News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

New to the forum!

Started by tchurch, April 25, 2012, 08:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchurch

Hey everyone; my name is Torie and I'm a university student from Canada. I've had the benefit of being raised in a religiously neutral household, fully able to choose a religion for myself if I wanted or remain an atheist if it suited me better. Needless to say, I chose the latter.

I dabbled in Christianity for a month or so in my teen years after being dragged to a suspiciously compelling youth group by a friend (I can see why it could attract a lonely teen in need of guidance) but it never stuck; there were too many inconsistencies. I found some solace in prayer but soon realized it wasn't a conversation with a deity but an act of relaxation and reflection that I could easily practice without supernatural involvement. That realization set me on a track of skepticism and so far, there is no hell-fire in sight.

If there's a Bible Belt of Canada, I live in it. I deal with religious bigotry on a daily basis as a queer woman and I feel increasingly frustrated with it. Even my (public) university has a couple creationist science profs, although this is seen as a bit of an embarrassment for most of the students.

Now you know a bit about me. Talk to you all soon!

Tank

Hello Torie

We have Canadians here and lesbians. Now we have a Canadian lesbian! Is there no end to the 'win'!!!  ;D

Feel free  to add your unique perspectives to the collective. Resistance is futile!!!!

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ladyblackwell

Hello! I'm brand new to the forum too, so I can't wait to get to know you better!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on April 25, 2012, 08:22:28 AM
We have Canadians here and lesbians. Now we have a Canadian lesbian! Is there no end to the 'win'!!!  ;D

I thought we already had one.
I recommend fish oil tablets and vitamin B, particularly if imbibing alcohol.
This may not solve your problems but at least you'll know (if you make a note of it) you tried to slow the inevitable decline.

Welcome tchurch, our current two Canadians are particularly nice, or at least they pretend to be.... 

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 25, 2012, 09:30:32 AM
Quote from: Tank on April 25, 2012, 08:22:28 AM
We have Canadians here and lesbians. Now we have a Canadian lesbian! Is there no end to the 'win'!!!  ;D

I thought we already had one.
I recommend fish oil tablets and vitamin B, particularly if imbibing alcohol.
This may not solve your problems but at least you'll know (if you make a note of it) you tried to slow the inevitable decline.

Welcome tchurch, our current two Canadians are particularly nice, or at least they pretend to be....  

Amicale?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

OldGit

Greetings, tchurch.  I won't argue about the details of how many Indonesian bisexuals we have, but all such are most welcome.

Don't get confused about Tanks and Asmos, either - they're all relatively harmless. 

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on April 25, 2012, 09:50:40 AM
Greetings, tchurch.  I won't argue about the details of how many Indonesian bisexuals we have, but all such are most welcome.

Don't get confused about Tanks and Asmos, either - they're all relatively harmless. 

We are having an identity crisis!!!

OldGit

I'd never have guessed.  ;D

Asmodean

Hello Torie

Feel free  to add your unique perspectives to the collective. Resistance is futile!!!!

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
the *REAL* Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Hi Torie

Things are not normally this mad around here, today is a good day

Asmodean

Asmo may be posing as Tank, but he has a point.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Hello! I'm one of the other Canadians.  ;D When you say the "bible belt" of Canada, do you mean Alberta?
I hope you like it here.  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Torie. Thank you for that nice introduction. Out of curiosity, what fields are the Creationist professors teaching in?

I hope that you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Anne D.