News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Ask an ex Jehovah's Witness a question...

Started by zeroday, August 07, 2012, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Normally I'm very kind to the JW's that come a-knockin'.  But I've not found a sure-fire way of getting them to stop coming week by week.  ( They don't come EVERY week, but when they do come, it seems they stick with the route for a month or two )

My other Adventist friends tell me that the mere mention of being an Adventist usually 'scares' them off, but it's not worked for me.  I've tried taking their pamphlets, I've tried being semi-rude, I've tried not answering the door...but they come so damn early, they know we are there.

How can I stop them?  I feel a certain kinship with them in that they are doing missionary work and so do I ( though not door-to-door ) so I don't want to be really rude...

Crow

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 07, 2012, 10:05:37 PM
...they are doing missionary work and so do I ( though not door-to-door )...

Please please please don't tell me you're a pamphlet preacher.
Retired member.

zeroday

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2012, 09:53:14 PM
How are apostates treated?

This may answer your question...

Jehovah's Witnesses claim apostates mentally diseased

An article published in July's edition of The Watchtower warns followers to stay clear of "false teachers" who are condemned as being "mentally diseased" apostates who should be avoided at all costs. "Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease," the article reads. "You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are 'mentally diseased', and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings."

zeroday

Normally I'm very kind to the JW's that come a-knockin'.  But I've not found a sure-fire way of getting them to stop coming week by week.  ( They don't come EVERY week, but when they do come, it seems they stick with the route for a month or two )

My other Adventist friends tell me that the mere mention of being an Adventist usually 'scares' them off, but it's not worked for me.  I've tried taking their pamphlets, I've tried being semi-rude, I've tried not answering the door...but they come so damn early, they know we are there.

How can I stop them?  I feel a certain kinship with them in that they are doing missionary work and so do I ( though not door-to-door ) so I don't want to be really rude...

Two things you can do. Ask them to put you on their "do not call" list they will make a note on their territory card not to call on your address although an elder will usually call on you once a year to see if you still don't want to be called on...second tell them you were a JW for many years and are now an apostate although if they have been calling on you for some time that might not work...

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Crow on August 07, 2012, 10:22:13 PM

Is that the only type of missionary work you can think of?

No, I don't do preaching at all...unless you call my presence here at HAF preaching.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: zeroday on August 07, 2012, 10:26:05 PM

Two things you can do. Ask them to put you on their "do not call" list they will make a note on their territory card not to call on your address although an elder will usually call on you once a year to see if you still don't want to be called on...second tell them you were a JW for many years and are now an apostate although if they have been calling on you for some time that might not work...

Thanks.  I'll try it next time.  :)

Ecurb Noselrub

Ecurb Noselrub

What do JW's say about the failed prophecies of Jesus' return: 1914, 1925, 1975, etc.

En_Route

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 07, 2012, 10:31:05 PM

No, I don't do preaching at all...unless you call my presence here at HAF preaching.

I'd describe it more as martyrdom.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: En_Route on August 07, 2012, 10:49:38 PM

I'd describe it more as martyrdom.

Heh.  :)

En_Route

Quote from: Theta Sigma on August 07, 2012, 09:42:35 PM
My bad.  The underwear thing is the Mormons.  Got my cults mixed up.

I know that members of the First Church of Jesus the Swinger are obliged to wear g- strings. And nothing else.

En_Route

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 07, 2012, 10:47:29 PM
What do JW's say about the failed prophecies of Jesus' return: 1914, 1925, 1975, etc.

Bureaucratic inflexibility at Immigration Control.

zeroday

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 07, 2012, 10:47:29 PM

They blame it on the rank and file JW for misunderstanding their failed prophesy...this is how they dealt with the failed 1975 prophesy:

Watchtower 1976 July 15 p.441 A Solid Basis for Confidence

11 It may be that some who have been serving God have planned their lives according to a mistaken view of just what was to happen on a certain date or in a certain year. They may have, for this reason, put off or neglected things that they otherwise would have cared for. But they have missed the point of the Bible's warnings concerning the end of this system of things, thinking that Bible chronology reveals the specific date.

[...]

15 But it is not advisable for us to set our sights on a certain date, neglecting everyday things we would ordinarily care for as Christians, such as things that we and our families really need. We may be forgetting that, when the "day" comes, it will not change the principle that Christians must at all times take care of all their responsibilities. If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.

16 However, say that you are one who counted heavily on a date, and, commendably, set your attention more strictly on the urgency of the times and the need of the people to hear. And say you now, temporarily, feel somewhat disappointed; are you really the loser? Are you really hurt? We believe you can say that you have gained and profited by taking this conscientious course. Also, you have been enabled to get a really mature, more reasonable viewpoint.-Eph. 5:1-17.

Crow

Nope it's just the way you said fellow missionaries which made me think you did a similar kind.

I don't do preaching at all...unless you call my presence here at HAF preaching.

Kinda but not the bad type.
Retired member.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Crow on August 07, 2012, 11:05:29 PM

Nope it's just the way you said fellow missionaries which made me think you did a similar kind.

I don't do preaching at all...unless you call my presence here at HAF preaching.

Kinda but not the bad type.

Gotcha.  :)