News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: Ali on February 10, 2012, 06:28:06 PM
I'm glad your friend decided not to risk it.  Haha about being "mom"; I'm the same way.  Last time I forgot my husband was going to be home late because of parent teacher conferences I was seriously ready to start calling all of the hospitals.  LOL

ROFL, yup, I'm the exact same way! If someone's really late, or isn't where they should be, I start worrying! Sigh. Everyone who I love and am close to has learned to just put up with me. It's not that I have any desire to control where they go -- I don't care if they go a hundred different places, as long as I know they're safe. They might roll their eyes, but they know I care. And I've been in the 'ack, I'm about to start calling hospitals!' mode too, more than a few times.  ;)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on February 10, 2012, 06:33:37 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 10, 2012, 06:28:06 PM
I'm glad your friend decided not to risk it.  Haha about being "mom"; I'm the same way.  Last time I forgot my husband was going to be home late because of parent teacher conferences I was seriously ready to start calling all of the hospitals.  LOL

ROFL, yup, I'm the exact same way! If someone's really late, or isn't where they should be, I start worrying! Sigh. Everyone who I love and am close to has learned to just put up with me. It's not that I have any desire to control where they go -- I don't care if they go a hundred different places, as long as I know they're safe. They might roll their eyes, but they know I care. And I've been in the 'ack, I'm about to start calling hospitals!' mode too, more than a few times.  ;)

Yes, that's exactly right!  I'm truly not controlling about where hubby goes.  It's not a trust thing at all.  He can go out with any of his friends or coworkers, male or female, any time that he likes.  I trust him implicitly.  I just get scared and start thinking terrible things like "What if he were in a horrible car accident?" if I don't know approximately where he is and approximately what time he'll be home.  He's learned to tolerate me too, because he knows that it's not coming from a place of possessivenes or jealousy, I just love him and worry about him.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on February 10, 2012, 08:54:12 PM

ROFL! I love it!

That's what happens when you try to steal Asmo. It's slow going...  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

I'm at a GLBT resource center that my friend took me too. It's really fun. The people here are so nice.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 11, 2012, 12:13:25 AM
I'm at a GLBT resource center that my friend took me too. It's really fun. The people here are so nice.

Awesome! Did you pick up some pamphlets and info and stuff, or just chat with the folks there? :)

Buddy

Just chatting. It was teen night that they have every Friday.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

fester30

I find it somewhat ironic that I'm a better husband now than I was when I was a Christian.  I also enjoy life more.  When I had a mythical heaven to look forward to, I just lived day to day, not really realizing what was amazing around me.  Sure, I had preachers telling me about all the beauty that God gave us, and then saw the horror stories about what some humans were doing to other humans, and those same preachers would tell me it was God allowing the devil to do such things.

Now, with my understanding that I am mortal, I also understand my existence as I am is temporary.  The temporary nature of my existence has opened my eyes to the beautiful, wonderful things in life.  Colors seem more vibrant, and I notice little things like dew dripping off a leaf so much more.  I marvel at the overcast days with snow falling and snow blanketing everything like I did when I was a child.  I appreciate what a caring, beautiful woman that has chosen to spend her time with me, and marvel at how she sees me as worthy of her time.  I take every opportunity to demonstrate my love and admiration to her.  I am a better husband BECAUSE I'm an atheist.

Amicale

Quote from: fester30 on February 11, 2012, 02:56:19 AM
I find it somewhat ironic that I'm a better husband now than I was when I was a Christian.  I also enjoy life more.  When I had a mythical heaven to look forward to, I just lived day to day, not really realizing what was amazing around me.  Sure, I had preachers telling me about all the beauty that God gave us, and then saw the horror stories about what some humans were doing to other humans, and those same preachers would tell me it was God allowing the devil to do such things.

Now, with my understanding that I am mortal, I also understand my existence as I am is temporary.  The temporary nature of my existence has opened my eyes to the beautiful, wonderful things in life.  Colors seem more vibrant, and I notice little things like dew dripping off a leaf so much more.  I marvel at the overcast days with snow falling and snow blanketing everything like I did when I was a child.  I appreciate what a caring, beautiful woman that has chosen to spend her time with me, and marvel at how she sees me as worthy of her time.  I take every opportunity to demonstrate my love and admiration to her.  I am a better husband BECAUSE I'm an atheist.

Awww... this is beautiful.  :) Thank you so much for sharing that!

I know what you're talking about. I don't take moments for granted. I don't believe that we get a second chance in an afterlife. What we have here is it, and I am just so happy for every moment I have with my loved ones, my friends.... all the little moments that mean so much. Taking time to just be in awe of the things that we sometimes take for granted which are wonderful. Also, using each and every moment, even the hard, difficult ones, to learn and grow. To become a better person. I try to do my best.

Sweetdeath

I have no guilt from an  invisible sky daddy as an atheist. :D
I enjoy life as well.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

I've tried using a green font when I'm putting forward the point of view of the downtrodden Christian.

For a warning of general Pudding lunacy, I'm thinking

fester30

Are you saying you've got a Christian hat pudding?

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: fester30 on February 11, 2012, 01:56:20 PM
Are you saying you've got a Christian hat pudding?

I have many, they come with the heads.
I have a reciprocal deal with Asmo.

Sometimes I take the side of the Christian, it's only because they've been so sadly denied a voice for so long.
Did you know some of them don't like contraception?  No, I know you don't know, I anticipate your answer.  But let me tell you they sit and sway back and forth holding their beads, never attempting to impose their will, just floating in a bubble of ill ease, never venturing to interfere with free will.

Ali

Is anyone else having trouble with the forum today?  Half the time I can't connect to it.

I remember hearing about a study with rats where some rats got a pellet of food every time they pushed the lever.  They would push the lever a few times, get bored, and leave off.  Some rats never got a pellet of food when they pushed the lever.  Those rats would push the lever a few times, get bored, and stop.  The last group of rats got a pellet of food every once and a while, randomly, when they pushed the lever.  Those rats would pound away at the levers obsessively until they dropped from exhaustion.  I feel like that kind of rat.