News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

House!?!

Started by jcm, April 07, 2009, 01:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcm

just when i was starting to lose interest. wow, what an awesome episode!!!!

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

karadan

I got up to episode 6 of season 2 i think. It isn't that i lost interest, just that life kind of got in the way and i was never able to get back on track with House again.
I should get downloading again. I did really enjoy it.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

curiosityandthecat

Had to watch the episode before I opened this thread...

[spoiler:31u9qz8g]What the fuck?! I haven't had a chance to do any research yet, but I can only imagine that the actor who plays Kutner wanted to leave or something. It's hard to believe that they'd kill off the most likable character of the 3 team members just as a plot device to get House and Cameron in the sack.

asdfjaerlk;jasdf  :brick:

Not that I'd miss next week for anything, but... I can't wait until next week![/spoiler:31u9qz8g]
-Curio

Ihateyoumike

I downloaded it last night, but was too tired to watch it. I'm going to watch it soon. I'm glad no one put spoilers in this thread out in the open though, because I just couldn't resist reading this thread.

This is absolutely one of my top 3 favorite hour long dramas on TV. I hope it never ends. Hugh Laurie is my god. ;)

He watches you, while you're watching him...
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Had to watch the episode before I opened this thread...

[spoiler:3aljscia]What the fuck?! I haven't had a chance to do any research yet, but I can only imagine that the actor who plays Kutner wanted to leave or something. It's hard to believe that they'd kill off the most likable character of the 3 team members just as a plot device to get House and Cameron in the sack.

asdfjaerlk;jasdf  :brick:

Not that I'd miss next week for anything, but... I can't wait until next week![/spoiler:3aljscia]

Curio... here is a spoiler in response to your spoiler.

[spoiler:3aljscia]Kal Penn leaves House for White House[/spoiler:3aljscia]

What an episode. Simply amazing.
Your littlest sin.

curiosityandthecat

Well I'll be damned.

[spoiler:55ledi8e]So what do you think is going to surface as the motivation for Kutner's suicide? And what longterm effect do you think it'll have on House? I'm betting it's not going to be good.  :eek2:[/spoiler:55ledi8e]
-Curio

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Well I'll be damned.

[spoiler:36p1b0kc]So what do you think is going to surface as the motivation for Kutner's suicide? And what longterm effect do you think it'll have on House? I'm betting it's not going to be good.  :eek2:[/spoiler:36p1b0kc]

[spoiler:36p1b0kc]That's an excellent question. I'm not sure I'm completely sold on it being a suicide. Just because they said there was gun residue, and that the guy who killed his parents died in jail a while back, doesn't completely convince me that it was suicide. There's always people on the outside that could've done it, even after Kutner's parents murderer is dead. I'll be interested to see where they go with that.

That being said, I have a feeling it will have ended up being a suicide and they may never give a reason why. I think the writers of this show are clever enough to be able to do that, and use that as a way to show a different side of House we haven't seen yet.

As for the long term effect on House himself, I think it might lead to a few more mental lapses than normal. If he's set on solving the mystery behind Kutner's death (which he is) then you know he won't be able to let go until he gets his mystery solved. Either way, it's going to lead to a lot more trouble in the long run. And a lot more mistakes.

Looking around the internet after the episode to find out why they wrote Kutner's death in right now, I found a lot of people had been fooled into thinking that Kal Penn had committed suicide in real life. That was really an amazing episode, and while last week I was wondering if the show was nearing an end, now I think they are setting up a story arc that may just be one of the best we've seen on this show so far.[/spoiler:36p1b0kc]
Your littlest sin.

curiosityandthecat

[spoiler:1abbg4sd]I think, as far as the show is concerned, it was suicide. Why? Because of the "suicide help" PSA at the end of the episode. Then again, that could be another red herring. The fiance and I both think that it's a ruse (well, a plot device to make his leaving believable and a way to just cause turmoil in the "house"  :crazy:[/spoiler:1abbg4sd]
-Curio

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Then again, maybe I think about this too much.

You and me both. :)
That's the great thing about this show, it doesn't just hold your hand throughout or sugarcoat everything, it makes you think. One of the best groups of writers to ever  work on a show, IMHO.
Your littlest sin.

PipeBox

OK, everyone, do I need background beyond the first couple seasons to watch this episode?  I've greatly enjoyed it, just haven't had time to keep up, but this episode sounds phenomenal.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "PipeBox"OK, everyone, do I need background beyond the first couple seasons to watch this episode?  I've greatly enjoyed it, just haven't had time to keep up, but this episode sounds phenomenal.
You mean you've only seen the first couple seasons? You don't need to have seen seasons 4 and 5 (up to now) to watch it... though it would make it that much more intense if you did. Can't wait for next week.  :eek:
-Curio

SallyMutant

Permission to shout "Yah Boo" really  loudly , sir!
Didn't anyone in the U.S. relish Hugh Laurie before "House"?  Where are his longtime PBS affiliate fans?
And he wrote a clever novel about 10-15   years ago that we checked out from our local library.
And he plays a mean N'walins-style piano.

:P
There's nothing wrong with ambivalence--is there?

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "SallyMutant"Permission to shout "Yah Boo" really  loudly , sir!
Didn't anyone in the U.S. relish Hugh Laurie before "House"?  Where are his longtime PBS affiliate fans?
And he wrote a clever novel about 10-15   years ago that we checked out from our local library.
And he plays a mean N'walins-style piano.

:D

If you're a purist:
[youtube:2svh13dl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DrJI7mTHQ[/youtube:2svh13dl]

Or his Bravo version
[youtube:2svh13dl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UES4IBxCzfc[/youtube:2svh13dl]

And yes, The Gun Seller is hilarious.
-Curio

Recusant

I know this has gotten a bit off topic, but I thought I'd throw one more Hugh Laurie (and Stephen Fry) reference into the mix:  It's possible to watch all of the excellent "Jeeves and Wooster" series (it was all too brief) on YouTube.

[youtube:bg4i4d1z]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph4GQeJyyjw[/youtube:bg4i4d1z]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken