News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Animal sacrifices alive and well in the US

Started by MrE2Me, February 02, 2007, 04:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrE2Me

I just read this short article in the latest Newsweek today.  I'm so incredibly naive about the religions here (and elsewhere) that these stories actually surprise me.  I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember, but I never went out of my way to learn what exactly was going on around me in the name of religion.  I'm doing my best to make up for that now.

I realize that chickens (and cows, and pigs, etc) are slaughtered all the time for other reasons, but somehow the idea of killing a living thing for the sole purpose of appeasing a god (or whatever the exact religious explanation is) seems more disturbing.  Couldn't anyone strangle a dog to death and claim it's a vital part of their personal religion, if these other activities are legal?  Even if there are technical reasons why one is legal and the other isn't, they're equally insane and inhumane in my book.  I also think that if it wasn't farm animals who are the most common victims - imagine cats and dogs, for example - there would be more backlash against it.
[size=92]I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts[/size]

ImpaledSkier

it makes you wonder what happened back in the day to originate the slaughter of animals to appease the gods. Was some shamanistic guy just angry at certain creatures and wanted to be rid of them? Was one accidently "slaughtered" and then a bountiful crop of rice randomly happened at the same time? hmm...
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas

Will

The idea is that life was the greatest gift from god. So waht do you give to the god that has everything? You give him/her/it life back.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

ImpaledSkier

QuoteThe idea is that life was the greatest gift from god. So waht do you give to the god that has everything? You give him/her/it life back.

then it makes sense to commit suicide
"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die, it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive. So live for the moment." -The Spill Canvas

brainshmain

Quote from: "ImpaledSkier"
QuoteThe idea is that life was the greatest gift from god. So waht do you give to the god that has everything? You give him/her/it life back.

then it makes sense to commit suicide

Well, they did do that with human sacrifices, but humans, being the selfish creates they are, chose to slaughter non-humans over humans because it's easier on their conscience.  Killing anything in the name of religion is ridiculous and unneccesary.

Big Mac

Hey but hamburgers are nice.

I prefer the religions where you have tons of sex to honor the fertility god.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

brainshmain

Quote from: "Big Mac"Hey but hamburgers are nice.

Speak for yourself! Yuck :x

donkeyhoty

No, he's right, hamburgers, especially with bacon, are Delicious
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Tom62

I agree with BigMac and Donkeyhoty. Hamburgers are great! My favourite one got a slice of pineapple and cheese on top.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein