News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

D.C. Holocaust Museum Shooting

Started by Whitney, June 10, 2009, 08:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

QuoteD.C. Holocaust Museum Shooting Wounds 2

A gunman exchanged fire with security guards inside the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum on Wednesday.

U.S. Park Police Sgt. David Schlosser said the gunman walked into the museum with what he described as a "long gun." The gunman and a security guard were shot. Both were taken to the hospital, but the extent of their injuries wasn't immediately known.

U.S. Park Police initially gave slightly different information, saying three people had been shot. Fire department spokesman Alan Etter told CNN a third person was hurt after being cut by broken glass. Several witnesses said they saw the security guard on the floor and bleeding.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 09,00.html

QuoteIsrael condemns shooting at U.S. Holocaust Museum in D.C.

Israel has condemned the shooting at the U.S. Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. on Wednesday.

"We are shocked and saddened by today's shooting incident at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington," Jonathan Peled, who is a spokesman for the Embassy of Israel in D.C., told BNO News.

"The Embassy of Israel condemns this attack and is closely following the situation," Peled added. The Israeli minister is currently visiting Washington but was not at the museum.

http://adjix.com/qtjn

I hope the actions of one crazy person don't get blown out of proportion into an international uproar.

Will

I hope the people injured are okay. Do we know if the motivations were anti-Semitic?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Quote from: "Will"I hope the people injured are okay. Do we know if the motivations were anti-Semitic?

I haven't yet read anything about if they are okay or if the shooter's intentions were anti-Semitic.  I'm glad the security guard was successful in controlling the gunman before he could harm anyone else.  I don't feel that sorry for the gunman getting injured but I do hope the security guard has a full and quick recovery.

Will

Israel's response seems a bit inappropriate. Of course they condemn the attack, everyone does, but what's with the "The Embassy of Israel ... is closely following the situation" thing? It stinks of politics.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Well, sadly the security guard didn't survive and the shooter, not surprisingly, was racist.

QuoteCNN has just broke the news that a guard shot earlier today in a shooting at the National Holocaust Memorial in Washington has died. CNN is also saying that the Suspect is an 88 year old man named James Von Brunn, a white supremacist and a racist.

http://www.thegayatheist.com/2009/06/ho ... -dead.html

There is a MSNBC video embedded in the above link.

curiosityandthecat

So, uh, what was this guy trying to accomplish? I mean, what's the message?  :raised:
-Curio

VietnamVet-BRIGHT

The type of hatred for Jews played out in this incident is of the same genre as is found within the KKK.  This hatred has its roots in the New Testament and explicated through anti-Semitic theology such as that produced by Martin Luther, ie "The Jews and their Lies."

This deadly attack needs to be categorized as a terrorism.

Jolly Sapper

von Brunn had a bit of a history..

From crooksandliars.com.
Quote from: "CrooksandLiars"We're learning more and more about the man who walked into the Holocaust Museum in D.C. this morning and opened fire on a guard.

First, more personal details from MSNBC:

Law enforcement officials identified the suspect as James Wenneker von Brunn, 88, from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, NBC News reported. NBC said he may have had connections to hate groups or anti-government groups.

... Von Brunn is believed to have had contact with law enforcement in the past, according to NBC. A D.C. Superior Court jury convicted a man by the same name in 1983 of attempting to kidnap members of the Federal Reserve Board.

The case involved a 1981 incident in which police arrested Von Brunn at the board's headquarters carrying several weapons. He was convicted and later released from federal prison in 1989, records show.

Tanker

Wow. Religious intoleance and violence in a place specificly designed to show the dangers of religious intolerance and violence. What a horrible irony.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Jolly Sapper

Oh it gets even better...  All of those right-leaning folks that got pissy over the DHS report talking about the danger posed by violent right-wing groups are now having to try desperately to defend themselves... by, well.. just read:

Beck and Goldberg team up to claim that James von Brunn was a left-winger

Quote from: "CrooksandLiars.com"Last night, Glenn Beck and Jonah Goldberg tried an exercise similar to Rush Limbaugh's, in which they tried to construct a plausible argument that James von Brunn, the Holocaust Museum shooter, was actually a "figure of the left."

They ran through the same list: He hated Bush, he hated "neocons," may have targeted the neocon Weekly Standard too, and most of all, he hated Jews.

Somehow omitted: He also hated black people, and he especially hated Obama because he believed he was controlled by Jews. (See the note he left behind.) He also hated the Federal Reserve, taxes, the United Nations, the federal government generically, admired Hitler, urged the reciminalization of miscegenation laws, and promoted The Protocols of the Seven Elders of Zion as fact. He worked at one time for Willis Carto's right-wing publishing house, Noontide Press, and used to sell copies of Carto's house organ The Spotlight.