News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Your reading list?

Started by Reasonable, August 19, 2010, 07:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on April 29, 2012, 05:51:24 PM
I've got a couple going right now.  (My husband maintains that my inability to read just one book at a time is -yet another- sign of my adult onset ADD.)

Tell your husband "in his ear!".  I've been reading at least 3 books at a time since I learned to read and I have no problems with . . . fluffy bunny!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ali

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 29, 2012, 06:30:48 PM
Quote from: Ali on April 29, 2012, 05:51:24 PM
I've got a couple going right now.  (My husband maintains that my inability to read just one book at a time is -yet another- sign of my adult onset ADD.)

Tell your husband "in his ear!".  I've been reading at least 3 books at a time since I learned to read and I have no problems with . . . fluffy bunny!

LMAO The first time I tried to read this comment, I got distracted and didn't finish.  True story.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Crow on April 29, 2012, 03:39:11 PM
Can anyone recommend any good Sci-Fi novels?

I really enjoyed the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Firebird

I just finished both The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Hunger Games, the latter because my wife read it in about 48 hours and wants badly to see the movie. Hunger Games was pretty good, though a bit shallow for my tastes at times. I thought Battle Royale had more depth to it. But a decent read.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, though I saw through most of its twists, was more fascinating. Lisbeth Salander's character was really compelling and messed up.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Amicale

The Martian Chronicles by Rad Bradbury
Contact by Carl Sagan
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
1984 by George Orwell (this one's dystopian, but there is a sci-fi element to it)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Foundation trilogy by Isaac Isimov
The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds, and The Invisible Man, all by H.G. Wells

Just off the top of my head.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

What kind of sci fi?  It's a pretty varied genre and I lean to the softer, character-driven stuff.  My favorite sci fi author was Octavia Butler, who did some absolutely wild building-a-new-world stuff.  If you like military stuff (but not that blood and guts gritty) I'd suggest either C. J. Cherryh or Tanya Huff (the Valor series).
Sandy

history_geek

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 30, 2012, 01:50:13 AM

What kind of sci fi?  It's a pretty varied genre and I lean to the softer, character-driven stuff.  My favorite sci fi author was Octavia Butler, who did some absolutely wild building-a-new-world stuff.  If you like military stuff (but not that blood and guts gritty) I'd suggest either C. J. Cherryh or Tanya Huff (the Valor series).

If the question is military, I'd go for any Warhammer 40k novles (surprise there ;D ). But they actually are good sci-fi, especially Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain-series, Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts or the Horus Heresy-series that is more akin to a massive collaboration project between multiple well known 40k authors. There's also a collection of short stories called "Tales from the Heresy", which include an interesting story called "The last church", where the Emperor visits the last church left on Earth in the closing days of the unification wars (the wars where the Emperor first united our solar system before launching the Great Crusade to re-conquer the rest of the galaxy for Mankind)

I also love the Space Wolf-series , especially the first three books by William King. The list could go on, but those are some of the series that I've actaully read and love. There's also a lot of single novels, like 15 Hours, or collections of single novels like the Imperial Guard series.

Out of these, my absolute favorite is Caiphas. He is just such a lovable scoundrel of a character, who has no illusions of his state, but always ends up as a "hero", as those around him mistake his bad luck of always finding trouble as sings of courage and wit. And of course, the ever reliable Jurgen, who get's to do all the paper work and his interesting little gift that get's these two out of trouble more then once...and I'm not talking about the meltagun that he usually carries around...

The story style is also interesting, as they are from his own personal perspective, with some footnotes by a certain editor..but very readable and enjoyable.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Asmodean

C. J. Cherryh
I remember reading Dreamstone (I think it was called) as a little kid and liking it quite a bit.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Well I realised that I hadn't read any science fiction novels since being a kid so I'm not sure really, back then they were "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", "1984", "The Time Machine", and the "War of the Worlds" with the last being my favorite by far. Some of my favorite writers are Haruki Murakami, Christopher Isherwood, Franz Kafka, and Richard Yates so that might give you an idea of the kind of books I normally go for, As you might be able to tell I like ccharacter driven stories rather than event driven stories. But people have given so many recommendations I will have to have a quick peek at the blurbs for all those that have been recommended so far.
Retired member.

joeactor

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 29, 2012, 08:45:52 PM

I really enjoyed the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card.

+1 to that - very good series.  First book was the best, IMHO.

I also like Greg Bear's work, and Gregory Beneford.

Might also check out the "Humans", "Hominids", "Hybrids" series.

... and, I just finished reading the second of a trilogy: "Heaven's War" for an audio book.
It'll be out in June or July, but the first one "Heaven's Shadow" is already out (book, e-book and audio book).

Squid

I just finished reading Field & Stream: Ultimate Outdoorsman Manual and just started Bug Out by Scott B. Williams.

The Field & Stream book had a bunch of really interesting tips.  For me it was a great help to learn more about practices I never really got into like fishing and hiking.

technolud

Listening to Uncle Tom's Cabin on audio book (seems like cheating) but I've been driving a lot lately.

Awesome book.  Apparently Abraham Lincoln met Harriet Beecher Stow and said to her:  "So you are  the women who started the civil war" .

Life is too short to learn all there is to learn.

Amicale

Quote from: technolud on May 08, 2012, 11:51:21 PM
Listening to Uncle Tom's Cabin on audio book (seems like cheating) but I've been driving a lot lately.

Awesome book.  Apparently Abraham Lincoln met Harriet Beecher Stow and said to her:  "So your the women who started the civil war" .

Life is too short to learn all there is to learn.

It's for this reason, if no other, that I wish we had the ability to try several different lives, from different perspectives. :)

Maybe that's why I love reading so much. In a way, it does give us that ability.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on May 11, 2012, 07:55:47 PM
I just started Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov because I really needed some light summer reading.

Please don't write things like that when I have a mouthful of tea.  Altho my keyboard did need cleaning anyway.
Sandy

joeactor

Quote from: RunFromMyLife on May 11, 2012, 07:55:47 PM
I just started Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov because I really needed some light summer reading.

... I prefer the flying version ...