So long Voyager 1

Started by Siz, June 26, 2012, 05:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: markmcdaniel on June 27, 2012, 05:13:59 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 27, 2012, 03:36:08 AM
Quote from: markmcdaniel on June 26, 2012, 10:23:37 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2012, 09:56:55 PM
How's about one of them ion drives? Those could accelerate for decades, no?  ???
A light sail would probably be better. What a fantastic mission and its not over yet!

Didn't it have one of those? Lots of free solar wind going to waste there :-\

Anyways, it's been 35 years and Voyager is only just now leaving the solar magnetic bubble?  :oThat really (sorta) puts things into perspective. Our immediate neighborhood is huge.
I Think you are thinking of a solar panel which is used to generate electrical power. A light sail is used to harvest light photons to provide thrust.

No, I was talking about a "sail" for particles coming from the sun. I feel too lazy to google, it. :P

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

McQ

Quote from: Tank on June 27, 2012, 07:45:44 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2012, 09:56:55 PM
How's about one of them ion drives? Those could accelerate for decades, no?  ???
I would agree.

Ion propulsion...slow to get up to speed, but man it will gogogo and keep on accelerating.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean

Yes... I was reading this incredibly long article about that. The tech is surprisingly simple (I can understand it quite well, as opposed to many other weird new techs), but it shows potential. What if we combine it with some good old rocket boosters to give it the highest possible α0? That would mean it would go even faster even sooner, yes?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Steve Reason

Even though it's an awe-inspiring thing to think that one of our spacecrafts is accomplishing this, it really can be quite discouraging when you realize it's been traveling for roughly 13k days, and yet if it sent us a message, it would get here in less than 1 day. We really have a practically Sisyphean task ahead of us to travel to the stars. We've gone such a short distance so far, in a galaxy and universe measured in 6 trillion mile increments -- very few of which are in the single digits. Still, this fills me with hope and giddy wonderment. :)
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

hismikeness

Our fastest rockets today take several days to the moon, six months to Mars (if optimum alignment occurs) and years and beyond to further planets.

To try and comprehend getting to another star system light years away is baffling.  ???
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite