News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Hello From A New Member

Started by Invictus, April 08, 2012, 06:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Hi Invictus, and welcome!  I'm also a DA devotee.  Have you read The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul?  That's actually my favorite book by Douglas Adams; I like it even more that the Hitchhiker series.

Over 50 years with your wife!  How lovely!  I hope to be there someday.  I've been married to my hubby for almost 7 years, and together almost 9, and it already feels like a lifetime.  LOL

What did you do before you retired?

Invictus

Hello All,

Budhorse4, thanks for responding.  See you around the forum.

Ali, thanks also to you.  Yes I've read both the Dirk Gently novels, as well as the incomplete/unfinished Salmon of Doubt, in the posthumous volume of that name, which was to have been the third in that series.  (Have you read it?  If not, and you do, don't expect a finished product.  But it's fun to have the opportunity to see what he had in the works.  And that's all I'll give away about that.)  I've enjoyed all of Adams' writings, I'm just more used to the Guide series because of having them on tape and being able to listen to them so often when puttering around.  What a wit.

Invictus

chic

Quote from: Invictus on April 09, 2012, 05:47:23 PM

Chic, good to know that we're about the same generation.  Sounds like we may be in the minority here.  May lead to some interesting generational perspectives when they let us into the other posting areas.

Invictus

I hear you on the generation gap but I read somewhere that the 70's is our best decade.  Don't ask me why.  All of my friends complain about something.  I went Vegan cold turkey last September because I didn't want to join what I call "the Bypass Class," i.e. several of my friends even younger had multiple bypass surgery.  As a benefit from being a vegan, I lost 33 lbs.  Fortunately I saved some old clothes that still fit, never mind the fraying and the holes.

And thank you for being my Post #10 - see you in the big boys forums!  LOL

Invictus

Hello Chic,

Glad to have been of service in helping you get to your 10th post.  Vegan, huh?  I'm not there, but I generally don't eat beef and watch my calories, weight and cholesterol, and exercise.  Like you, I want to be around to enjoy retirement as long as possible, and remain as healthy as I can.  This is my 7th post, so hopefully I'm not far from being let loose.

Have at 'em.  See you around the forum.

Invictus

Invictus

Hello enerExpoveJer,

Thanks for responding to my Introductory post thread, but is there any way you could re-do your post so I and any others who join in can read it?

Invictus

Amicale

Quote from: Invictus on April 10, 2012, 02:47:19 PM
Hello enerExpoveJer,

Thanks for responding to my Introductory post thread, but is there any way you could re-do your post so I and any others who join in can read it?

Invictus

If you see stuff like that, 99.99% of the time, it's spam. Especially if it has a link in it. Down at the bottom right of the post there's a 'report to moderator' button, if you click it, enter a quick comment and hit submit, a mod'll come along eventually and get rid of the spam. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Ali

I didn't know that there were other Dirk Gently novels other than LDTotS!!!!! How exciting! (Off to google...)

Invictus

Hello Ali,

Yes, the first was just called "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency," but you've probably gathered that by now.  I haven't re-read it for years.  The several posts that have mentioned Douglas Adams these last couple days since I joined the forum have now made me want to go back and re-read these other novels.  But I'm in the midst of reading a couple other books and I know what'll happen if I switch back to D.A.

Enjoy!

Invictus

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Invictus on April 09, 2012, 02:26:51 AM
Thank you, Anne D.  I appreciate the compliment.  You appear to have joined this forum relatively recently, given the 123 total posts, compared to the several thousands tallied by others who have responded.

I look forward to hearing from you in future posts.

Invictus
Welcome from another somewhat newb!!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins