News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Why am I still irrational/supersticious? Need some help :(

Started by jimmorrisonbabe, May 19, 2010, 08:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJackel

Ok, for fun I will provide an example of my own Birth.. I was born on the same day and to which the Fiske Planetarium was dedicated on.. It opened it's doors the next day to the public at 10am with it's amazing laser shows to which are fixed to the classics of Pink Floyd :).. How FN awesome is that?

http://fiske.colorado.edu/history.php
QuoteFiske Planetarium was dedicated on September 19, 1975, and opened its doors to the public the next day with "Stardeath", an original show about supernovae written by Verschuur, and "Quaking Aspens", a visual program by CU Fine Arts Faculty Gary Metz.

jimmorrisonbabe

Quote from: "The Black Jester"
Quote from: "jimmorrisonbabe"Btw, I'm actually surprised at how many of you have saught help yourselves... do you mind me asking why or is that personal?

I imagine this is the type of thing that most would prefer not to disclose on a public forum, but I don't mind.  I'll jump in and pipe up.  

I should probably disclose that I was raised by therapists, who were, despite what you might suppose, excellent parents.  So I may be biased.

However, like you, I suffered from a kind of hyper-active pattern recognition, and attributed significance to accidentally coincident phenomena all the time.  I am convinced it contributed to my religious obsession when I was younger.  There is documentation in the literature on OCD regarding obsessions with religious thought and superstitious thinking.  So I second the advice that you seek help, if this is interfering in your quality of life.

That's interesting to know, Black Jester :).. How FN awesome is that? [/quote]

That is AWESOME Jackel! I lovelovelove Pink Floyd! And astronomy!  :hail: