News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Compelling suffering and "brokenness"- help!

Started by epsteinian, December 06, 2010, 04:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: "Wilson"I don't know if you're a sociopath or not.  Tell us, do you feel empathy for anybody?
Well... Yeah... I think  :raised:

It has to be someone I know for me to care on more than principle though. (Not necessarilly a friend - having talked to someone twice or thrice without developing an allergy to them is enough "knowing")
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

SCREW it! This is my LAST attempt to reply with this sucky connection!  :D I never learn to CTRL+C my posts before clicking "send" when my router is in warlike mood.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Kylyssa

The Christian idolization of suffering is one of the biggest stumbling blocks in the fight against homelessness.  Seriously, some people think homeless people should be left alone to suffer and that helping them is hurting their souls.  Holy shit, how crazy is that?

Not all Christians feel that way but enough do that it's a royal pain in the ass.

Wilson

Quote from: "Asmodean"Yes, I think I'm capable of empathy towards someone I know (having talked to a person a few times without becoming allergic to them counts as "knowing")

Otherwise, I may care on principle, but not genuinely. (Kids starving, people getting dismembered by landmines and whatnot are examples of that. Do I approve..? No. Do I *really* care - or care enough to do something about it..? No.)

Sounds like you do have less empathy than the average person.

The classic definition of "sociopathy" (the current preferred term is "antisocial personality disorder") includes the following.  You can judge for yourself whether you fit most of these criteria or not:

Glibness and Superficial Charm
Manipulative and Conning
Grandiose Sense of Self
Pathological Lying
Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
Shallow Emotions
Incapacity for Love
Need for Stimulation
Callousness/Lack of Empathy
Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility

Secondary criteria:
Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them
Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them
Authoritarian
Secretive
Paranoid
Incapable of real human attachment to another
Unable to feel remorse or guilt
Extreme narcissism and grandiose

If you're interested in playing the diagnosis game, let us know which of those describe you.  It's not all or none.  Many of us have some of those qualities.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Wilson"The classic definition of "sociopathy" (the current preferred term is "antisocial personality disorder") includes the following.  You can judge for yourself whether you fit most of these criteria or not:
Thanks for playing  :P[/i]
Incapacity for Love To genuinely love someone... Yes, I think so, actually. I *really* suck at this whole loving thing
Need for Stimulation Defined this loosely, we all have that.
Callousness/Lack of Empathy This we have established, yes?  :D
Irresponsibility/Unreliability Yes/No (Very reliable to those I'm loyal to - especially when it matters)
Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity No, I don't think so
Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle Pretty much/Possibly, but I don't think so
Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility Criminal..? No. Versatility..? More than one guy needs for a healthy living

Secondary criteria:
Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them Depends on the person. If (s)he is my intellectual equal or superior, no.
Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them No... I have my flaws.
Authoritarian Depends. I am, and yet I am not.
Secretive Yes.
Paranoid Highly.
Incapable of real human attachment to another Oh, I am able, just not willing.
Unable to feel remorse or guilt Covered.
Extreme narcissism and grandiose Covered. Extreme..? No. Narcissism..? Maybe.

QuoteIf you're interested in playing the diagnosis game, let us know which of those describe you.  It's not all or none.  Many of us have some of those qualities.
:pop:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Wilson

Thanks for participating.  My sympathies on the lack of promiscuity.

From your answers, I'd conclude that you are not a full-on sociopath.  Not Mother Theresa, either.

Five cents, please.

Inevitable Droid

Quote from: "Asmodean"Otherwise, I may care on principle, but not genuinely. (Kids starving, people getting dismembered by landmines and whatnot are examples of that. Do I approve..? No. Do I *really* care - or care enough to do something about it..? No.)

Landmine victims and starving kids get no help from me either, sad to say.  Oh, but I have two daughters who avail themselves of my help with great regularity.  Wolves and bats would be grateful to me too, if gratitude were in their bag of tricks.
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Wilson"Five cents, please.
Half a diagnosis earns you HALF a cent.  :P

EDIT: Oh, and I am just asexual enough not to be bothered by my lack of promiscuity. That does not mean, however, that I will not do someone I find hot if that person is open to doing me  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Wilson

Thanks, Asmodean, for taking the questionnaire in the spirit of fun with which it was intended.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Wilson"Thanks, Asmodean, for taking the questionnaire in the spirit of fun with which it was intended.
Eh well... I don't know whether or not I'm a sociopath, but I kind of doubt that I am since that is one name no shrink has ever called me. Still, for five cents I ought to get at least a five-letter diagnosis, yes?  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Inevitable Droid

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Wilson"Thanks, Asmodean, for taking the questionnaire in the spirit of fun with which it was intended.
Eh well... I don't know whether or not I'm a sociopath, but I kind of doubt that I am since that is one name no shrink has ever called me. Still, for five cents I ought to get at least a five-letter diagnosis, yes?  :)
Oppose Abraham.

[Missing image]

In the face of mystery, do science, not theology.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Inevitable Droid"Six letters and for free: honest. :P

I am honest with myself though. Brutally so, at times. It's a learned skill.  :pop:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.