News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Ask an ex Jehovah's Witness a question...

Started by zeroday, August 07, 2012, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeroday

Yep that's me 28 years to be exact. I know these people. How they think, live, work how they tick. If you have ever wondered who these people are that come knocking on your door here's the place to ask...

Crow

What appealed to you about the JW all those years ago?
Retired member.

Ali

technolud

Do they really believe they are working for the greater good?  I don't mean this cynically.

zeroday

Quote from: Crow on August 07, 2012, 08:22:50 PM
What appealed to you about the JW all those years ago?

Cults usually attract those in a low period in their lives I was at that point in the mid 70's. I had an uncle and his family that became JW's and that is how I first came into contact with them. They held out a wonderful prospect of living forever on paradise earth never growing old and dying no sickness or pain the classic " fountain of youth" man has been searching for the beginning of time.

You believe and after so many years it becomes your whole life it consumes your whole life to the point where it becomes your identity. It was only after many years that I began to see the cracks in their theology...

zeroday

Quote from: Ali on August 07, 2012, 08:58:28 PM
Why can't they have blood transfusions? 

JW's use the scripture at Deuteronomy 12:23 But be sure you do not eat the blood, because the blood is the life, and you must not eat the life with the meat.

Leviticus 17:10 "'Any Israelite or any alien living among them who eats any blood--I will set my face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from his people.

Acts 15:20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.

And other scriptures to support their blood stand...

zeroday

Quote from: technolud on August 07, 2012, 09:00:08 PM
Do they really believe they are working for the greater good?  I don't mean this cynically.

Oh yes they believe with all their heart and soul their faith is the one and only true Christian faith on earth today...

Ali

This is so interesting!  Thanks for answering our questions!

So do they have any other limits on the kinds of medical treatment they can have, or is it just blood transfusions?

Also, does everyone have to go out and try to get new members (like Mormons, my understanding is that all Mormons have to do some kind of missionary work at some point...) or do people just do it when/if they want to?

Theta Sigma

Is the magic underwear comfy?  Seriously... what's with the underwear?
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,
every star that ever was,
     where do you want to start?

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Theta Sigma on August 07, 2012, 09:35:20 PM
There's an underwear thing only JW can wear??
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

zeroday

Their views on blood and medical treatment had evolved and devolved over the years. At first no blood in any firm was allowed then it began to change to allow blood fractions they also forbid organ transplants at one time claiming it was Cannibalism then changed to allow it...

They are all required to engage in the preaching work they call field service knocking on doors to spread their message. If one is not preaching they are viewed as spiritually weak and can be singled out as not ideal association...they have a two tier authority system on the congregation level. Elders and ministerial servants. They must show regular preaching work to maintain their positions in the congregation. Every one must turn in a time sheet that shows exactly how many hours they spent preaching every month...

zeroday

Quote from: Theta Sigma on August 07, 2012, 09:35:20 PM
That's Mormons not JW's...

Theta Sigma

My bad.  The underwear thing is the Mormons.  Got my cults mixed up.
All of time and space,
     everywhere and anywhere,
every star that ever was,
     where do you want to start?

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Theta Sigma on August 07, 2012, 09:42:35 PM
My bad.  The underwear thing is the Mormons.  Got my cults mixed up.

But now i'm interested ;_;
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.