News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Glad to see all of you

Started by Mocha Chief, January 30, 2012, 08:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mocha Chief

Hello everyone. My name is Logan Franklin. I am 17 years old and finishing my Junior year in Highschool. As you can tell from me joining the site, I am an Atheist. However, I wasn't always one. I used to be a Baptist. My whole family was Baptist. I guess that what first made me choice Atheism was that my parents forced the religion onto me. I never wanted to go to church, but every Sunday they made me (while they stayed home. Hypocrites...). Then a few years ago, we all got Baptized (It made no difference to me. My family was doing it, so I did it also). After that I was a believer for awhile, but I always wondered, "How can something like God exist while we sit down here and suffer. Why does he allow his children to be put on the streets when they don't deserve it, and allow young children to die daily?" It was always in the back of my mind, I just never payed it much attention. Then last year alot of bad things seemed to happen at the same time, including the first girl I ever thought I loved breaking up with me (I know, I'm just a kid, don't know what love is) and the sad part is that that really is what finally made me say to hell with it all. I became an Atheist. I began to see the world in a whole new light. I began to truly see reality. I'm glad I chose this. However, being in a school full of Christians you can believe I catch alot of hell on a daily basis. I don't deny my religious point of view, but I don't broadcast it either, ya know? But that really doesn't matter in highschool. But that is why I looked for a website that welcomed Atheist, and I came across this one. So that's basically it. If you want to ask or know something else, ask.

Tank

Hi Logan

I feel for the loss of your first love. I remember mine well (36 years ago) and when it ends it hurts, lots. You share a motivation to become an atheist with Charles Darwin. He grew up a creationist Christian. The last straw for him was the death of his first child Anne. After that he never attended church. He would go to church with his family on Sunday but sit outside.

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Hello Mocha Chief, welcome.
I'm not sure it's wise to put your name there for all to see.

Mocha Chief

Tank: Yeah it really did suck. The thing is that I was the douche and ended up making her leave. So knowing that makes it worse lol. But i never did know that about Charles Darwin. That is a very interesting thing to know.

Magic Pudding: Yeah I know what you mean, but I don't worry too much. There are thousands of Logan Franklin's out there, and it isn't my actual name. It's just what people call me lol XD

Thank you both for the welcoming XD!

Asmodean

Welcome, younger version of a military-minded Asmo!  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Too Few Lions

welcome to the forum Mocha Chief, I hope you enjoy it here.

Amicale

Welcome Mocha, glad to meet you. Hope you have a good time here. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Crocoduck

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Ali

Welcome Logan.  I'm sorry that you had a rough year last year.  Losing your first love is truly awful.  Don't let anyone minimize it for you. 

In the meantime, welcome again, and I hope you like it here.  :)

Mocha Chief

Thank all of you for the welcome XD I know I'll like it here!

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Welcome Mocha! I feel your pain with the baptists.  I have been surrounded by them for the past 8 months.  I thought that Christians pushed their beliefs on other people equally.  I was wrong.  Very wrong.  Baptists will push their beliefs on you like no other.  They always have invitations for being saved and baptized.  And were I am they actually tell you at the invitation that you can be saved already and go ahead and get baptized or saved again.  They say if you just want to "check it".  I guess checking your saved status is as easy as checking your facebook these days.  I have actually seen somebody get saved 4 times in one day.  Ridiculous.  Not to mention the I just want to thank god for waking me up this morning. Really? I'm pretty sure your body was just telling you it's time to get up, but yeah ok. 
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Asmodean

Quote from: sosyb on February 08, 2012, 01:47:45 PM
What's up mates, pleasant piece of writing and good arguments commented here, I am really enjoying by these.
This here is the Mini Asmo's thread. Get your own!  >:(

:P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Xiilent

Welcome. Your story sounds a lot like mine. Glad that there's other free thinking high schoolers like me. It is hard to be an open atheist in an area where christianity is prominent. My best friend is even christian, but if I ever try to confront him with a religious topic he tries to avoid it at all costs (I like to believe it's because he knows i can retort anything he says with logic or evidence xD).