News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

This is what I believe

Started by cbloore, April 23, 2011, 09:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbloore

When i was a kid, i never really thought about the idea that god didn't exist.  I went to church till i was 4 years old, before my parents stopped being evangelical Christians and my dad became interested in paganism and mythology (which I have an infinite gratitude for).  And I guess I just grew up the next 12 years with the belief in god in the back of my mind.  Never really thought about it.  And when i did it wasn't very deep.  I became fascinated in Egyptian mythology, evolution, world history, philosophy, astronomy, and all sorts of other things, like music and film that enhanced my romantic understanding of the world.  I then began to connect these fascinations with religion when i was 16.  I asked why god created such a huge and vast cosmos he has no use for but for us to gawk at and then create pagan religions from it?  Why are there connections of cosmology and Christianity?  Why is evolution obviously factual to me, but not compatible with the gospel?  Why is there hate from an all loving god?  How can god send us to hell just for not believing in him?   Why did god never contact thousands and thousands of years worth of Native American cultures?  Why did god create suffering and evil, and give us the conscious to be victims of it?  And then it hit me.  There is no Christian god.  He just doesn't exist. It was truly an enlightening moment.  
I don't know if there is a God, or if there isn't one (if it can be described as one) but I do know this: If there is a god, he doesn't want the 'g' to be capitalized, he is moral, and loving, but he is NOT omnipotent.  He is not precisely BECAUSE he is loving and moral. If he was omnipotent he would stop suffering. He might not of even had an intention in creating life in the first place.  god may not even have a conscious.  We will never know, or you know what, maybe we will.  But I will guarantee you this;  gOD IS NOT THE CHRISTIAN GOD.
Well thats me if you wanna know me.

Asmodean

You quad-posted this thread. That's what I believe  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: "Asmodean"You quad-posted this thread. That's what I believe  :D

Welcome to HAF!

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, cbloore.  What? You don't believe that Jesus came to the Amerindians, as taught by the Mormon church?  Amazing. :livelong:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

PapistItalian16

Quote from: cbloore on April 23, 2011, 09:56:04 AM
 But I will guarantee you this;  gOD IS NOT THE CHRISTIAN GOD.
Well thats me if you wanna know me.

Oh really? 

And welcome to HAF!
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

MasonG

Will37

I'll take your word for it.  But if your wrong and I get damned I'm going to be madder than hell (and possibly litigious).
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

Tank

Quote from: Will37 on May 07, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

I'll take your word for it.  But if your wrong and I get damned I'm going to be madder than hell (and possibly litigious).
Well at least you won't have to look far for a lawyer in hell  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Will37

Quote from: Tank on May 07, 2011, 11:53:27 AM

I love it when a plan comes together!
'Out of a great number of suppositions, shrewd in their own way, one in particular emerged at last (one feels strange even mentioning it): whether Chichikov were not Napoleon in disguise'
Nikolai Gogol--> Dead Souls

'Коба, зачем тебе нужна моя смерть?'
Николай Иванович Бухарин-->Letter to Stalin

'Death is not an event in life: we do not live to exp

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 07, 2011, 11:53:27 AM
But I will guarantee you this;  gOD IS NOT THE CHRISTIAN GOD.

LOL
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

thedport

Welcome, lets hope that limbo doesn't exist either I get bored easily.
"An honest person can never surrender an honest doubt. Who doubts nothing knows nothing. The wise are prone to doubt."-The good book;Proverbs;Chapter 55