News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

If you had to start a religion...

Started by Amicale, March 26, 2012, 03:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

Quote from: Amicale on March 29, 2012, 04:16:26 PM
Quote from: Ali on March 29, 2012, 04:10:58 PM
Quote from: Amicale on March 29, 2012, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: Ali on March 29, 2012, 03:36:49 PM

You had me at "plenty of wine and bread."  Booze and carbs, two of my favorite things!

*Glugging wine and munching on bread*

Careful Ali, the Catholics are HUGE fans of wine and bread. Don't let them lure you. Stick with Jimmy!  :D

Edit: come to think of it, I bet a LOT of their converts do it because they go "wine and bread? Sold!"  :P

I wasn't raised Catholic, but my parents' church does do communion.  That was always my favorite part of church when I was a kid.  A shot of grape juice and a bit of cracker.  Snack time!

You see, the Protestants at least have that in their favour. According to what each believe...

When giving out the bread and wine in a Protestant church, it STAYS bread and wine and they believe it's snack time in memory of Jesus. Yay!

When giving out the bread and wine in a Catholic church, it turns into ACTUAL flesh and blood and they believe they're supposed to eat and drink it so that they're literally digesting their savior. Yikes!

Even when I WAS Catholic, I probably excommunicated myself because I NEVER believed that anything turned into anything else. If it looked like bread and wine, I didn't think it magically turned into something else while only retaining the 'accidental appearance' of what it really was.  :P

Man. All this talk about wine, and I want some. And it's not even 11:30 am. This is bad.  :D
You had me at "plenty of wine and bread."  Booze and carbs, two of my favorite things!

*Glugging wine and munching on bread*

See how easy it is to get new members with bread and wine!! Amicale, I do believe that makes three!! There is a wine for such an occasion....... :P

For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Jimmy

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 29, 2012, 05:11:07 PM
I dunno, those communion wafers always tasted pretty gross to me. As soon as they get in your mouth they disintegrate and turn all gluey. Yuck. :P

Maybe some garlic breadsticks? Or a soft pretzel? Then we're talking.

LOL....they are pretty gross. The eastern orthodox churches use leaven bread I believe. I'm not sure why they get the tasty treats!!

If you switch to pretzels, you'll have to substitute beer for the wine, it just wouldn't work any other way  :D
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Jimmy on March 29, 2012, 05:30:04 PM
I dunno, those communion wafers always tasted pretty gross to me. As soon as they get in your mouth they disintegrate and turn all gluey. Yuck. :P

LOL....they are pretty gross. The eastern orthodox churches use leaven bread I believe. I'm not sure why they get the tasty treats!!

If you switch to pretzels, you'll have to substitute beer for the wine, it just wouldn't work any other way  :D

I am agreeable to this arrangement.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

ROFL @ the Menage a trois wine! As for the pretzels, I'm down with that. If we HAVE to switch the wine to beer (sigh) please pass me either a honey lager or Rickard's Red.  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Jimmy

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 29, 2012, 05:41:23 PM

YAY!!
I love your wine drinking, yoga master! That is mascot material :)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Jimmy on March 30, 2012, 04:30:54 AM

YAY!!

Ohhh, you see he is practicing a very sacred rite for our new religion. It's the.. uh.. bendy-drinky-fall down rite.
Very sacred. Very holy.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 05:16:21 AM

Ohhh, you see he is practicing a very sacred rite for our new religion. It's the.. uh.. bendy-drinky-fall down rite.
Very sacred. Very holy.

Yes.
It's called "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, FLOOR".

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Tank

For those historians of 2,138 this is the image being discussed  ;D

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on March 30, 2012, 06:43:40 AM
For those historians of 2,138 this is the image being discussed  ;D

It's oddly hypnotic. I keep watching it. I've even shared it with 2 other friends who liked it. I think it's got some kind of hold on me...  :o  :D

DeterminedJuliet

That's how we get you into our religion! He's subtly brain-washing you  :o

Jimmy

To such an effect that I'm willing to donate 10% of my income and perhaps more offerings just to see him do even more amazing tricks. Hey, wait a minute!.. This is eerily like a religion!! He offers to lead you to a state of perpetual bliss, but leaves you waiting, wanting, and begging for more, but will just never be able to deliver. Oh well, But he will.....maybe it'll happen.....just....may...be......(watching with anticipation).....

DeterminedJuliet

*begins passing around collection plate*  ;D

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

reddevil0126

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 05:16:21 AM
Quote from: Jimmy on March 30, 2012, 04:30:54 AM

YAY!!

Very sacred. Very holy.

I just became a new member of your religion.  Please enlighten me how to do the bendy-drinky-fall down rite.  It will definitely lead me to the state of egolessness and nirvana!

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 05:31:22 PM
*begins passing around collection plate*  ;D

I think this sign ought to be in the parking lot of our meeting area. Just to scare people.  ;D