News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Health and Social Darwinism (Split Topic)

Started by Kylyssa, August 24, 2009, 04:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Quote from: "Grizzly"Shit, I've had those " necessity" jobs you talk about, I guess you don't realize that starting pay for most of those jobs is about ten dollars an hour, and  quite frankly, I've never once been on welfare, I've never had health insurance, and I've paid every hospital bill I've had.

Starting pay for unskilled necessary job is minimum wage and in times like these it would be hard to get in on, say, a construction job if you don't have prior experience since the labor pool is filled with experience workers ready to work. You do realize that is is necessary to have stockers, cashiers, etc for us to be able to buy items we need (and don't need).  

Just because you have been able to pay every medical bill without insurance doesn't mean someone else can; get the right thing wrong with you and are only skilled/well enough to work a minimum wage cashier job and you would be in trouble financially pretty quickly.  Imagine that you are married and you and your spouse decide to have a child.  The pregnancy goes well but then the doctors find out there is something medically wrong with the child that can be fixed but will cost one hundred thousand dollars after hospital stay fees and surgery costs.  You are left with the option to not have the procedure done (child neglect?) or go into severe debt.  

QuoteWhitney
No one should have to work their ass off seven days a week and still not make enough to afford health insurance.

Why not? It's not like stupid people deserve good paying jobs.I've worked with a fair number of people who need to be taken out back and shot before they breed.
I'm not saying everyone should live a life of luxury but everyone should be paid well enough to afford basic needs....access to quality health care (mainly only obtainable with insurance in the US) should be a basic need.
Whitney
Could you be less abrasive with your wording?

Pfft. Abrasive isn't a bad thing, especially not when telling the truth.

I'd appreciate if you respected the forum rules...abrasive is a bad thing here because we promote a civil atmosphere.  Just because you agree with someone doesn't mean they are telling the truth.

QuoteI think a few of us have already established that we don't think someone is worthless just because they are down on their luck and/or have a less desireable job and that it is not easy (in the USA) to move up from that position since they are barely paid enough to survive.
Down on their luck, do you have any idea how many cases of welfare fraud the government would find if they only took the time too look? The real problem in America is that most people living in the bottom bracket have lost touch with the idea that you do whatever you can to make money. Thyinking you're too good to pave a road is the reason these morons are making seven dollars an hour at walmart instead of $14  working a shovel for eight hours a day.

How do you know welfare fraud is that high...guessing?  What makes you think there are enough shovel jobs out there for anyone that wants one?  What makes you think everyone is physically capable of that amount of physical activity and heat/cold exposure?

Brizz

Quote from: "Whitney"What makes you think everyone is physically capable of that amount of physical activity and heat/cold exposure?

Alright, I'm done. You guys are a liberal brick wall. If you guys have such a boner for evolution, you should know what man has been through. EVER HEARD OF THE INUIT? KNOW HOW HOT AFRICA GETS?

Man is resilient, and you are wimps.

Whitney

Quote from: "Brizz"
Quote from: "Whitney"What makes you think everyone is physically capable of that amount of physical activity and heat/cold exposure?

Alright, I'm done. You guys are a liberal brick wall. If you guys have such a boner for evolution, you should know what man has been through. EVER HEARD OF THE INUIT? KNOW HOW HOT AFRICA GETS?

Man is resilient, and you are wimps.

Brizz....so we should let those who aren't physically capable of having a decent paying grunt work job struggle?    

Are you purposely trying to misread things people type?  Anyway...feel free to go, I won't talk you out of it.

Kylyssa

There's no point trying to discuss the value of human life with a religious Social Darwinist.  I've found that many believers are sure that misfortune is either a punishment from a higher power or the direct result of mistakes and bad choices which also should be punished.  They don't see the possibility of falling on bad health or misfortune themselves because they have a strong feeling of superiority and a conviction that bad things only happen to people who are emotional weaklings or mentally ill - both of which they see as choices.

I don't think I've actually ever met a non-religious Social Darwinist.  I think it takes belief in the supernatural to make people feel superior and insulated from human frailties themselves to the point they no longer feel empathy or responsibility for their fellow man.

Reginus

Anyone read the Pendragon books? Reminds me of Ravinia.
"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill