News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

For the ladies - fashion thread

Started by Amicale, June 29, 2012, 05:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 29, 2012, 07:45:59 PM
Okay, I have some more time, so I'm going to post a proper response. As I wrote in the obsession thread, I've been obsessed with Modcloth lately.

The following are some of my recent purchases  ;D

(I think I wore this one during the last HAF meetup)

They do good stuff.
Ruche and Boutique Onze have similar items, but they don't update their inventory as often.

I particularly like number 4, the frolicsome librarian look.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: En_Route on June 30, 2012, 10:21:19 PM

Well that seems like a rather disappointing conservative choice, the colour is merely a pale reflection of your self.  Number three would have been a striking complimentary choice I think.

Buddy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 01, 2012, 06:03:59 AM

Well that seems like a rather disappointing conservative choice, the colour is merely a pale reflection of your self.  Number three would have been a striking complimentary choice I think.

I'm not a fan of number three. That yellow color just would not look good on me.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

I'm a bit disappointed. I came *this* close to buying an adorable dress from modcloth but decided to call them because I had a few questions, and it turns out that based on what she said, there was a pretty high chance that what I wanted wouldn't fit certain parts of me the way I wanted it to... so I'll just be keeping my eyes open for other styles, etc.

In the end, I'm happy with the simple black housedress I bought from Walmart.  :D It's so soft and flowy and comfy, and comes to my knees. Light material, not hot at all. Yay. It was about $15 too. I'm a fan of clothing that doesn't break the bank, seeing as I don't have much bank to break. ;)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 01, 2012, 06:32:56 AM

I'm not a fan of number three. That yellow color just would not look good on me.

Re: En_Route, that one is one of my favourites on, actually. I think I'm going to wear it to a wedding in a few weeks.

Re: Puddin', the yellow cardigan is one of my favourites.  ;D I like to wear it with a bright purple top that I have.

Re: Budhorse: I tend to like primary colours or earth tones. I think it depends on your skin tone. The pastel trend that's huge right now doesn't work for me at all. :(

Re: Amicale. Aw, that kinda sucks :( Better safe than sorry, though (especially since Modcloth doesn't do returns for Canadians). I've found that their sizing does tend to vary a lot.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

DeterminedJuliet

Oohh, Amicale, I found this site:
https://dress911.com. And, they're Canadian!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 01, 2012, 02:11:07 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 01, 2012, 06:32:56 AM

Re: En_Route, that one is one of my favourites on, actually. I think I'm going to wear it to a wedding in a few weeks.

Re: Puddin', the yellow cardigan is one of my favourites.  ;D I like to wear it with a bright purple top that I have.

Re: Budhorse: I tend to like primary colours or earth tones. I think it depends on your skin tone. The pastel trend that's huge right now doesn't work for me at all. :(

Re: Amicale. Aw, that kinda sucks :( Better safe than sorry, though (especially since Modcloth doesn't do returns for Canadians). I've found that their sizing does tend to vary a lot.

I was going to remark what is evident to all, namely that I am sure that on you they will all look equally fabulous, when I recalled your husband is also on the forum and he might take violent exception to such blandishments.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

DeterminedJuliet

Nah, neither of us are easily threatened ( I keep telling him that once he's a professor, he's going to have undergrads swooning all over him. Though he doesn't believe me).

But that's kind, thanks.  :)

Ali

DJ, I love the blue flowered dress.  So cute!

I tend to favor fitted or empire-waisted dresses/shirts on myself.  I'm curvy, so if I don't have something cinching me in the middle I tend to look boxy and bigger than I am. 

Something like this, only preferably with straps because I don't entirely trust a strapless top to stay where it needs to be.  Also probably in a jewel tone because it looks better with my coloring.  Picture this shirt with straps, in a deep blue.

and then cuffed dark wash capris:

(Sorry Amicale, I know you asked for skirts and dresses but I'm just not that big on skirts and dresses.)

And strappy sandals:

Nails are natural or red, always.  Currently finger nails are natural and toe nails are that sparkly red I posted in the What's On Your Mind Thread.

Here:

Sorry Crow, I know you asked for accessories too, but I honestly rarely wear any jewelry other than my wedding ring:

But if you count my purse as an accessory, I'm usually rocking a cute one (I love purses and handbags.)

Current purse:

DeterminedJuliet

Ali

Amicale

Ali, adorable purse!  ;D I, too, am a bag lady! (ha ha). I seriously probably have ten purses.

And I don't mind at ALL, people sharing cute shirts, pants, sandals etc! That combination you posted, Ali, looks totally cute. Love the sandals!

The site DJ pointed me to gave me a few great ideas I love the look of:

Buddy

I really wish this dress wasn't 135 USD. I love it so much!

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 02, 2012, 02:40:11 AM
I really wish this dress wasn't 135 USD. I love it so much!

That's adorable!