London 2012: Olympic torch relay street-by-street torch relay routes

Started by Tank, March 19, 2012, 08:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

QuoteThe street-by-street route the London 2012 Olympic torch relay will take around the UK has been set out.

These pdf files contain each day's route along which the Olympic Flame will be carried.

A total of 8,000 torchbearers will take the torch on its 70-day journey which begins in Land's End on 19 May.

The only details not yet issued by London 2012 organisers are the final two days in which the torch visits Westminster before travelling from Hampton Court to the Olympic Park to light the cauldron at the opening ceremony on 27 July.

24th June the torch will end up at Temple Newsam house, about 20 minutes walk from where I live.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Sounds fun!! Some good news for London.

( I was all worried about you London HAF users when the rioting was happening. :( )
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 20, 2012, 05:54:40 AM

( I was all worried about you London HAF users when the rioting was happening. :( )
I wonder how many HAF members live in London? I don't I live in Leeds, 200 miles north of London.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Siz

Quote from: Tank on March 20, 2012, 08:50:34 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 20, 2012, 05:54:40 AM

I wonder how many HAF members live in London? I don't I live in Leeds, 200 miles north of London.

We had the looters and rioters at the retail park 200m up the road from my road (South London). A few of my neighbours were standing at the end of the road trying to ensure they didn't come into our road (cul-de-sac) which they didn't. Sounds like all the kids were just looters with no political motivation - just out for a laugh. There was no violence other than toward the shopfronts. The police, I think, were told to leave them be as they were mostly contained in the non-residential retail area. I was in France at the time watching news online. So, yeah, a bit too close to home for my liking.

Anyway, they haven't released the Olympic Torch route for my local area (last 2 days of torchbearing) - presumably for security reasons, so I'm not sure whether we'll have a chance to see it.

My wife and I pre-applied for over £400 of tickets for Tennis, Track Cycling, Swimming and others. We didn't get any - not even after the second-chance lottery. The kids were pretty disappointed. But we should be able to see the road cycling which goes right past a friends house not too far away. We'll also pop up to the Olympic park for the day en famile to soak up the atmosphere and to be a part of it. They'll have lots of big screens around the place with the sports on for those millions of us who didn't get a ticket. I think it'll be a fun day out.

I hope it all goes well. There's quite a lot of apprehension about how the (already at capacity) transport system will cope. I will certainly be staying away from town for the while (I often have to travel in for work). There's a no-fly-zone imposed so we hopefully wont get Canary Wharf tower flown in to, but who knows what horrors might have been planned in the name of Alah.

Good Luck London Olympic Committee... Good Luck GB squad...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Sorry you didn't get any tickets. All my kids did but they were in some of the more peripheral events like Greco-roman wrestling and badminton.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on March 19, 2012, 08:48:23 AM

QuoteThe street-by-street route the London 2012 Olympic torch relay will take around the UK has been set out.

These pdf files contain each day's route along which the Olympic Flame will be carried.

A total of 8,000 torchbearers will take the torch on its 70-day journey which begins in Land's End on 19 May.

The only details not yet issued by London 2012 organisers are the final two days in which the torch visits Westminster before travelling from Hampton Court to the Olympic Park to light the cauldron at the opening ceremony on 27 July.

24th June the torch will end up at Temple Newsam house, about 20 minutes walk from where I live.

So, will we be seeing your smiling face in the crowd?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Crow

If I still lived in Liverpool it would have gone straight passed my flat, but I will probably go to the Manchester celebration and possibly the Liverpool one as well.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 20, 2012, 02:07:02 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 19, 2012, 08:48:23 AM

So, will we be seeing your smiling face in the crowd?
It's more than likely I'll be behind the camera as usual   ;D

Siz

Ha, I've just found out today that the torch will be running past my road on 23rd July.

Great stuff...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank