News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Who would of guessed it. It's a new guy.

Started by Tankcaster, September 24, 2011, 06:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankcaster

Hello happy atheists my name is Hank. I'm 15 and I'm an atheist stuck in the middle of Southern Baptist Oklahoma and am looking for a place to vent. I've been reading the forum for a while and finally decided to join. I'm also a musician. I play the bass guitar mainly, but I also play guitar and drums. Nice to be here and I can't wait to start posting!
"Better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" - André Gide

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tankcaster on September 24, 2011, 06:56:41 AMI'm an atheist stuck in the middle of Southern Baptist Oklahoma and am looking for a place to vent.

That blows.

Greetings

Siz

Cool. Whaddya play?

Tell us your best Baptist-bashing story. And convey, if you can, the full level of piety and mindless arrogance of their religiousness. And don't leave out the bits where you respond with a satanic diatribe, equal and opposite to their bigotted and righteous buffoonery.

Welcome...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Melody

I'm not sure if that's worse than Lancaster County PA, but it's surely close.

Always Amused

Quote from: Tankcaster on September 24, 2011, 06:56:41 AM
... I'm an atheist stuck in the middle of Southern Baptist Oklahoma....

Quote from: Melody on September 24, 2011, 11:53:10 PM
I'm not sure if that's worse than Lancaster County PA, but it's surely close.

Familiar with Lancaster county and the surrounding areas. Can't speak directly about Oklahoma, but almost anywhere in South Carolina has Lancaster and probably most of the US beat. Though they do have nice beaches.

Welcome Tankcaster.
"...as in matters of intellect, do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable."      Thomas Henry Huxley

SatanicBurrito

Lancaster, Oklahoma, or South Carolina.  Lol choose your poison.  I will rank them as follows:

Lancaster.  Scary Amish and Mennonite cultists abound.  But if you need a barn raised, you're golden.  Also many Amish sneak out at night, change into normal clothes, and party.  Not terribly far from cultural salvation of Philadelphia.  I give Lancaster a ranking of the lessest of the 3 evils.

South Carolina. Bible belt.  The pure south.  Probably the worst educational system in the country. That's a hellish adversary for enlightenment.  But there's good barbecue & beaches.  And South Carolina is home to Pedros "South of the Border", the coolest tourist trap in the world.  For that I score South Carolina a ranking of lesser of the 3 evils.

Oklahoma. Holy crap. You're fucked.  ;)

MathKat

Hi Hank,

I'm also new.  I understand about needing to vent.  I live, and grew up in, in Los Angeles, and had never really felt smothered by one religion or another.  I live in an area that is quite diverse.  But for 3 years my husband and I lived in Mesa, AZ.  Which, unbeknownst to us until we moved there, is the 2nd largest Mormon Community to Utah.  All of the sudden we were surrounded by people who's main goal was to hold our noses and try to shove their Bible down our throats.  The knocked on our door every single Saturday and sometimes in the middle of the week.  It was extremely annoying and after 3 years of that, we had had it and decided it was time to come home.