News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Playing God and genetic tinkering

Started by Siz, November 08, 2011, 10:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

All,

I'm interested to know what your thoughts are on the notion of 'playing God' with genetics. Does it concern you that humans are able to tinker with the very essence of life on our planet? Should we be free to manipulate DNA for our own gain (or even just curiosity)?

As a starter, I'll give you my thoughts, FWIW.

I do not have a problem with genetic engineering per se. I see it as a useful tool, like any other scientific knowledge that we have gained. It is a matter for our own conscience whether or not we choose to take advantage of that knowledge. Should we not 'play god' just because it is seen as negative tinkering with nature? So what?

My own morals would discourage me from supporting any activity that would see any creature in pain. But, that said, I have no problem with experimental tinkering for the science of it. Can you give me a valid reason why not if we could be assured of no imposed mental or physical pain?

I understand the argument that one could unbalance the natural order of life on Earth, and that some experiments may have some uncontrollable and disastrous consequenses. Yes, this is a possibility - and definitely a worry. But in a hypothetical 'safe' environment (like, maybe, within an isolated space station or Lunar laboratory) the genetic possibilities are endless.

The ultimate benefits of this unrestricted genetic manipulation have been conjectured and explored by Sci-fi authors (notably Arthur C Clarke and Ian M Banks to my first hand knowledge). Our fantastic advances in technology can be no match for potential GM lifeforms. We already have millennia of evolution that has created very efficient machines. Why not take advantage of this engineering? Organic lights. Organic clothing that changes with environment. A sofa that keeps you warm. Etc... etc... This is all a futuristic fantasy, but who's to say that given some years of experimentation that these ideas are not possible. I'm certainly no expert, but I do propose that given the knowledge, DNA could be manipulated to manufacture anything we could imagine from combinations of characteristics within any existing creatures and plants. No fossil-fuels. No depleting natural metals/minerals. Endless possibilities.

Maybe this is the way forward. Maybe evolution should take a more 'designed' course. Maybe natural evolution is not enough to keep us alive on this planet, given that we have already unleashed detrimental unnatural technology onto the Earth.

In any case why not 'play god'? If we can, we should. Otherwise it's a wasted opportunity.

What do you think?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Asmodean

I think genetic engineering is vastly cool, so tinker away with Asmo's blessing  ;D

That said, until the population growth is under strict control, I oppose human cloning due to overpopulation.

After having tinkered enough, it is quite possible that we will break a few food chains and the like and generally mess up the natural order, but as long as we remake it so that it works in the aftermath, we should be ok. Basically, not a problem as long as we are willing to go the distance, not just do for the sake of doing.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Well it's not playing god, it's second guessing evolution  ;D

Genetic engineering is like all tools in that its worth is determined by the motivations and expertise of the people wielding the tool. There is no inherent good or evil in the tool only its user. There are then the sins of omission (ignorance) and the sins of commission (sexual or racial selection) to be considered.

At the moment to my mind the key issue with genetic engineering is we are doing copy and paste of genes. We take the gene from jelly fish and mix it into a mouse and get glowing mice. However what is also evident is that a gene works in concert with other genes in an evolved genome. There is the risk that taking a gene from one organism and inserting it into another could have unforseen consequences. This is a problem if the altered genome is not carefully quarantined until there is a reasonable certainty that the modification is benign. Thus I expect there to be genomic 'disasters' to happen. The real issue is if these 'disasters' get loose into the environment. But this issue is similar to the 'grey ooze' scenario postulated for nano technology.

However the potential rewards in the fields of medicine and agriculture make genetic engineering way too tempting to ignore. While the motivations of greed and fame will only amplify the desires of some to push the boundaries of ethics and safety to there very limits and I would expect beyond.

So the best we can do is regulate and progress as carefully as we can.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

It would be really awesome to have a talking cat or dog. With genetics they might be able to make this happen.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on November 09, 2011, 09:14:11 AM
It would be really awesome to have a talking cat or dog. With genetics they might be able to make this happen.
And what would you do if it said:-

"Kill me you fucking bastards I never wanted this useless body! I was meant to have hands and feet, not paws and claws!"
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

That's the point, Tank.  GM can be to mankind's great advantage, it could also produce results that are dangerous, cruel and horrible.  Going by humankind's track record so far, we'll probably manage to bugger it up.
Trying to stop it happening altogether, to stuff the scientific cat back into the bag, will be as effective as a fart in a thunderstorm given the amount of money there is to be made.  The best we can do is try to control it somewhat.
As for "playing god", I don't know exactly what people mean by that and can't see why the great sky fairy should be dragged into the argument.

Siz

Quote from: OldGit on November 09, 2011, 10:40:38 AM
That's the point, Tank.  GM can be to mankind's great advantage, it could also produce results that are dangerous, cruel and horrible.  Going by humankind's track record so far, we'll probably manage to bugger it up.
Trying to stop it happening altogether, to stuff the scientific cat back into the bag, will be as effective as a fart in a thunderstorm given the amount of money there is to be made.  The best we can do is try to control it somewhat.
As for "playing god", I don't know exactly what people mean by that and can't see why the great sky fairy should be dragged into the argument.

'Playing God' I would take to be an emotive phrase (used here solely for dramatic effect) for tinkering with nature. Stepping on gods' toes is the first argument against GM animals - though I'm not sure why it's acceptable for plants and not for animals under this premise. It's all living, right?!

I'd be interested in a Pantheist view of this...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

The Magic Pudding

The don't play god admonition is so annoying.

Is some geek going to engineer himself some shiny god eyes and sneak into the room of a gullible virgin?

Fiction is always warning us of the evil of trying to enhance intelligence, well blah, why don't you eat a few hundred quasi pork chops Bones Mckoy.
But you have to love the prime directive, don't do anything we might make a mistake, repercussions can't be foreseen so do nothing.

Legislate, regulate be cautious but please spare me the god crap.
Evolution is blind and there is no god.