News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Forgiving the Franklins

Started by Businessocks, July 09, 2010, 03:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Businessocks

Has anyone else seen this movie?  The thread about civil bigotry got me thinking about it again.  It's a bit too drawn out in places, but overall, I think it's a great examination of sexual hang-ups on Christianity and how the concept of original sin can really affect everything believers do.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on the movie.  Anyone?   :pop:
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sophus

I've never heard of it but if Netflix has it I shall surely watch it.  :hail:
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Businessocks

Quote from: "Sophus"I've never heard of it but if Netflix has it I shall surely watch it.  :bananacolor:
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sophus

Okay, I finally got around to watching this movie. I think it's great. That Allen Ginsberg type of liberation is important but it's not only being ignored by the religious. A lot of people in America are made very uncomfortable by it. Interestingly the Bible isn't all that against what this movie is advocating (not including its classification of homosexuality as a sin; of course, that's Biblically accurate). Is the director a Christian? Most of what qualifies as one of modern Christianity's sexual sins comes from the dogma of Saint Augustine, which was used for more political reasons than anything else. Unfortunately, the meme survived into modernity. I've never really put much thought into how the shaming of sexuality can cause harm amongst society but I think this movie, although bizarre fiction, does a good job of confronting it. Society is insane.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver