News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Richard Dawkins iPad Book

Started by McQ, September 28, 2011, 11:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

I bought a new iPad book today. It's a totally e-version of his book, The Magic of Reality. At least I think that's the title. I'm really enjoying it, too. Even though I know the book is written for a younger audience and/or those not familiar with science, I still really dig how he explains topics and how interactive it is.

There seems to be just the right amount of gimmicky iPad stuff, and it's presented in a straightforward way. Great art, drawings, illustrations in this on every page.

I hope it does well with sales.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: McQ on September 28, 2011, 11:54:12 PM
I bought a new iPad book today. It's a totally e-version of his book, The Magic of Reality. At least I think that's the title. I'm really enjoying it, too. Even though I know the book is written for a younger audience and/or those not familiar with science, I still really dig how he explains topics and how interactive it is.

There seems to be just the right amount of gimmicky iPad stuff, and it's presented in a straightforward way. Great art, drawings, illustrations in this on every page.

Maybe Happy Forever should read it?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Xjeepguy

Quote from: Tank on September 29, 2011, 07:54:01 AM
Quote from: McQ on September 28, 2011, 11:54:12 PM

Maybe Happy Forever should read it?
That would require one to remove the blinders and listen to reason and REAL science. I wouldn't hold your breath lol.
If I were re-born 1000 times, it would be as an atheist 1000 times. -Heisenberg

Siz

Hmm, interesting. Can you tell me to what agegroup it is aimed?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

McQ

Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 29, 2011, 08:40:35 PM

That is a difficult question to answer and I'm afraid my answer may not help much.

It depends on the person. Anyone schooled well in sciences may find it fun to use, but also find the information redundant. But if I had to guess, I'd say it's good for any decently educated person from age nine and up, with a focus on nine to 18. It's just that the presentation can seem childish at times, especially when Dawkin's voice is heard. He sounds a bit like he's talking to children.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: McQ on September 29, 2011, 09:04:44 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on September 29, 2011, 08:40:35 PM

That is a difficult question to answer and I'm afraid my answer may not help much.

It depends on the person. Anyone schooled well in sciences may find it fun to use, but also find the information redundant. But if I had to guess, I'd say it's good for any decently educated person from age nine and up, with a focus on nine to 18. It's just that the presentation can seem childish at times, especially when Dawkin's voice is heard. He sounds a bit like he's talking to children.
He can't help it, he always sounds like that  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.