News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Terrorist attack in Oslo

Started by Guardian85, July 23, 2011, 01:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: wildfire_emissary on July 24, 2011, 02:14:44 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on July 24, 2011, 12:12:55 PM
Quote from: wildfire_emissary on July 24, 2011, 09:43:05 AM
I don't if this is true but Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami (Assistants of the Global Jihad) claims to have initiated these violent attacks.

http://www.norwaynews.com/en/~view.php?72Ta854RM4482bB285Gpm844QL3884V076CFo453Q6I8

This has been retracted, and the perpetrator has been caught. Like the others have said, right-wing christian nazi wannabe.

Ugh. Still religion?
Religion is always the reason for senseless violence....  :-\
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Good news (but only just) the death toll has been revised down to 76. The bomb total has been revised up by one to 8 while the total at the island has dropped to 68. While numbers are relativly meaningless in cases like this I was pleased to see the number drop back from the emotionally significant 100+ level.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Abletony

Oh so you think 76 dead people is good news? Are you for real?

Sweetdeath

That's still a lot of people..   Even one person would sadden me.

So, they have this lunatic in custody?

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 25, 2011, 05:17:41 PM
That's still a lot of people..   Even one person would sadden me.

Yes. He gave himself up on the Island. It looks like this is, in part, a massive publicity stunt alongside an attempt to de-stabilise the Norwegian labour party. That failed because he missed the Prime Minister with the bomb. He is claiming that he did not do this alone and that there are two more 'cells' that are still out there. He has admitted his actions, but not his guilt, claiming what he did was 'necessary'.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on July 25, 2011, 06:00:44 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 25, 2011, 05:17:41 PM
That's still a lot of people..   Even one person would sadden me.

Yes. He gave himself up on the Island. It looks like this is, in part, a massive publicity stunt alongside an attempt to de-stabilise the Norwegian labour party. That failed because he missed the Prime Minister with the bomb. He is claiming that he did not do this alone and that there are two more 'cells' that are still out there. He has admitted his actions, but not his guilt, claiming what he did was 'necessary'.

Damn sociopath...
There really is no justice in this world.  Even torture is too good for this scum.

Cecilie

A quote by a girl who was present at Utøya: "If one man can create that much hate, you can only imagine how much love we as a togetherness can create [...]"

Obviously, English isn't perfect, but you get the idea.
The world's what you create.

Sweetdeath

It's hard to love when so much violence and hatred exists...

If a psycho murders a little kid, but a man adopts two, which really has the greater impact?

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 25, 2011, 07:19:08 PM
It's hard to love when so much violence and hatred exists...

If a psycho murders a little kid, but a man adopts two, which really has the greater impact?
They can't be balenced as they are not related. For the adopted children the impact will be life changing. For the murder victim they won't know what happened as they will be dead, the pain of the murder lives on in the friends and relatives of the victim.

Tank

Quote from: Abletony on July 25, 2011, 05:09:42 PM
76 is better than 98, which was the point I was making. If a plane crashes and people get out alive that is good news within a tragedy. That 76 people died is a tragedy for those people, all the friends and relatives of the people who died and those injured and the people caught up in the situation that were not physically injured. But outside that group of the directly effected, their friends and relatives this is a news story (gossip), something that happened to somebody else.

Good news takes strange forms in a tragedy. The YouTube videos of pet dogs that survived the Japanese tsunami. I knew a girl when I was a teen whose father had met her mother in a german concentration camp. He was a British soldier and she was a Polish jew. He was involved in the liberation of the camp, she was barely alive but survived and eventually came back to the UK where she had a daughter (the girl I knew), who went on to have two kids. So while 6,000,000 'ish jews died it's the survivors that a celebrated.

Abletony, if you live in the UK, and have not already been, it's worth making the effort to go to the Holocaust Centre near Newark. It illustrates that there are no limits to the evil that people can do nor the good they can do either.

Everybody dies eventually, medical care does not save life, it only prolongs it. 76 lives were ended prematurely by Anders Behring Breivik, I'm glad it wasn't 98, aren't you?

Tank

An interesting article on the BBC Norway attacks: How will experts assess the killer's mind?

It's all speculation at the moment but it will be interesting to see how close the speculation turns out.

Abletony

Quote from: Tank on July 26, 2011, 09:07:37 AM
76 is better than 98, which was the point I was making. If a plane crashes and people get out alive that is good news within a tragedy. That 76 people died is a tragedy for those people, all the friends and relatives of the people who died and those injured and the people caught up in the situation that were not physically injured. But outside that group of the directly effected, their friends and relatives this is a news story (gossip), something that happened to somebody else.

Good news takes strange forms in a tragedy. The YouTube videos of pet dogs that survived the Japanese tsunami. I knew a girl when I was a teen whose father had met her mother in a german concentration camp. He was a British soldier and she was a Polish jew. He was involved in the liberation of the camp, she was barely alive but survived and eventually came back to the UK where she had a daughter (the girl I knew), who went on to have two kids. So while 6,000,000 'ish jews died it's the survivors that a celebrated.

Abletony, if you live in the UK, and have not already been, it's worth making the effort to go to the Holocaust Centre near Newark. It illustrates that there are no limits to the evil that people can do nor the good they can do either.

Everybody dies eventually, medical care does not save life, it only prolongs it. 76 lives were ended prematurely by Anders Behring Breivik, I'm glad it wasn't 98, aren't you?

All of that could have been said with about a quarter of the number of words, Tank. I get it, ok.

Tank

Quote from: Abletony on July 26, 2011, 10:49:45 AM

All of that could have been said with about a quarter of the number of words, Tank. I get it, ok.
Balance.

Sweetdeath

Perhaps you should read the civility thread.   There's no need to be snarky to Tank.  He was just answering your question.

I like what you said, Tank.  I agree that even good things can come from a great tragedy.

Abletony

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 26, 2011, 04:46:59 PM

Perhaps you should read the civility thread.   There's no need to be snarky to Tank.  He was just answering your question.

I like what you said, Tank.  I agree that even good things can come from a great tragedy.

I wasn't being snarky. I was just jokingly pointing out that he was being a bit long winded in his answer. He doesn't seem to have a problem and I think he read my tone correctly, whereas you've got the wrong end of the stick. No one is being snarky.