NDE (near-death experiences,) unconditional love and the God particle, now?  :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Insoluble

Quote from: Icarus on January 04, 2016, 03:17:29 AM
Yeah, that might be hard on Christian evangelicals who already know all about God. What if the supreme being turned out to be Mithra or Poseidon, Allah, or perish the thought, FSM?   That would mess up the heads of the folks who already have their minds made up.

I think it might be Poseidon.
Some devotee often carves giant Jesus is a jolly good fellow messages, (or he's a bad ass and you better do what he says stuff) at a local beach.  (Yes I do drag my feet a bit more than necesary as I walk across it.)
Anyway, every time Poseidon erases this blasphemy.
I'm happy, hope you're happy too

Asmodean

Zeus. Of all the gods, he has the best hit to miss with ranged energy weapons. He's bad-ass enough not to bother with all that WMD nonsense.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Insoluble

Quote from: Asmodean on January 04, 2016, 11:14:49 AM
Zeus. Of all the gods, he has the best hit to miss with ranged energy weapons. He's bad-ass enough not to bother with all that WMD nonsense.

How do you know that?
You've only his word for it.
He wacks a tree:
Yeh tree was acting hubristically!!!!
Seems unlikely to me.
I think he's some kinda random ejaculator.

Asmodean

Trees, they are a sinful bunch. Always standing around all green and nasty and cause global warming by being turned into paper or fuel and do let us not forget that birds and such live in trees. Well, birds shit on people.  >:(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Insoluble

Is this an envy resentment thing?
Some do envy bird's ability to fly.
Do you envy the shitting on heads?
You're not siding with the shat upon?
If you do I recommend a broad brim.

Asmodean