Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The cycle

Started by bicycle, June 25, 2011, 01:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bicycle

Whitney

Quote from: bicycle on June 25, 2011, 04:17:06 PM
okay, good point, can you define yourself? please be complete in your definition, otherwise I will not believe you exist...

I could define myself as a homo sapiens of the Caucasian female variety then go further to describe my unique characteristics which set me apart from other homo sapiens.  I'm not going to describe myself in the level of detail necessary to set me apart from all other people on the earth on the internet since I value what little privacy I have left from being so open online.

Have you bothered thinking about this much because it took me a whole two seconds to start defining myself.

bicycle

Quote from: Whitney on June 25, 2011, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: bicycle on June 25, 2011, 04:17:06 PM
okay, good point, can you define yourself? please be complete in your definition, otherwise I will not believe you exist...

I could define myself as a homo sapiens of the Caucasian female variety then go further to describe my unique characteristics which set me apart from other homo sapiens.  I'm not going to describe myself in the level of detail necessary to set me apart from all other people on the earth on the internet since I value what little privacy I have left from being so open online.

Have you bothered thinking about this much because it took me a whole two seconds to start defining myself.

Ya, you basically proved my point, that God cannot be defined as much as yourself cannot be defined...you still haven't defined yourself and you never will.

Edit:
Quote from: Whitney on June 25, 2011, 03:39:13 AM
I do not believe in things that aren't supported by evidence...that includes both religion and god.

The very fact that you even admit to not knowing how to define god is reason enough to not claim to have a belief in it...you can't believe in what you can't define; you have to at least have some idea of what it is and how it differs from other ideas.

That also includes yourself, you cannot completely define yourself. religion can easily be defined: 1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods. 2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

There is no evidence that OJ killed his wife either, guess it never happened  ::) evidence for God existing would mean there would be no belief in God, just fact...

Whitney

Quote from: bicycle on June 25, 2011, 07:21:01 PM

Ya, you basically proved my point, that God cannot be defined as much as yourself cannot be defined...you still haven't defined yourself and you never will.

Frankly I don't care if you don't understand how definitions work.  I'm certainly not going to define myself in great detail on a public forum.  If I believed in a god, however, I would be able to define what it was that I think a god is to the extent necessary for someone to decide if they also believe in it.

If your point is you believe in something that even you don't know how to describe then I'll just assume you like the word god yet don't know what one is...that's your prerogative.

bicycle

Quote from: Whitney on June 25, 2011, 07:50:26 PM
Quote from: bicycle on June 25, 2011, 07:21:01 PM

Frankly I don't care if you don't understand how definitions work.  I'm certainly not going to define myself in great detail on a public forum.  If I believed in a god, however, I would be able to define what it was that I think a god is to the extent necessary for someone to decide if they also believe in it.

If your point is you believe in something that even you don't know how to describe then I'll just assume you like the word god yet don't know what one is...that's your prerogative.

I can describe God, but no I cannot define God just like nothing can define me...You can describe yourself all you want, and I don't care if you don't know how describing works, you certainly never defined yourself, sorry admin nice try though...

Whitney

I suggest that you correct your attitude because you are not going to be allowed to stick around much longer if you are going to troll by pretending that words like define and describe have different meanings.

bicycle

Quote from: Whitney on June 25, 2011, 08:35:49 PM
I suggest that you correct your attitude because you are not going to be allowed to stick around much longer if you are going to troll by pretending that words like define and describe have different meanings.

well let me defend myself at least,

def·i·ni·tion/ˌdefəˈniSHən/Noun
1. A statement of the exact meaning of a word, esp. in a dictionary.
2. An exact statement or description of the nature, scope, or meaning of something.

de·scrip·tion/diˈskripSHən/Noun
1. A spoken or written representation or account of a person, object, or event: "people who had seen him were able to give a description".
2. The action of giving such a representation or account.

Do you see the difference?
EDit:
If it will make you happy I will "define" God: The ultimate perspective; Reasoning for existence; the force; time+energy; etc. etc. you could put Kharma in there if you want...

xSilverPhinx

What are your basis for believing in god if you can't adequelty define him?

QuoteIf it will make you happy I will "define" God: The ultimate perspective; Reasoning for existence; the force; time+energy; etc. etc. you could put Kharma in there if you want...

Um...why worship the ultimate perspective; reasoning for existence; the force; time+energy; Kharma etc.

(though I do like karma ;D )
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

bicycle

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 26, 2011, 12:53:32 AM

My response to this, has been, you can't adequately define yourself, so why would you be able to do it to God? The truth is, there is a difference in describing something and defining it. Definitions are for words...

Um...why worship the ultimate perspective; reasoning for existence; the force; time+energy; Kharma etc.

Worship is also a word that probably a lot of people don't like, why not try 'respect' do you respect Karma?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: bicycle on June 26, 2011, 02:12:37 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 26, 2011, 12:53:32 AM

My response to this, has been, you can't adequately define yourself, so why would you be able to do it to God? The truth is, there is a difference in describing something and defining it. Definitions are for words...

I don't need to define myself to you to show you that I exist. Do you see my writing this post as evidence for my existence? Is it in any way ambiguous?

QuoteWorship is also a word that probably a lot of people don't like, why not try 'respect' do you respect Karma?

I like the concept, but don't see it as anything supernatural. It's more a probabilistic consequence. If you keep doing bad things, chances are they will bite you in the future. Live by the sword, die by the sword...that sort of thing.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

I feel as if you are making us all suffer, and your mutiple posts are very borderline trolling. I feel as if your preaching and generalizing athiests without knowing a single thing about the word.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

bicycle

QuoteI feel as if you are making us all suffer, and your mutiple posts are very borderline trolling. I feel as if your preaching and generalizing athiests without knowing a single thing about the word.

Okay, sorry for preaching, I'm getting used to this board just give me a break, I'm just debating, and have had some sarcasm and snide remarks thrown at me so don't blame me...

I don't need to define myself to you to show you that I exist.

Then why did I have to define God?

I like the concept, but don't see it as anything supernatural. It's more a probabilistic consequence. If you keep doing bad things, chances are they will bite you in the future. Live by the sword, die by the sword...that sort of thing.

Really? So you can believe in it because you like it? How can you prove karma exists?

Whitney

Quote from: bicycle on June 25, 2011, 08:39:04 PM
Do you see the difference?

no, what i do see is that you are able to mine dictionaries in order to present the false appearance that there is a marked difference between two words.  Aside from a definition being more formal in usage there is no practical difference between the two words.  Are you done playing with semantics?

bicycle

Descriptions are for someone or something, Definitions are for words.

Gawen

Quote from: bicycle on June 26, 2011, 03:12:23 AM
Okay, sorry for preaching, I'm getting used to this board just give me a break, I'm just debating, and have had some sarcasm and snide remarks thrown at me so don't blame me...

Well, you did say you wanted to play with the big boys.

QuoteThen why did I have to define God?
Because one cannot debate about the gods without defining them. As for defining ourselves, that is not within the realm of this forum. Because you cannot define god and claiming that we cannot define ourselves sets up several logical fallacies.

In a debate, when one side makes assertions, it is expected of them to provide evidence of the assertions. You have not done this. This makes me come to two conclusions - either your debating skills are rudimentary, or you come here to purposefully set up logical fallacies to hide behind.

You can assuage this by debating properly. Doing this might allow you to stay here longer as well...*shrugs*

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor