News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The questions every individual should be able to answer.

Started by KebertX, June 27, 2010, 06:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilchardo

I'll bear that in mind, ie I'll try not to go on about my beliefs out of the blue. But if anyone asks me about them or starts a thread where it's clear that they're inviting people to talk about their philosophical position or their beliefs, I guess it's ok to mention them. I'll just be sure to make it clear again that they're beliefs, not claims.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "pilchardo"I'll bear that in mind, ie I'll try not to go on about my beliefs out of the blue. But if anyone asks me about them or starts a thread where it's clear that they're inviting people to talk about their philosophical position or their beliefs, I guess it's ok to mention them. I'll just be sure to make it clear again that they're beliefs, not claims.

You should also take heed that beliefs are not exempt from scrutiny.

pilchardo

Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "pilchardo"I'll bear that in mind, ie I'll try not to go on about my beliefs out of the blue. But if anyone asks me about them or starts a thread where it's clear that they're inviting people to talk about their philosophical position or their beliefs, I guess it's ok to mention them. I'll just be sure to make it clear again that they're beliefs, not claims.

You should also take heed that beliefs are not exempt from scrutiny.

Yes I understand that. I just wanted to be clear on the "rules" about talking about beliefs. If I want to talk about my beliefs I'll be sure to clarify, that way there won't be any more confusion. If you wish to scrutinise my beliefs you can of course do that, for yourself. However the last thing I'd want is for anybody to try and preach at or convert anybody else.

Whitney

Quote from: "pilchardo"Yes I understand that. I just wanted to be clear on the "rules" about talking about beliefs. If I want to talk about my beliefs I'll be sure to clarify, that way there won't be any more confusion. If you wish to scrutinise my beliefs you can of course do that, for yourself. However the last thing I'd want is for anybody to try and preach at or convert anybody else.

What you are not understanding is that HAF has the no preaching rule to encourage discussion/debate...it would be okay from time to time to just mention your beliefs then admit that you can't possibly have a reason for having such beliefs (why in the world you'd want to claim a belief you can't explain is beyond me).

If you just want a place where you can comment then not expect to have to ever explain your views, this isn't it.

pilchardo

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "pilchardo"Yes I understand that. I just wanted to be clear on the "rules" about talking about beliefs. If I want to talk about my beliefs I'll be sure to clarify, that way there won't be any more confusion. If you wish to scrutinise my beliefs you can of course do that, for yourself. However the last thing I'd want is for anybody to try and preach at or convert anybody else.

What you are not understanding is that HAF has the no preaching rule to encourage discussion/debate...it would be okay from time to time to just mention your beliefs then admit that you can't possibly have a reason for having such beliefs (why in the world you'd want to claim a belief you can't explain is beyond me).

If you just want a place where you can comment then not expect to have to ever explain your views, this isn't it.

I never said I did.

pilchardo

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "Pilchardo"Women and men are different and so often it's appropriate to be treated differently.
Black people and white people are different too, so I could just as easily make the claim that it's often appropriate for blacks to be treated differently than whites.

That's your prerogative.

Tank

Quote from: "pilchardo"
Quote from: "Pilchardo"Women and men are different and so often it's appropriate to be treated differently.
Black people and white people are different too, so I could just as easily make the claim that it's often appropriate for blacks to be treated differently than whites.

That's your prerogative.
I think your irony detector has malfunctioned. LS is illustrating that it is as inappropriate to be sexist as it is to be racist.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pilchardo

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "pilchardo"The irony being that I was being neither.
Why, exactly, is it okay to treat women and men differently but not whites and blacks differently? Care to explain?

Tank

:hmm:  I was not saying you were. I was just pointing out that LS wasn't either.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

pilchardo

Why, exactly, is it okay to treat women and men differently but not whites and blacks differently? Care to explain?

Start a thread about that and I'll answer your question there. Unless you want to derail this thread too.

LegendarySandwich