News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Why the Soul Can't be Real

Started by MadBomr101, April 05, 2012, 05:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBomr101

This has always been a thing with me, the claim that in the afterlife our souls will either experience eternal happiness and bliss, or eternal pain and torment.  But I see a problem with this thinking.  Consider the following...

Scenario -1 : You eat a piece of chocolate and experience both a pleasant physical and emotional reaction - the enjoyment of the taste of the chocolate as it melts in your mouth and the contentment you feel as a result of this.

Scenario - 2: You're a smoker.  You're enjoying your favorite brand of cigarette and taking a long, draw to get all the nicotine goodness deep into your lungs.  Suddenly you jump in pain as hot ash falls from the tip and sears your balls.  Yes, for some reason you're smoking naked.  The pleasure has become pain.

The point of this is that emotions and physical responses are entirely the product of a complex organic system which receives input from our senses, is processed by the brain and is then experienced either physically or emotionally by the individual.

The soul is not a complex organic system, it is the spiritual, non-corporeal remnant of the complex organic system that is now sitting in an urn on your widow's mantle.  Since the soul has shed its organic shell, there is no way it can experience physical or emotional stimuli of any kind.  Ostensibly then, all those souls in Hell are feeling no pain and all those souls in Heaven are experiencing no joy.  The complex organic system that processed those stimuli is dead. 

So a soul, if it were real, would be immune to suffering and incapable of emotion.  If it reacted with these responses to a given stimuli, it would have to be as a resut of it merely remembering what sort of response a given stimuli should generate.  Of course memory is also a product of the same complex organic system that is now dead so it wouldn't be capable of that either.

Which means all this stuff about a soul is just more religious detritus to be jettisoned as quickly as possible.

There is no soul.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Stevil

Quote from: MadBomr101 on April 05, 2012, 05:21:12 AM
The point of this is that emotions and physical responses are entirely the product of a complex organic system
Unfortunately, you can't know that this statement is true.
Scientifically they can prove that emotions and physical responses are associated with complex organic systems.
But they can't prove that their isn't a metaphysical soul also associated with complex organic systems. They can't prove it, because souls cannot be measured or observed, therefore they cannot observe a correlation between the soul and the complex organic system.

This stuff is entirely in the realm of theology. They have spent thousands of years sorting out the logic of their theology, they have an answer for everything. None of the answers ever tie into anything that can ever be measured. How they ensure that their explanations remain untestable is that they only stick to conceptual terms. The soul is a concept, so is the mind, so is morality, so is god and heaven, so is good and evil. They are not dumb, they know what they are doing.

I was talking to a catholic, she was telling me that your soul is where your memories are. I suggested that if that is the case then why do brain damaged people sometimes have memory problems. She said because the body uses the brain to access the soul's memories. BS answer, but you can't test for it. It remains conceptual, a person can choose to believe it or not.

Too Few Lions

yeah, there's no soul. It's weird that people still cling to ideas formulated by people thousands of years ago who didn't have any of the medical / neurological knowledge we have today. It's like still believing that the universe is made from four elements.

fester30

Scenario - 2: You're a smoker.  You're enjoying your favorite brand of cigarette and taking a long, draw to get all the nicotine goodness deep into your lungs.  Suddenly you jump in pain as hot ash falls from the tip and sears your balls.  Yes, for some reason you're smoking naked.  The pleasure has become pain.

Been there.  Done that.

Asmodean

Quote from: fester30 on April 05, 2012, 11:53:25 AM

Been there.  Done that.
Have been a smoker for years, both naked and otherwise... Never did that.

What I did do many times, however, is get a cig stuck to my lips, so when I try holding it with two fingers, they slide along and end up holding the ember.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

If you play with fire, you're gonna get burnt.

MariaEvri

there is a document called "the ghost in the machine" by If I remember correctly
EBON MUSING
or something like that...
it explains perfectly how the brain works and how it is impossible for a soul to exist. Unfortunately I have it greek and I dont think linking you to the greek translation would help
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on April 05, 2012, 07:35:32 PM
Played a lot with fire, never gor burned by it. That saying is just bullshit.

Got some molten plastic, cigarette and hot metal burns, but those are not fire - just hot objects.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on April 05, 2012, 08:41:47 PM

Got some molten plastic, cigarette and hot metal burns, but those are not fire - just hot objects.
So you were holding the ember but didn't get burned.
Are you some kind of superhero?

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on April 05, 2012, 08:41:47 PM

For some reason, picturing you smoking with your lips pierced is kinda sexy~
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on April 05, 2012, 09:07:17 PM
Oh, I did get burned. But not by fire.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 05, 2012, 09:09:09 PM
Yes, some do find it so.

Me, I don't think it's the smoking that's sexy - it's how you do it, just like with everything else.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on April 05, 2012, 09:17:07 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 05, 2012, 09:09:09 PM
Yes, some do find it so.

Me, I don't think it's the smoking that's sexy - it's how you do it, just like with everything else.

Oh, I totally agree~  <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on April 05, 2012, 09:15:48 PM
Quote from: Stevil on April 05, 2012, 09:07:17 PM
Oh, I did get burned. But not by fire.
Your cigarette doesn't burn with fire?
Does it smoke due to chemical reaction?

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on April 05, 2012, 09:25:06 PM
Your cigarette doesn't burn with fire?
Does it smoke due to chemical reaction?
Oxidation is not rapid enough. It is hot, but it's not burning - just smoldering. When you actively draw the smoke in, however, it comes very close to what one would consider burning.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.