News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Where were you on 9/11?

Started by Tank, May 11, 2010, 09:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i_am_i

I was in a pub in England. There was a wide-screen television there showing the twin towers and as I sat down with my pint the bartender said that a plane had flown into one of the World Trade Center buildings. At first we thought some horrible accident had taken place, and then I saw the second plane hit.

I remember that I jumped up and started shouting. To be overseas when a thing like that happened, it was maddening. I was supposed to fly out a few days later but I had to stay in England for over a week before I could leave.

The day after the attack American flags were to be seen all over London.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Squid

I was sleeping on my parent's couch (Cuero, Texas).  I was visiting them and had stayed the night.  I remember my sister coming into the living room saying "Someone just flew a plane into the World Trade Center!"  Then I remember watching the news most of the day.  My father later heard from an old friend of his who was an ER doctor at a close by hospital - he didn't sleep for nearly two days.

Beast

I was a freshman in high school and I had my TV set to turn on in the morning as my alarm. I always had it set to the news so I could watch it while I got ready in the morning. I remember just as I was waking I looked at the TV in time to see the 2nd plane hit. I didn't quite understand what had happened for the next minute or 2 I just sat there trying to understand it. Once I realized what was going on I ran into my parents room and turned their TV on to tell them what had happened.

I was in Air Force JROTC so I put my uniform on for inspection that day and went to school. Every class we watched the news.
-Kevin
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

andreasoverland

I am an IT consultant, working with web development. The customer I was working for at the time had offices in across the road from a apartment block, in Oslo, Norway. In the apartment on the same level as our office, a group of east european strippers were living. They could se us sitting working on our computers, and they routinely teased us by passing their windows without any clothes. Anyway, when the first plane hit, one of my friends notified me on the IRC channel we were both on, and then a second later, the guy sitting next to me said the same thing. I pictured a little Cessna and a silly accident, but when the second plane hit we all got pretty nervous. If this was an attack, would Bush go completely mad and start a "new-kular" war? I called my dad, who's birthday is on this date. He was out playing golf, and had heard the news already.We spent the rest of the day trying to work while still trying to get as much information about the events as possible. A few days later, Norway (and I guess the rest of the world), stopped for a minute of silence for the victims. We went out on a balcony, facing the apartment block, and had a quiet undisturbed minute, which felt meaningful.
Andreas Øverland, Norway
www.andreasoverland.no
--
"I choose to believe what I was programmed to believe!" Old Superstitious Robot, Futurama 2:18

karadan

I was at work in the office when someone came round saying a passenger jet had hit one of the towers. None of the news websites would work so i went to the local supermarket and stood and watched the bank of TV's there for a few hours. I got there just after the second plane hit so was greeted with the image of that enormous fireball. Initially i thought someone was playing a joke and they had a movie playing.  :sigh:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

curiosityandthecat

Saw it happen on a television in a little store/diner I stopped at to buy cigarettes on my way home from a comparative religion class. The topic that day was Islam.

:|
-Curio

Cecilie

I was only 8 years old at that time, so I don't remember where I was at that time exactly. But I remember we heard about it in school the next day. I was too young to understand how serious it was.
The world's what you create.

mama_ape

I was at my then boyfriend's house (now husband) we were sleeping and his buddy woke us up by pounding on the door.  They were both in the Army reserves and it was pretty intense once we saw the second plane hit and realized it wasn't an accident.  We lived in a tiny town so of course they were thinking of Patrick Swayze in Red Dawn.  It's weird because one of the things I remember the most is that we had never talked to his neighbors once in the 6-7 months that they had lived there but we stood watching his television in silence because our t.v. was broken.
So you can give your heart to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Corps! Do you ladies understand?

Asmodean

At school, I think. Having like... Math.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

kelltrill

Some hectic stories here.
Seems like Tank and I were in the same country at the time. In fact, Tank, you were quite near to where I live at the moment.
I was in Mosselbay in the Western Cape I think. High school. My parents were going through a divorce at the time so I don't think I was too assed about foreign affairs. I still remember watching when the second plane hit though. It was a vicious break from my reality of watching things like that on movies and suddenly have to reconcile such horrible images with what was actually happening at that exact moment. I think I was 14 at time.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

KDbeads

Chicago, 103rd st, in my lab trying to de-engineer and new package from our competitor.   Was listening to 101.9 when Eric came on with the announcement that a plane had hit one of the trade towers.  Radios were turned on all over the plant immediately.
We finally found an old TV that got a station and watched as the towers collapsed.  Most of downtown Chicago was evacuated, our boss said we were staying since we were literally on the edge of the city limits next to the landfill.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

KDbeads

Now that is so totally weird..... I posted that at least a week ago and it just now showed up  :hmm:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Cecilie

Quote from: "KDbeads"Now that is so totally weird..... I posted that at least a week ago and it just now showed up  :hmm:
That is weird, 'cause I think I read that a while (a week) ago.
The world's what you create.

Tank

I bumped the thread. The mechanism may be to make the last post 'unread' thus pushing the thread back up to the top of the 'new post' files. Good news you may not be going mad!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KDbeads

Oh good.... with all this veggie prepping and egg peeling I thought I was seeing things for a minute.....