News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Gulf Oil Dispersants

Started by Tank, July 22, 2010, 07:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Gulf Oil Dispersants Unlikely to Be Endocrine Disruptors and Have Relatively Low Cell Toxicity, Tests Find

QuoteScienceDaily (July 21, 2010) â€" Government scientists are reporting that eight of the most commonly used oil dispersants used to fight oil spills, such as the massive episode in the Gulf of Mexico, appear unlikely to act as endocrine disruptors -- hormone-like substances that can interfere with reproduction, development, and other biological processes...

A small light at the end of a very long dark tunnel.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Thumpalumpacus

If I understand, these dispersants are essentially surfactants, no?
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tank

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"If I understand, these dispersants are essentially surfactants, no?
I think that is the case. But I'm no chemist.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KDbeads

Pretty much all surfactants from what I can remember.  There were a couple of studies done a while back that basically said they were harmless as well but no one paid any attention to them.  I can't seem to locate info on them either.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams