News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

I'm the new kid on the block.

Started by PapistItalian16, May 02, 2011, 06:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapistItalian16

I'll start by posting the Apostles Creed, so that you know what I beleive in. Actually, just stating the fact that I will post the Apostle's Creed should be a "statement" about my beleifs within itself.

---

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord, Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.

Amen.

---
I wish for my experince on this forum to be one that will, through debate and descussion, help me to grow in my faith. Debates have a way of doing that.

"Catch you on the flipside!"
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

Stevil

Nice opening statement. Welcome aboard.

Maria

Welcome to HAF.
I hope your time on these boards will shake your faith.

Whitney

Welcome to HAF.

Please read our rules and about our 50 post getting to know you policy :)

hismikeness

Welcome to HAF

That Apostle's Creed is worded slightly differently from the one that was mindlessly recited by the congregation at the Catholic Church which I attended as a kid. Same basic idea though. I, for one, always said the entire thing, except the part "I believe in one Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church"... I never grasped believing in a building, or in the non-literal sense, an organization.

Anyway, I don't believe any of it now.

Welcome aboard.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Maria on May 02, 2011, 02:08:36 PM
Welcome to HAF.

First of all, it probably wont.   :P

And if it ever is, then know this: whenever my faith is shaken, it is always stabilized, and that stability brings growth. So, yes, in a sense I do hope that my faith is shaken, so that it may grow.

Quote from: hismikeness on May 02, 2011, 03:04:16 PM
Welcome to HAF

That Apostle's Creed is worded slightly differently from the one that was mindlessly recited by the congregation at the Catholic Church which I attended as a kid. Same basic idea though. I, for one, always said the entire thing, except the part "I believe in one Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church"... I never grasped believing in a building, or in the non-literal sense, an organization.

Anyway, I don't believe any of it now.

You're referring to the Profession of Faith. You are right in that it is basically the same thing, but with a few added things, and is a little longer.

But the congregation at my church does not "mindlessly" recite it. They say it with heart, and with faith. Faith that is not in a building, but in Mother Church, which through the grace and instruction of Jesus Christ, was created to spread His words and be witnesses to His works. The Catholic Church is more than just a building or an organisation, it is a lifestyle. And it is the truth.

And thanks for all of the "welcomes".  :)
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 02, 2011, 09:51:59 PM
Welcome to HAF.

And if it ever is, then know this: whenever my faith is shaken, it is always stabilized, and that stability brings growth. So, yes, in a sense I do hope that my faith is shaken, so that it may grow.
I don't know much about you but I am already encouraged by your posts (especially in comparisson to other theists that pop by).
If you really want to learn and strengthen your faith then I think you will get good value from this forum. I certainly look forward to hopefully being able to challenge some of your ideas and thoughts and hopefully you will provide me with much to think about.

Maria

Quote from: PapistItalian16 on May 02, 2011, 09:51:59 PM
Welcome to HAF.

I see your point. You're going to read our posts punching holes in your religion. Therefore, you'll require even more faith. You theists are quite fond of saying that 'faith is a virtue', so we'll be doing you a favour.  ;)
Seriously, I don't want to get too confrontational in your intro thread. So I'll just welcome you to HAF one more time.

Lizarda

"was it a big bang, or was there nothing else to drown out the noise" - Karl Pilkington

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Stevil on May 03, 2011, 08:11:11 AM
I don't know much about you but I am already encouraged by your posts (especially in comparisson to other theists that pop by).
If you really want to learn and strengthen your faith then I think you will get good value from this forum. I certainly look forward to hopefully being able to challenge some of your ideas and thoughts and hopefully you will provide me with much to think about.

I do look forward to a good challenge! haha!

Quote from: Maria on May 03, 2011, 08:50:39 AM

I see your point. You're going to read our posts punching holes in your religion. Therefore, you'll require even more faith. You theists are quite fond of saying that 'faith is a virtue', so we'll be doing you a favour.  ;)
Seriously, I don't want to get too confrontational in your intro thread. So I'll just welcome you to HAF one more time.

Hahaha. Sounds good to me. Thanks!

-- Firefly.

Ihateyoumike

Welcome to the forum.

Always good to have a theist who seems willing to come on here and discuss and not simply preach.

And boy was I uncomfortable the last time I was visiting my parents and my Mom guilted me into going to mass with her. Back when I was young and a sheep without a mind of my own, I remember reciting all those chants and creeds and whatnot like the little robot they had made me into.
Suddenly, after years of not going, I felt like I had been thrust right into the middle of a cult.

You must go to a different type of catholic church than any of the ones I've ever been to because I look around and all I see are expressionless faces and nothing that would look like any emotions from the congregation.

Having said that... The only cool thing about catholic church is how all the priests have to kinda sing-talk half the things they say. Always cracked me up... like, do they get lessons on how to do the sing-talking in the semenary, or is it just a talent that you get along with the "calling"?

Anyway, welcome again to the forum! A kudo simply for not starting out a preachy theist.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

PapistItalian16

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on May 03, 2011, 09:02:16 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Always good to have a theist who seems willing to come on here and discuss and not simply preach.

And boy was I uncomfortable the last time I was visiting my parents and my Mom guilted me into going to mass with her. Back when I was young and a sheep without a mind of my own, I remember reciting all those chants and creeds and whatnot like the little robot they had made me into.
Suddenly, after years of not going, I felt like I had been thrust right into the middle of a cult.

You must go to a different type of catholic church than any of the ones I've ever been to because I look around and all I see are expressionless faces and nothing that would look like any emotions from the congregation.

Having said that... The only cool thing about catholic church is how all the priests have to kinda sing-talk half the things they say. Always cracked me up... like, do they get lessons on how to do the sing-talking in the semenary, or is it just a talent that you get along with the "calling"?

Anyway, welcome again to the forum! A kudo simply for not starting out a preachy theist.

hahahahahahahaha. I think its just one of the many gifts that God bestows on to those who didicate their life in serving Him. And its funny you should mention that, because I actually feel God's call to the priesthood, so I'll have to inquire about that. hahaha.

And thanks for the "kudo". I had been -2 when I first got on here. hahaha "Gee, I wonder why?" Lol.

-- Firefly.

Stevil

Hey PapistItalian16

Only 35 posts to go then we can get into some decent theological discussions?
BTW, How old are you, what do you do for fun (besides bible study  :))
Any hobbies, interests, what country do you live in?