Main Menu

Lawsuit: child forbidden to wear Jesus costume on Halloween

Started by imrational, February 25, 2007, 08:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imrational

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16757500.htm
QuoteGlenside school sued over forbidding Jesus costume
Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA - A 10-year-old boy who said he was not allowed to wear a Jesus costume during his school's Halloween activities sued the district, alleging that his religious and free-speech rights were violated.

The complaint, filed in federal court Tuesday, says officials at Willow Hill Elementary School in Glenside told the boy Oct. 31 that he could not wear his faux crown of thorns or tell others he was dressed as Jesus.

The principal, Patricia Whitmire, told the boy's mother that the costume violated a policy prohibiting the promotion of religion, according to the lawsuit. Whitmire suggested that the fourth-grader, whose costume also included a robe, identify himself as a Roman emperor, the suit states.

While the boy's costume was rejected because of its religious nature, the principal allowed other students to dress up as witches and devils, according to the lawsuit.

Whitmire and the Abington School District, in suburban Philadelphia, are named as defendants. District attorney Ken Roos, who had not yet seen the suit Wednesday, said Abington officials "feel like we've been a little bit ambushed here."

The boy, who is not identified because of his age, and his mother are Christians who object to the pagan elements of Halloween. At the same time, the suit states, the boy's mother did not want him isolated for refusing to wear a costume.

Willow Hill officials required students to wear a costume on Halloween to participate in a parade and party; those who did not were sent to the computer room, the suit says.

The suit was filed on behalf of the boy and his mother by the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian legal group based in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The boy no longer attends Willow Hill.

After reading up on the story more, the school is denying that they forbade the kid.  They are saying that they just asked for a little time to check the legality of it.

I posted a video about this on youtube.  There is a deeper issue here.  A bill trying to curtail separation of church/state lawsuits passed the House last year and is going before the Senate.  If it passes, it may affect this lawsuit (and others).

My video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkR4wmAAhAg

Big Mac

Fuck that kid, him and his mom only did that because they wanted this attention. They make me almost as sick as Michael Newdow and his freakshow. I will laugh at them both in hell!! Bwahahahaha.

In other words, fuck those people, fuck them up their stupid asses.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Tom62

I'm not so familiar with Halloween (apart from the Halloween horror movies) , so please forgive my ignorance. Aren't children at Halloween supposed to wear costumes to scare other people off? The jebus costume seems to be very appropiate in that context.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

SteveS

Hmm.  My feelings:

Mom objecting to pagan elements of Halloween: ridiculous

Child dressed as Jesus for Halloween: hilarious

Senate Bill: frightening

I liked your YouTube video.  The irony of the situation is priceless.

Steve

Byrath

My opinion on the lawsuit depends on who is telling the truth, so there isn't much I can say about that.
As to the Senate bill, yeah, that is sad, and quite blatant in its intention. Theocracy is on the march, and most Democrats have zero intention of stopping it. God bless America, indeed.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Byrath"My opinion on the lawsuit depends on who is telling the truth...

Truth?  What's that?  

:)