News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Ask an ex Jehovah's Witness a question...

Started by zeroday, August 07, 2012, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: En_Route on August 07, 2012, 10:57:52 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 07, 2012, 10:47:29 PM
What do JW's say about the failed prophecies of Jesus' return: 1914, 1925, 1975, etc.

Bureaucratic inflexibility at Immigration Control.

:D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

I'm glad JW's don't come to my door in the morning. They would NOT like me.  ;)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

Retired member.

zeroday

Quote from: Crow on August 07, 2012, 11:58:22 PM
Do you have any hang ups since you left?

Socially awkward at times being a truck driver on the road doesn't help but definitely affected me socially...

Sweetdeath

Quote from: zeroday on August 08, 2012, 12:10:40 AM

Socially awkward at times being a truck driver on the road doesn't help but definitely affected me socially...
That's a tough job. But I'm sure there are others like you who left organised religions and led very happy lives. Ok, maybe not me cuz i'm angry all the time. j.k j/k

Actually, i think HAF is a great place, because we have so many people from different walks of life!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: zeroday on August 08, 2012, 12:10:40 AM

A good friend of mine drove a truck for many years. A tough old game.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

En_Route

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 07, 2012, 11:45:57 PM
I'm glad JW's don't come to my door in the morning. They would NOT like me.  ;)

I think they should send all their trainees round to you to see if they are made of the right stuff. If they've stopped shaking after a couple of hours, they pass.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Ecurb Noselrub

Why are JW's, like Mormons, so secretive?  Most churches just let anyone come in and then leave when they want.  Mormons don't let you into their temples, and I've always been afraid to visit a JW hall because I'm afraid I'll be harassed.  I've visited just about every kind of church there is, just for the education of seeing what they do. 

zeroday

You could just walk into a JW congregation and attend the meetings however they will love bomb you trying to get you to study with them...besides being bored to tears you will find a building filled with mindless robots...

Firebird

Appreciate you taking the time to answer all these questions.
Did you ever manage to convert anyone while you were knocking on doors?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: zeroday on August 08, 2012, 03:29:02 AM
You could just walk into a JW congregation and attend the meetings however they will love bomb you trying to get you to study with them...besides being bored to tears you will find a building filled with mindless robots...

Glad I asked. Thanks.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: zeroday on August 07, 2012, 10:22:40 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2012, 09:53:14 PM
How are apostates treated?

This may answer your question...

Jehovah's Witnesses claim apostates mentally diseased

An article published in July's edition of The Watchtower warns followers to stay clear of "false teachers" who are condemned as being "mentally diseased" apostates who should be avoided at all costs. "Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease," the article reads. "You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are 'mentally diseased', and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings."

Wow, more or less what I expected. Such weakness on their part.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

I know JWs don't celebrate birthdays and holidays, but what about special occasions like weddings?  When JWs get married, do they have a big party, or are they not allowed?

zeroday

Quote from: Firebird on August 08, 2012, 03:40:03 AM
Appreciate you taking the time to answer all these questions.
Did you ever manage to convert anyone while you were knocking on doors?

Not one person...the majority of new baptized JW's are the children of JW's...in 2011 the JW's spent 1.7 Billion hours in the door to door preaching work world wide for a total of 263,000 new baptized...it is almost completely ineffective. You may ask why do they continue to preach door to door if it produces little results. They will tell you it is their commission to give a witness before the end but other methods would be far more effective. Mass media, tv, radio etc but the reason is control. This is a major tool for control over the JW's. The leadership know they must maintain strict control over their lives to keep them inline and maintain their numbers. By controlling their lives like preaching and many other ways they guarantee adherence...

zeroday

Quote from: Ali on August 08, 2012, 04:43:09 AM
I know JWs don't celebrate birthdays and holidays, but what about special occasions like weddings?  When JWs get married, do they have a big party, or are they not allowed?

Weddings are one of the few celebrations JW's will partake in however there are strict guide lines as to how they may be celebrated. Limited alcohol, no worldly music or worldly dancing. Elders will attend to make sure everyone is monitored and it doesn't degrade to a worldly affair...