News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What is the strangest story from the bible?

Started by Sweetdeath, May 31, 2011, 07:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimzo

Quote from: Whitney on June 14, 2011, 06:46:28 PM
my point is that is it not strange...it's just like any collection of books.
Right, but some commonalities and differences are more significant than others, depending on the nature of the collection.  The Bible is not a random collection of books - there is a rather obvious connection between them in that the central character is God.  So, when God doesn't appear to show up in one of the books of the Bible, that is rather strange given the nature of the Bible.  That is what strange means, right?  Unusual, odd, curious.
"Those who believe that they believe in God, but without passion in their hearts, without anguish in mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, without an element of despair even in their consolation, believe only in the God idea, not God Himself."  (Miguel de Unamuno)

Davin

The bible is strange in itself, full of this god doing many horrible things, commanding many horrible things, doing some other things then after the bible is written... nothing. The unchanging god had stopped doing what he had been doing. That is strange.

More specifically, the world wide flood is strange, how did so many animals live on a ship, not eat eachother and poop all the time for like eleven months and not be sick at the end of it? Plus it appears that whomever came up with that story didn't know about the survivability of many fresh water fish when placed in salt water and many salt water fish when placed in fresh water... not to mention all the species of animals that had to have swam across oceans... the whole world wide flood story is ridiculous.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

original_gender

Hands down, the one where Christ turns Maury's rice pilaf into rice krispies to prove a point about the cons of oil-based personal lubricants.

wildfire_emissary

The 666 in Revelation. I dunno where Christians (especially Born-Agains) get the idea that the mark of the beast (aka Devil) 666, will be the symbol of prosperity during the Tribulation. Those people marked with 666 shall be the masters of the earth in the tribulation after the rapture but shall be thrown into the lake of fire while those who refuse to be marked shall live in a poor state during the tribulation but shall be raised "up" into heaven at the end of the world. And they all look forward to this day.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Sweetdeath

i'm still not sure what 666 is suppose to mean. I mean, why does it mean "evil" according to Christians?

I saw a shirt that said "333 (half evil)."  That made me laugh.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

OldGit

Seems it was originally 616, but no-one is sure what it is referring to.