News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

So long Voyager 1

Started by Siz, June 26, 2012, 05:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

To boldly go where no piece of human engineering has ever gone before!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on June 26, 2012, 06:03:41 PM
To boldly go where no piece of human engineering has ever gone before!

Has it not been doing that for a while now?  Pretty amazing stuff.

Siz

I think 'Pale Blue Dot' was Voyagers' most important gift to humanity. It gives us an incling of perspective allowing us to drink-in the real meaning of our existence.

Carl Sagan commented thus:
Quote"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

"The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

"Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Asmodean

Hm... I wonder if we can't put some spacecraft together that can catch and overtake the old bird, photograph it, send the pic back and get to the aliens before Voyager does? Just to stick it to the scientists from half a century or so ago  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

I don't think we've moved on enough in terms of accelleration and speed that it'd be achievable. Maybe something like Moores Law might apply whereby there'd be no point in launching anything for several centuries (for example) as any prior launches would be overtaken by subsequent superior craft.

According to Wiki, it'd take Voyager at its current speed 73,600 years to reach Proxima Centauri - if it was even heading that way. I take great comfort in knowing that it'll be still whizzing away from Earth at it's pathetically slow speed long after we've killed Mother Earth and most things on it. ;) How beautifully sad... and how beautifully wonderful!

Asmodean

How's about one of them ion drives? Those could accelerate for decades, no?  ???
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2012, 09:56:55 PM
How's about one of them ion drives? Those could accelerate for decades, no?  ???
A light sail would probably be better. What a fantastic mission and its not over yet!
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: markmcdaniel on June 26, 2012, 10:23:37 PM
A light sail would probably be better. What a fantastic mission and its not over yet!

Didn't it have one of those? Lots of free solar wind going to waste there :-\

Anyways, it's been 35 years and Voyager is only just now leaving the solar magnetic bubble?  :oThat really (sorta) puts things into perspective. Our immediate neighborhood is huge.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 27, 2012, 03:36:08 AM
Our immediate neighborhood is huge.

11 billion miles. A hop, skip, and a jump compared to other cosmic measurements.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 27, 2012, 04:47:11 AM
Our immediate neighborhood is huge.

11 billion miles. A hop, skip, and a jump compared to other cosmic measurements.
Eh... Just the skip, really. A tiny one.  :-\
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

I would agree.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: markmcdaniel on June 26, 2012, 10:23:37 PM

Didn't it have one of those? Lots of free solar wind going to waste there :-\

Anyways, it's been 35 years and Voyager is only just now leaving the solar magnetic bubble?  :oThat really (sorta) puts things into perspective. Our immediate neighborhood is huge.
I Think you are thinking of a solar panel which is used to generate electrical power. A light sail is used to harvest light photons to provide thrust.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

OldGit

Quote from: markmcdanielA light sail is used to harvest light photons to provide thrust.

Read that good old SF story The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, in which aliens send a light-sail powered craft on an interstellar voyage by shining massive batteries of lasers on it for centuries.

Tom62

Quote from: OldGit on June 27, 2012, 05:24:39 PM
Read that good old SF story The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, in which aliens send a light-sail powered craft on an interstellar voyage by shining massive batteries of lasers on it for centuries.
I loved that book !!!
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein