News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Hello :)

Started by Byrath, February 27, 2007, 09:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byrath

Hi all. After a bit of time spent lurking and reading atheist websites and blogs, I decided I aught to find someplace to participate in discussions, hopefully here will work well for me :) This event finally convinced me once and for all that the 'power of prayer' is not real, and that all so-called answered prayers are nothing but coincidence. Unanswered prayers get forgotten, and the few that could be interpreted as answered are remembered as amazing miracles.

I'm no genius, but I hope I can keep up and have some good conversations with you people. Well met! :)

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Byrath"After applying a bit of logic though, I knew that thousands of people elsewhere were surely also praying for the exact same thing, and they got hammered by the storm.
Maybe they were just praying to the wrong god(s).

anyway, welcome.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

SteveS

Hi Byrath,

I just joined myself.  It's funny to me how people believe in prayer.  When I was in college, I had a physic lab partner who asked me if I wanted to go on a weekend church retreat with her.  I said no (some things I wouldn't do, even if a girl asked, besides I doubt they had beer), and pointed out that I was not religious.  What followed was the worst ever conversion attempt applied to my person.  She explained that she was sure religion was true and real because once she lost her driver's license.  She looked everywhere in her room, but was sure it was not there.  So she sat down and prayed to Jesus to help her find her license.  When she opened her eyes she saw it laying on the floor.

So, I should believe in God, Jesus, and the whole ball of yarn because once she lost her driver's license, took a break to relax, then found it and was convinced that Jesus was responsible.  Amazing.  And the whole time we are sitting in a physics lab!

Steve

Byrath

Good story, Steve  :lol:

Almost certainly that girl was already 99.9% convinced that the god-myth is true, I can't imagine anyone who is actually unsure taking that as proof of god. Using that story to try to convince others though, that's really pathetic.

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, Byrath.

McQ

Welcome to the forum, Byrath and SteveS. May you be fruitful and multiply.  :)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette