News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Arizona's Illegal Immigration Law

Started by Sophus, June 03, 2010, 12:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"When I went to Spain, I learned the language (or at least tried); I didn't expect them to cater to me and my English.

It irks me that I have neighbors who still speak Spanish to me even though they've been here for a couple of years.  While I understand the difficulties of learning a new language, it seems to me that when one moves to another country, learning the language should be a priority anyway.
I'm curious, what do you mean by "went to Spain". Living there temporarily or just a visit. When I went on a cruise to Mexico I never once had to speak a word of English. Everyone who works with tourists learns the language.

I was stationed there when in the Air Force.  I knew I'd be leaving, but I didn't know when I'd be leaving (I was deployed for the first Gulf War).   I was in Moron de la Frontera, about 90 mi NE of Rota, and thus not a tourist area.  Many Spaniards, however, knew a decent amount of English from their public education.

Also, did you mean to write "...to Mexico I never once had to speak a word of Spanish"?  It makes more sense to me that way.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "pinkocommie"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"When I went to Spain, I learned the language (or at least tried); I didn't expect them to cater to me and my English.

It irks me that I have neighbors who still speak Spanish to me even though they've been here for a couple of years.  While I understand the difficulties of learning a new language, it seems to me that when one moves to another country, learning the language should be a priority anyway.

I agree, that is annoying.  I feel like people who come to the country, stay, and seem to have little desire to try to learn the language are aggravating, but it still doesn't bother me when there are language options on call menus.  The former seems like a legitimate issue while the latter seems silly.

Agreed.  It's not reasonable to expect their fluency on Day One, and to be honest, I don't mind if they never manage to get too much English under their belts; I just appreciate the effort when it's made, and am annoyed when it isn't.

PoopShoot

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind the language options on private corporation phone lines/websites if I didn't have to find my wife's paperwork in her won language at the social security office.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Sophus

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Agreed.  It's not reasonable to expect their fluency on Day One, and to be honest, I don't mind if they never manage to get too much English under their belts; I just appreciate the effort when it's made, and am annoyed when it isn't.
Mmmm..... I dunno, they could be a refugee.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Agreed.  It's not reasonable to expect their fluency on Day One, and to be honest, I don't mind if they never manage to get too much English under their belts; I just appreciate the effort when it's made, and am annoyed when it isn't.
Mmmm..... I dunno, they could be a refugee.

Yes, as I indicated above, I can understand circumstances might prevent knowing the language for a bit.  But once you've settled here, I'd like to see a little effort at integrating, and I don't see that being a refugee changes the ability to do so.

PoopShoot

I once met a girl who had the ability to say about four phrases in English.  I was on a satellite installation job.  I called the office looking for a translator and had no problem doing so, not even a little annoyance.  Why?  Because she sat there studying her English book while I worked.  Not speaking English is one thing, not bothering to try is another.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Sophus

How does one state garner so much hate?

Quote from: "HuffPo"An Arizona anti-illegal immigration activist was convicted on Monday of killing two Latinos during a 2009 raid: nine-year-old Brisenia Flores and her father, Raul Flores. The killer, Shawna Forde, is a member of the Minutemen, which patrols the southern border vigilante-style to detect illegal entry into the country.

Although the shootings were never classified as a hate crime, Latino groups argue the murders reflect growing anti-immigrant sentiment within the United States. The details are chilling: Forde and two others entered the Flores home, allegedly looking for a million-dollar drug stash that never materialized, and shot both of Brisenia Flores' parents before turning the gun on the child.

As her mother played dead, Brisenia Flores said, "Please don't shoot me," before being shot twice in the head.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

karadan

Quote from: "Sophus"How does one state garner so much hate?

Quote from: "HuffPo"An Arizona anti-illegal immigration activist was convicted on Monday of killing two Latinos during a 2009 raid: nine-year-old Brisenia Flores and her father, Raul Flores. The killer, Shawna Forde, is a member of the Minutemen, which patrols the southern border vigilante-style to detect illegal entry into the country.

Although the shootings were never classified as a hate crime, Latino groups argue the murders reflect growing anti-immigrant sentiment within the United States. The details are chilling: Forde and two others entered the Flores home, allegedly looking for a million-dollar drug stash that never materialized, and shot both of Brisenia Flores' parents before turning the gun on the child.

As her mother played dead, Brisenia Flores said, "Please don't shoot me," before being shot twice in the head.

That is so fucked up.  :shake:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.